KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 »

Allegaint released their summer schedule.

Not sure how these compare frequency to last year.

Orlando 1x weekly (only Saturday) this seems odd to only run Orlando once a week.
Destin 4x weekly
Punta Gorda 2x weekly
St. Pete 2x weekly
no Myrtle Beach
Last edited by dev49 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Frontier released their summer schedule

again not sure how these compare frequency wise to last year.

Denver daily
Philly 3x weekly
Cancun 3x weekly
Jacksonville (apparently already cut? I can't find it anywhere on the schedule and it just started in August)
Raleigh (cut since January)

Frontier has the weirdest route strategy

Anyways, unless they add something it will be 3 destinations for summer.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Also looks like Orlando on Delta isn't coming back in the spring/summer. It was once weekly anyway, so not a huge loss.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Southwest extended opened summer schedule this past week. Changes from last summer

M-F Year over Year changes (daily)
Minuses
Oakland goes from 2x to 1x
Denver goes from 7x to 6x
Boston goes from 2x to 1x
Orlando 4x to 3x

Adds
LGA goes from 1x to 2x (I think this was already at 2x but it was only 1x last summer)
Panama City was added as Saturday only. I don't think that route ran last year. So that is a nice new option.

Also, PDX and SEA are back for summer.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dev49 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:02 am Southwest extended opened summer schedule this past week. Changes from last summer

Minuses
Orlando 4x to 3x

Adds
LGA goes from 1x to 2x (I think this was already at 2x but it was only 1x last summer)
Panama City was added as Saturday only. I don't think that route ran last year. So that is a nice new option.

When does summer begin for route purposes? I.e., when can I fly to PDX direct.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

smh wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am
dev49 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:02 am Southwest extended opened summer schedule this past week. Changes from last summer

Minuses
Orlando 4x to 3x

Adds

When does summer begin for route purposes? I.e., when can I fly to PDX direct.
May 16 on Alaska (Jan 6 is when flights stop for winter) There is a 4 month gap for Alaska
June 9 on Southwest (April 6 is when flights stop for spring) There is a 2 month gap for Southwest

Gap for both airlines combined, April 7 - May 16
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

One of the busiest travel day of the year and no flights in route or departed on flightaware. Really weird to see. Hope everyone is staying safe and warm.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Spirit is picking up the flight to Myrtle Beach that Allegiant dropped. Probably better to have Spirit running it anyway. Starts May. Wednesday and Saturday. A319
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I just noticed that Icelandair is upgauging KC from a 737-Max 8 to 757-200 in September. 757 service will be accompanied by a change in the schedule - Friday and Sunday service is being traded for Wednesday and Saturday (still 4 flights a week).

One way flights from KCI are ~$130 above Cleveland, ~$120 above Chicago and Minneapolis, ~$50 above Denver.

Non KC Info:
-It looks like Icelandair is going with twice daily 757/737 in Chicago for S’19. Previously a 767 had been flown on this route.
-It also appears that Denver is scheduled for 1 daily 757 in S’19. IIRC, this is down from twice daily last year.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:05 pm I just noticed that Icelandair is upgauging KC from a 737-Max 8 to 757-200 in September. 757 service will be accompanied by a change in the schedule - Friday and Sunday service is being traded for Wednesday and Saturday (still 4 flights a week).

One way flights from KCI are ~$130 above Cleveland, ~$120 above Chicago and Minneapolis, ~$50 above Denver.

Non KC Info:
-It looks like Icelandair is going with twice daily 757/737 in Chicago for S’19. Previously a 767 had been flown on this route.
-It also appears that Denver is scheduled for 1 daily 757 in S’19. IIRC, this is down from twice daily last year.
Interesting. Running a 757 for the last 2 weeks of the season.

Also, looks like they are cutting DFW. That frees up a 757.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:05 pm I just noticed that Icelandair is upgauging KC from a 737-Max 8 to 757-200 in September. 757 service will be accompanied by a change in the schedule - Friday and Sunday service is being traded for Wednesday and Saturday (still 4 flights a week).

Non KC Info:
Interesting. Running a 757 for the last 2 weeks of the season.

Also, looks like they are cutting DFW. That frees up a 757.
I am very surprised to see the 75s returning without a reduction in flights per week. I wonder if it’s due to leasing out their 737s(leased frames) this winter to keep utilization rates up.

How do you feel about ticket prices?
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 pm How do you feel about ticket prices?
My biggest issue with ticket prices isn't how we compare to other cities, it is more how Icelandair compares to other airlines. For most dates if you do KC-XXX Icelandair isn't the cheapest. If it isn't the cheapest then I don't have a lot of incentive to take them (except for the good of the airport to fill their flights). I am taking a stop anyway and I don't mind going through Detroit/Boston/etc. I would rather take a normal legacy that I already get points on (especially if it is Delta who seems to be growing here). That may differ for someone who doesn't fly much an doesn't care about points, but then they are likely just to take the cheapest anyway. I kind of wish Icelandair would codeshare with Southwest again and I could put the points towards Southwest. I just would like to see Icelandair as the cheapest option to help drive people towards them. I would be curious what percentage is people going just to Iceland. Obviously, they will get probably 95% of that traffic, but how much more do I they need filled from people going onto mainland Europe.

I would hope our prices being higher than others has somewhat to do with more demand but I know that isn't always the case.

EDIT: Going thru more dates there are some they are a fair amount cheaper. But it isn't all the time. Sometimes they aren't even close to cheapest.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1. STL Reddit is rumoring that Alaska Air is looking into opening a Midwest hub at Lambert.

2. STL has tried to pursue Icelandair as a TATL add. While unlikely to announce for ‘19 it still is possible something happens this month. FI and AS are codeshare partners so I guess if AS started a huh in STL, FI would be more inclined to move there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was always my dream that Alaska would do a hub here with the new terminal
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 am It was always my dream that Alaska would do a hub here with the new terminal
I can see Delta setting MCI up as a focus city with A220 regional feeder service.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am 1. STL Reddit is rumoring that Alaska Air is looking into opening a Midwest hub at Lambert.

2. STL has tried to pursue Icelandair as a TATL add. While unlikely to announce for ‘19 it still is possible something happens this month. FI and AS are codeshare partners so I guess if AS started a huh in STL, FI would be more inclined to move there.
I've been wanting an Alaska Midwest Hub for 10 years now and think they need to do it, this could open up flights to places like Montreal, Toronto and you could have smaller cities in this hub that don't make sense from SEA or SFO like Buffalo, Louisville, Birmingham, Providence, Hartford

I just don't know how well it will do because Alaska doesn't have a ton of name recognition in the Midwest and most business travelers are set on who they want to fly with
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 am
normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am 1. STL Reddit is rumoring that Alaska Air is looking into opening a Midwest hub at Lambert.

I've been wanting an Alaska Midwest Hub for 10 years now and think they need to do it, this could open up flights to places like Montreal, Toronto and you could have smaller cities in this hub that don't make sense from SEA or SFO like Buffalo, Louisville, Birmingham, Providence, Hartford

I just don't know how well it will do because Alaska doesn't have a ton of name recognition in the Midwest and most business travelers are set on who they want to fly with
A lot of business travelers have to book what's available and within a range - often they don't have a choice. So, just being in the game will garner some travelers.

They also choose because of rewards. AA has a pretty decent program that partners with American (and about 16 international carriers). Yeah, some people will only fly Southwest, but I don't think it's so many that a competitive offering from AA would fail.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sounds like Justin Meyer knows a few members of Moxy Air’s new development team. Hopefully we can get Moxy service or become a focus city.

Moxy is a start up airline by the same guy who started JetBlue, Azul and who owns TAP and a few others. I have heard that this airline will focus heavily on technology, direct flights, and mixed product. This week the startup confirmed an order for 60 A220s.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FI announced today that they will ending service to BWI- a city they added alongside KC. This could mean that KCI service is not yet set in stone. However, I have heard that sales are strong so far.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:51 pm Sounds like Justin Meyer knows a few members of Moxy Air’s new development team. Hopefully we can get Moxy service or become a focus city.

Moxy is a start up airline by the same guy who started JetBlue, Azul and who owns TAP and a few others. I have heard that this airline will focus heavily on technology, direct flights, and mixed product. This week the startup confirmed an order for 60 A220s.
Wouldn't Wheeler airport be the airport Moxy chooses since they focus on secondary airports