KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by hartliss »

swid wrote:New Orleans was the 37th-busiest airport (by number of passenger boardings) in the US last year...KCI was #38.

There was an article in the Star a couple years ago noting that about 300 people/day go from KCI to Europe in the summer season.
Yea, one of the bigger hurdles (to landing TATL flights) is the customs and border protection clearance area needs to be overhauled. The airport is currently working on re-doing that area of the airport.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think KCI is a good spot for British Airways service due to all the routes we have with AA and Alaska. BA is a code share partner with AA and Alaska which gives would give us the ability to pick up passengers from SEA,LAX,PDX,PHX and even DFW to make this route work. Even though all those cities have nonstop service to London if prices are much cheaper people will pick the option to connect in KC.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Maybe I don't understand the industry well enough, but I think it is a joke to expect anyone like BA to be interested in KC given the current airport setup (not just for customs, but in general). BA and most other internationally focused airlines normally setup in a place that has decent in-security layover shopping and dining options, along with a lounge for higher tier flyers. Simply reconfiguring the customs entry won't solve the problem, and the current wide-terminal setup will be a hindrance to future growth. KCI is great for a few charter flights a year to Mexico, but it is totally not equipped to handle direct overseas flights and the connections to other US cities that are part and parcel of that.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

bobbyhawks wrote:Maybe I don't understand the industry well enough, but I think it is a joke to expect anyone like BA to be interested in KC given the current airport setup (not just for customs, but in general). BA and most other internationally focused airlines normally setup in a place that has decent in-security layover shopping and dining options, along with a lounge for higher tier flyers. Simply reconfiguring the customs entry won't solve the problem, and the current wide-terminal setup will be a hindrance to future growth. KCI is great for a few charter flights a year to Mexico, but it is totally not equipped to handle direct overseas flights and the connections to other US cities that are part and parcel of that.
This is accurate. I am not sure what all the re-configuring entails but it will be done with attracting carriers like BA in mind. Obviously if the city moves forward with a new terminal or extensive renovation to current set-up, the customs area will be completely re-done.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Due to slot allocation restrictions, Southwest will be discontinuing Orange County - KC on 1/15/17. Kind of a bummer as this flight was always packed.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Kind of a bummer, that route did not last very long. I remember when Midwest Express had that same route about 12 Years ago.

The KC to LA market has just really dropped in price since Spirit has come on board. You easily book Roundtrips on Spirit and SW for under 100 bucks at various times. Delta and American have non stops as well so its a pretty saturated route.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really think we see service from Europe in the next couple years. Today WOW Airlines is announcing nonstop service from Pittsburgh to Iceland. Its a an ultra low cost carrier that has been expanding like crazy. Norwegian is another cheap airlines that has been expanding like crazy. Both of these airlines will offer cheap connecting service to Western Europe.

I don't see why not, Pittsburgh has a very similar metro size as KC, this flight would also pull in people from Omaha, Des Moines, Springfield and Wichita.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

We've been saving for a trip to Europe. I would seriously consider any direct flight no matter where it ended over changing planes. Would even tailor the trip around where they fly to.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The fuel efficiency of newer livery allows airlines to use shorter runways and fly out of second tier airports which are much cheaper that Newark or even Atlanta. Emeritas might be offering fairs as low as $100 out of Burlington, VT soon.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I really think we see service from Europe in the next couple years. Today WOW Airlines is announcing nonstop service from Pittsburgh to Iceland. Its a an ultra low cost carrier that has been expanding like crazy. Norwegian is another cheap airlines that has been expanding like crazy. Both of these airlines will offer cheap connecting service to Western Europe.

I don't see why not, Pittsburgh has a very similar metro size as KC, this flight would also pull in people from Omaha, Des Moines, Springfield and Wichita.
I think some of it has to do with our outdated customs facility. It isn't large enough to enplane and deplane passengers simultaneously. It does sound like the airport has met with at least one, if not both of these carriers.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

hartliss wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I really think we see service from Europe in the next couple years. Today WOW Airlines is announcing nonstop service from Pittsburgh to Iceland. Its a an ultra low cost carrier that has been expanding like crazy. Norwegian is another cheap airlines that has been expanding like crazy. Both of these airlines will offer cheap connecting service to Western Europe.

I think some of it has to do with our outdated customs facility. It isn't large enough to enplane and deplane passengers simultaneously. It does sound like the airport has met with at least one, if not both of these carriers.
Not really sure but if we have daily nonstop to Toronto and 2-3 day a weeks flights to Mexico, then I'm sure we can have 2-3 flights a week to Iceland
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
hartliss wrote:

Not really sure but if we have daily nonstop to Toronto and 2-3 day a weeks flights to Mexico, then I'm sure we can have 2-3 flights a week to Iceland
Check out this Brookings study from a few years back. This will give you a feel for where passengers from KC are headed internationally.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/ ... n-america/
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Southwest starting one non-stop flight between KC and Austin, beginning March 13, 2017.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Good article from Routes (UK Publication) on MCI:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... gn=the-hub
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Interesting article.

Glad they used a picture of downtown airport with skyline behind it. Looks better than KCI.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

MCI - Pensacola, FL returns this summer on Southwest. The route will be flown daily as opposed to Saturday only.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Allegiant begins seasonal flights to Destin/Ft. Walton Beach on on 5/3.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

For those of you who fly to San Francisco on United, beginning this summer their early AM flight will be on a 737-800 vs. a regional jet.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... leigh.html
Starting March 13, Southwest Airlines will begin offering daily nonstop service between Kansas City International Airport and Austin, Texas.