KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 pm There we go.

Passengers that are booked on an Icelandair flight that was scheduled on a 737 MAX 8 do not need to contact Icelandair in order to be rebooked on a flight. We will be changing the aircraft on affected routes to either a 757 or 767 aircraft.

https://www.icelandair.com/blog/stateme ... perations/
I’d imagine they’d keep the Max8 in the booking portal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

United is adding a 6th daily flight to Denver during October, November, December.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 pm There we go.

Passengers that are booked on an Icelandair flight that was scheduled on a 737 MAX 8 do not need to contact Icelandair in order to be rebooked on a flight. We will be changing the aircraft on affected routes to either a 757 or 767 aircraft.

https://www.icelandair.com/blog/stateme ... perations/
Icelandair has officially canceled service to Cleveland.

Clevelanders seem to be suprised that they got axed before KCI. However, Icelandair notes that they haven’t seen a big improvement in CLE S’19 over the meh performing S’18. Have heard from a few pretty solid sources that KCI S’19 sales are significantly better S’18 .
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FI has cancelled service to Halifax. We have to be high on the list of places to cut.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:49 pm FI has cancelled service to Halifax. We have to be high on the list of places to cut.
They just dropped a bunch of money on SKC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:49 pm FI has cancelled service to Halifax. We have to be high on the list of places to cut.
They just dropped a bunch of money on SKC.
Link? I know that FI had been dropping a lot of advertisements and sponsorships in Cleveland.

Update: Was messing around with the Icelandair website and it looks like FI already has sold 70-90%+ of available seats for select May dates. June appears to be in the 50-60% range.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I thought this was an interesting Graphic for SFO airport and what the businesses spend just on United at SFO

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/11/ap ... hases-sfo/

It would be interesting to see what KCI is like - I would say our biggest spender is Cerner or Sprint, Wonder what our biggest foreign route is - Its gotta be LHR or maybe even something like Monterrey Mexico since KC Southern Mexico HQ is there
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I suspect Garmin drive a lot of traffic as well with their European operations...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I totally forgot about Garmin, they are probably #1. I can't believe Apple spends 35 million a year for one route at one airport.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:31 am I totally forgot about Garmin, they are probably #1. I can't believe Apple spends 35 million a year for one route at one airport.
At what point do you just buy a couple of airplanes and do it yourself?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:27 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:31 am I totally forgot about Garmin, they are probably #1. I can't believe Apple spends 35 million a year for one route at one airport.
At what point do you just buy a couple of airplanes and do it yourself?
Trying to do something outside of your core competency almost always ends up being more expensive.

You'd just end up with the cost of two airplanes and still paying $35 million because of scheduling, connection, and availability issues.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Cerner's Twitter account mentioned that company travel accounted for 2900 arrivals/departures per week last year.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

swid wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:10 pm Cerner's Twitter account mentioned that company travel accounted for 2900 arrivals/departures per week last year.
The 2018 average US domestic airfare was something like $346 roundtrip. So that’s a little over $26 million on 150,800 flights in 2018.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m starting to think Icelandair is a terribly run company. If you’re trying to compete with entrenched companies like Delta or American or Continental, cancelling a bunch of routes only a few months after launch isn’t the way to do it. I’d be worried that they would cancel flights just before the scheduled date.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Icelandair isn't trying to compete with the US legacies - their game plan the past few summers is to get to any remotely-viable market they could before WOW Air did. They succeeded, as WOW collapsed this morning.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

swid wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:19 am Icelandair isn't trying to compete with the US legacies - their game plan the past few summers is to get to any remotely-viable market they could before WOW Air did. They succeeded, as WOW collapsed this morning.
So, they basically just want to be the Iceland national airline and get all traffic there? That doesn’t seem sustainable. It seems they should focus on being the low cost alternative for cities like KC to Europe that don’t have a direct route.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Their focus was getting viable connection routes before WOW did. With WOW gone, Icelandair can refocus on sustainable growth at sustainable prices to cities like KC (STL, Cleveland, etc).

Take a look at how much it costs to fly MCI-London vs STL-London. MCI flights are significantly cheaper on all airlines due to the Icelandair presence. It’s to the point where STL fliers are much better off driving to MCI, Chicago, or Nashville to fly.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 am Their focus was getting viable connection routes before WOW did. With WOW gone, Icelandair can refocus on sustainable growth at sustainable prices to cities like KC (STL, Cleveland, etc).

Take a look at how much it costs to fly MCI-London vs STL-London. MCI flights are significantly cheaper on all airlines due to the Icelandair presence.
I fly to Europe a lot and this is not what I’ve seen. Price has not dropped for air travel due to IA and they are far from being the price leader. They are usually 10-15% higher than American and United. Air Canada is more likely to be better on price but with bad connections. I was intrigued by IA when they cane out but not at more money and not with them not having the track record the others have. I’d be worried they would cancel my flight like Wow is doing now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 am Their focus was getting viable connection routes before WOW did. With WOW gone, Icelandair can refocus on sustainable growth at sustainable prices to cities like KC (STL, Cleveland, etc).

Take a look at how much it costs to fly MCI-London vs STL-London. MCI flights are significantly cheaper on all airlines due to the Icelandair presence.
I fly to Europe a lot and this is not what I’ve seen. Price has not dropped for air travel due to IA and they are far from being the price leader. They are usually 10-15% higher than American and United. Air Canada is more likely to be better on price but with bad connections. I was intrigued by IA when they cane out but not at more money and not with them not having the track record the others have. I’d be worried they would cancel my flight like Wow is doing now.
When compared to STL-London(all carriers), MCI-London fares (all carriers) are significantly cheaper. Example price differences on Google Flights between MCI, STL round trips for random dates.
April - MCI: $500’s, STL: $1200-$1400
Late May/Early June- MCI$500’s, STL $1400’s
Late June No FI Date - MCI $1400’s, STL $1800’s
Late June FI Date - MCI $1000, STL $1600’s
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If i pick a date 5.5 months out round trip without a checked bag. Same dates for all three searches

Iceland KC: $1150
United KC: $871
United St. Louis $1443

So United is seriously competing in the KC market, providing options that can be dramatically cheaper than even Iceland Air which is a better deal than flying through St. Louis.

I'm sure it becomes harder to compare when looking at business seats, specific schedules, absolute end destination, checking luggage and various extras but there's a provable drop from the same airline just because of more competition

In the first year IA was much cheaper than United.