KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by alejandro46 »

I think Icelandair not buying Wow was the right call, even though prices will likely go up.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

St. Louis does seem higher in cost, but that seems to be a different comparison. I’ve never paid $1400 to London, ever. I have paid that to London connecting to South Africa. But, peak prices to Paris have always been around $1000 and still are with IA being about 15% higher still. Perhaps, there is enough buzz about IA to justify higher prices and planes are full. Interesting to see what happens when the buzz dies down and if IA will return to price leader like last year.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:15 am St. Louis does seem higher in cost, but that seems to be a different comparison. I’ve never paid $1400 to London, ever. I have paid that to London connecting to South Africa. But, peak prices to Paris have always been around $1000 and still are with IA being about 15% higher still. Perhaps, there is enough buzz about IA to justify higher prices and planes are full. Interesting to see what happens when the buzz dies down and if IA will return to price leader like last year.
I had trouble finding lower prices from St. Louis with United and that was the cheapest possible option they had. It was a couple hundred dollars more for a standard ticket

Maybe prices are cheaper if you look more than 5 months out?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm finding it cheaper to just piece together flights from the East Coast to go to Europe.

For Example in September its $370 Roundtrip (United Airlines booking) to Fly from EWR-MAD - That same flight from KC is over $1600, you are better off just buying a separate MCI-EWR ticket ($265 RT), spend a night in EWR or give yourself enough time to make the EWR-MAD connection

We are doing that in October - BCN-BOS flight was 135 bucks one way. The BOS-MCI flight was almost more expensive than the BCN-BOS flight, its on level airlines, so i'm assuming it will be like WOW or Norwegian
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:49 pm FI has cancelled service to Halifax. We have to be high on the list of places to cut.
They just dropped a bunch of money on SKC.
Icelandair was everywhere at the Sporting Game today.
krotering
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by krotering »

Is there a good place to see when non-stop flights to Cancun begin and end throughout the year?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 pm German Government(tourism groups) have been spending money in KC recently. Hopefully this trend leads to a direct flight.
2 notes today:

1. Per twitter... KC Aviation staff have been traveling to/from Germany relatively frequently in the past 4-6 months.

2. German Federal Foreign Office is sponsoring a 1 year cultural exchange in the Crossroads.
https://www.goethe.de/ins/us/en/m/sta/ppk.html

Could a flight to Germany be in our 1-2 year horizon?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mic ... 63860&mt=2

CoastlessKC interviewed Micheal R. of Icelandair today. (8:45 mark)
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

krotering wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:51 pm Is there a good place to see when non-stop flights to Cancun begin and end throughout the year?
Apple Vacations/Frontier is here.

http://www.applevacations.com/flight-sc ... nsas_city/

Delta looks like it is Saturday thru August 10. Then starts back up mid December
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 pm German Government(tourism groups) have been spending money in KC recently. Hopefully this trend leads to a direct flight.
2 notes today:

1. Per twitter... KC Aviation staff have been traveling to/from Germany relatively frequently in the past 4-6 months.

2. German Federal Foreign Office is sponsoring a 1 year cultural exchange in the Crossroads.
https://www.goethe.de/ins/us/en/m/sta/ppk.html

Could a flight to Germany be in our 1-2 year horizon?
The only airline I could see coming is Condor. It would be sweet to have flights to Dusseldorf over Frankfurt but it's not likely it would happen since Frankfurt is the main hub for Condor.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:36 pm https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mic ... 63860&mt=2

I just got a chance to listen to this and it was interesting even if no real news.

The takeaway is that the KC route seems to be doing good enough.

Question for people smarter than me: does Iceland air do much connecting in the US with other airlines, or do they largely just look at the catchment area of the airport and demand from there?

In other words, would they benefit from coming in early to kci and building up a reputation while the market is underserved with a shit airport, and then ramping up service once they can more easily connect passengers at the new airport?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Icelandair’s US connecting partners are Alaskan and JetBlue. So probably not unless one of those two starts up connecting operations here
Last edited by normalthings on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:45 pm
krotering wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:51 pm Is there a good place to see when non-stop flights to Cancun begin and end throughout the year?

Delta looks like it is Saturday thru August 10. Then starts back up mid December
Pretty sure American does as well
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 pm
dev49 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Pretty sure American does as well
There was no AA on the schedule this year that I could find.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:24 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:36 pm https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mic ... 63860&mt=2

I just got a chance to listen to this and it was interesting even if no real news.

The takeaway is that the KC route seems to be doing good enough.

Question for people smarter than me: does Iceland air do much connecting in the US with other airlines, or do they largely just look at the catchment area of the airport and demand from there?

In other words, would they benefit from coming in early to kci and building up a reputation while the market is underserved with a shit airport, and then ramping up service once they can more easily connect passengers at the new airport?
I would say maintain the same LoS if demand continues. Airlines have recently realized (a) hub+spoke not the best model and (b) fewer flights and higher per seat revenue is the best bet.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Noticed the May Iceland flights have been moved to a 757.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:28 pm Noticed the May Iceland flights have been moved to a 757.
Seat map is looking pretty full for the first flight out. There are only 3 seats left for sale according to the booking portal.

(Not everyone who bought seats picked their seat. This explains the empty’s on the map.
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

C-suite exec at JetBlue said that they will probably start MCI service once the new terminal comes online. Have heard similar from multiple other sources as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exciting!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 pm C-suite exec at JetBlue said that they will probably start MCI service once the new terminal comes online. Have heard similar from multiple other sources as well.
But... but... didn't all the naysayers claim the new terminal wouldn't bring in new flights or travel options?