KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by eomaha.com »

When's the last time you took a train Trailer... it practically costs as much as flying! :) Of course the journey is much more pleasurable.

(I do enjoy trips to Chicago however... the ultimate mass transit vacation)

http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/chicago/

As for the 'Kings'... I can't imagine KC would ever let that happen again (or at least not most of those representatives on this forum :P )... we would of course be ecstatic with such a renewed arrangement in Omaha.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Routes being chopped include four to Chicago-Midway, two to Oklahoma City, the only non-stop to Manchester, NH, one flight to St. Louis and one flight to LAX. KC will now have 60 departures from KCI.

Let's hope now that Southwest goes ahead with it's agreesive expansion plans at KCI once the renovations are done in their section. They were planning on upping the flights to about 125 a day from KCI once expansion is complete.
Southwest will cut nine flights from KCI

Jerry LaMartina
Staff Writer

Southwest Airlines will cut nine flights from Kansas City International Airport starting Oct. 31 as part of its effort to save an estimated $60 million a year through flight reductions in certain markets.

Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Brandy King said Monday that the company will have the same total number of flights after cutting 88 flights, which she called a "repositioning (of) aircraft." The airline chose underused flights for the cuts and will use the aircraft for more popular flights, she said.

The reductions from KCI include:

Four daily nonstop flights to Chicago, leaving 12 flights to Chicago.
Two flights to Oklahoma City, leaving four flights.
One flight to Manchester, N.H., leaving no flights to that city.
One flight to St. Louis, leaving five flights.
One flight to Los Angeles, leaving four flights.

Southwest will have 61 departures from KCI after the cuts, said Joe McBride, a spokesman for the Kansas City Aviation Department.

"Certainly, the passenger demand has been low since Sept. 11 and is just now starting to come back in Kansas City," McBride said. "And Southwest is taking advantage of US Airways' troubles in Philadelphia and has started service in that city, and to do so, it had to take airplanes out of markets that aren't performing well."

REACH JERRY LAMARTINA at 816-421-5900 or jlamartina@bizjournals.com.
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Good to see MCI, got slapped with losing 9 flights. The airport is already struggling to gain flights since post 9/11, this is obviously no help. I thought when the renovations are complete that SWA is going to have 10 gates. This would leave room for more flights. Hopefully we will see those 9 flights come back and then some.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

It looks like Midwest is planning more non-stops from KCI and they will announce them Monday. From the Biz Journal, it looks like one of the cities is currently served only seasonally from KCI (probably San Fran) and will go to a year-round non-stop. The other two are completely new non-stops from KCI. (If I had to guess, I would say Boston is a prime target. I still can't believe we don't have a non-stop there).

Here's the article...
Midwest Airlines will add service from KCI

Midwest Airlines Inc. will add year-round nonstop service between Kansas City International Airport and three cities.

The company won't say which cities will get the service until a press conference scheduled for Monday. At that press conference, Midwest Airlines also plans to announce the selection of a new executive director for its Kansas City region.

Midwest Airlines has no executive director at KCI, one of two hubs for the airline. The other larger hub is in Milwaukee, where the airline is based.

Randy Smith, vice president of sales for Midwest Airlines, said Friday that one of the new cities to be served from KCI is currently served seasonally. The other two cities aren't served at all from KCI, though one was before cuts made in the aftermath of 9/11, he said.

In July, Midwest Airlines increased the number of daily departures from KCI to New York's La Guardia Airport from two to three, added a third flight from KCI to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and a sixth daily flight to Milwaukee's General Mitchell International Airport.

Midwest's daily departures from KCI also include two to Orange County, Calf.; two to San Antonio; and one to San Francisco.

The airline targets business travelers.

© 2004 American City Business Journals Inc.
Matt
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I've never flown Midwest, but they basically seem like the top dog in KC. I like that they also think of KC as their second home... :wink:
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

I love Midwest. If it wasn't for Southwest's cheap fares and non-stops everywhere, I would fly Midwest more. Most of the time, the price is worth it. I love the wide leather seats with head and foot rests. The cookies onboard are great and they have the Inflight Cafe meals for purchase (which aren't bad). The service is great and you're treated similar to how you would be in first class.

I have flown the MCI-SNA (Orange County) route several times and am looking forward to the expansion. From what I've read too, Midwest is the favorite airline among KC passengers (not just business travelers).

Matt
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

I love Midwest, too. Basically first class throughout the whole plane except for meals and booze for not much more than other flights, sometimes if you're lucky for the same price. They used to have a New Orleans flight I took several times and also a seasonal Ft. Myers flight.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I still haven't tried Midwest yet but (unless the price is outrageous) will try their Orange County/KCI flight. I've heard good things and the cookies are a nice twist. I work across the street from the OC airport so every time I see a Midwest plane landing, I know where it came from.

Otherwise I'll try Frontier again. Loved the DirectTV in every seat and enjoyed the Denver layover.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We need jetBlue!!!!

Here are the flights. Seasonal to Ft. Lauderdale and NOLA (winter/spring) and the San Fran flight is now year round.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Frontier is or has started nonstop flights to Mexico - I think Cancun. I read it in their magazine this summer flying to KC. Only a little over a 3 hour flight for a quick winter getaway to a tropical resort. They had prices listed around $200 RT as I recall. Or maybe under $200?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I used to love Midwest when they gave you free drinks, free food, leg room, silverware, and ceramic dishes. They unfortunately got rid of all this- started charging for food and drinks, moved the seats closer together, and started giving you plastic flatware with your $10 meal. They seem to have become just another airline, except they still charge more.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dan, I think that was a seasonal non-stop during the summer....which I don't get....if seasonal, why not the WINTER when I want OUT?

Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

KCPowercat wrote:dan, I think that was a seasonal non-stop during the summer....which I don't get....if seasonal, why not the WINTER when I want OUT?
The MCI-Cancun flights are year-round. And, starting Nov. 7, they go from just once a week (Saturday) to three times a week (Mon., Wed., Sat.)

Matt
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool. I read the article in the biz journal wrong....it said the temp. price ends in the fall, not the flight.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily43.html

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

With all the room KCI has and long runways, I think they should try and attract a hub for overseas flights with the new A380 double-decker plane that will be flying in a couple years. Many airports can't handle the plane and have to do a lot of upgrades before they can handle it. Probably the only issue KCI would have would be unloading 400 passengers into the terminal at once. Or they could build a new international terminal for the A380 flights only.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DanCa,
That would be really cool but very wishful thinking. We do not have the passenger base to fill an A380 that is flying international. We would actually need to expand the runways to at least 11,500 ft to accomodate the A380 and like you said build a new terminal. There is a great article in the business section of the Star about the state of air travel and KCI.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I know KC couldn't fill international flights like that. But if it were the only airport in the Midwest w/these flights, the hub would attract passengers from all over the center of the country. People would fly from Mpls, Dallas, Denver St. Louis, Chicago, etc. to connect to their international flight.

My understanding was that length-wise, any runway that could handle a 747 could handle the A380? If the space shuttle piggy-backing a 747 can take off from KCI, I'd think the A380 could.

Purely wishful thinking.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

That would wind up costing the airlines millions more, per year, in fuel alone, than upgrading a more convenient, more popular airport.

Plus, airbuses wreak havoc on my ears, for some reason. I have no trouble at all on Boeings and MCDs, though.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

American will discontinue three nonstop flights from NY to KC on 6/8/05. Not really sure why yet. Hopefully some other carriers will pick up the slack.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

That really sucks. I use them to LGA a few times a year. Midwest also goes direct to LGA so I imagine they'll pick up the slack but they can probably raise the rates now.

EDIT: I just checked and American has direct to both LGA and JFK. Did they mention which they'll be cutting? Looks like direct flights will still be covered to all three airports nevertheless. Continental/Northwest have directs to JFK and Continental also has several directs to Newark.

I'd rather see American cut JFK than LGA. But the only reason I don't use Midwest is because the don't have enough flight options. If American cuts LGA, Midwest could have more flight options and I'd use them.