KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by WoodDraw »

The attraction of BA is that most people I know that fly internationally from here fly American. Again, I'm not privy to any data though.

I'd personally want a schengen airport too though.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1. Iceland is in schengen
2. BA and Icelandair are the 2 biggest foreign carriers in the US.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

ldai_phs wrote:1. Iceland is in schengen
2. BA and Icelandair are the 2 biggest foreign carriers in the US.
Sorry I was comparing BA to mainland Europe stops.

London is great, but they rival the US at being awful at customs. So it'd been nice to have one of each :p I'm just thinking out loud here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I was just pointing out 2 facts that’s I didn’t think where mentioned recently/at all. No worries.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

ldai_phs wrote:Neither KC or STL is getting state incentives. IMHO is better that way. I’d rather see an equal 0 than either 1. An unfair split or 2. Rural voters/reps using it to take away something else from the cities.

Yea. These relationships have been been worked on for over 9 years at this point. Time truly does fly. It is now that we are really getting the interest of carriers. Do recall that we have way more than enough PAX from KCI to completely fill a 787 each way daily to Europe. Also recall that Airlines shoot for like 80%+avg occupancy. Even though our pax numbers are good, the big airlines don’t want to take the plunge without a.seeing someone else succeed first b. A lot of incentives c. A combination of both
They also look at premium fare purchases as well. If they struggle fill first and business class but fill 80% of economy, the route wouldn't last long.

I agree with ldai_phs though, other carriers will be looking closely to see how the Icelandair flight does. The other item to keep in mind is that airlines don't have unlimited aircraft to throw around on a dart board. Especially with int'l flights, they will scrutinize every route down to the penny to see who deserves the next shot based on aircraft availability. PDEW is one part of the equation but a lot of other factors are at stake too (premium, FF base, code-shares, incentives, etc).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think we could see Condor flights out of KC with non stops to Frankfurt. They are the next low cost carrier trying to expand in the US. Just started flights to small markets in Pittsburgh and Austin.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Spirit Airlines will begin 4/X a week service in November from KC to Ft. Lauderdale. Seasonal service through February.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I saw on Twitter that Icelandair is offering roundtrips to KEF for $349 - starting *next week* through the end of September.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

^^^ there was another sale this week for $399 from all destinations in the US.

Have heard Icelandair is doing great so far. An important turning point will be when school starts up again. If ridership totally plumits after that, I wouldn’t expect Icelandair to go year round. However, I would not be too surprised if we saw 5 times weekly next summer(speculation).

For those who are unfamiliar with Icelandair they generally progress from 3 days a week to 5 days and/or year around then to twice daily(at almost the exact same time). I believe that is a product of not operating many planes bigger than 757s.

I have heard BA is going to start flying to STL next year. Additionally, these rumors sound very solid(many sources reporting this) so I 1. Believe it to be true 2. Believe BA is very unlikely to serve KC anytime soon. If KC does get TATL service soon, I lean primarily towards German carriers but KLM isn’t impossible. I doubt we would get a US based carrier since we don’t have a large war chest.

I’d expect to hear any TATL service updates and new service announcements related to KC and STL to be made in August. Later is always possible ,like Icelandair in January 2018, but Airlines shoot for August/September.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Just booked an Icelandair flight to Europe. $4-500 cheaper than normal. Would love a nonstop to a major destination, but so glad for the new carrier.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

^^^ speaking of cheap fares.... Air Canada is selling MCI to Shanghai Pudong for only $99 each way plus taxes and fees. Sadly, taxes and fees are $150 each way. Still, a $500 roundtrip to Asia is very cheap IMhO.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

I noticed Onejet quit running flights to PIT about a month or so ago without any warning. I saw someone on twitter complaining on being stranded. So I guess the route must be cut? I saw other routes by them see to have suffered the same fate. Anyone have more info on it?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

dev49 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 am I noticed Onejet quit running flights to PIT about a month or so ago without any warning. I saw someone on twitter complaining on being stranded. So I guess the route must be cut? I saw other routes by them see to have suffered the same fate. Anyone have more info on it?
I don't have any additional information other than they cut routes at a moments notice, which indicates to me financial distress. Tough industry to make it in.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder how that one airline is doing with flights to Steamboat Springs in the Winter.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Also, noticed Icelandair opened their schedule for part of summer next year. Looks like flights return at basically the same time as this year. 3x a week starting May 25.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

^that is a disapointment. However, I would expect them to announce a service increase before posting the website so not all is lost. Really the most important thing now is how well we sell from Mid-August till the end of season. That is what I think Icelandair is looking as they think about year round service.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

dev49 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 am Also, noticed Icelandair opened their schedule for part of summer next year. Looks like flights return at basically the same time as this year. 3x a week starting May 25.
Correct, the airline agreed to service the route for two years with the incentive agreement in place. If it extends beyond seasonal or beyond next year that would indicate the demand is there.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

hartliss wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm
dev49 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 am Also, noticed Icelandair opened their schedule for part of summer next year. Looks like flights return at basically the same time as this year. 3x a week starting May 25.
Correct, the airline agreed to service the route for two years with the incentive agreement in place. If it extends beyond seasonal or beyond next year that would indicate the demand is there.
I thought they might add frequency (or start earlier) next year. It had sounded like the loads this year were pretty high, but I could be wrong.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does anybody know of a service that will tell you when airlines change flight schedules for a particular airport?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 am Does anybody know of a service that will tell you when airlines change flight schedules for a particular airport?
Those services do exist but they are set up as a software to be sold to aviation industry users, not to the general public (https://www.oag.com/analytics/schedules-analyser) (https://amadeus.com/en/portfolio/airlin ... -analytics). I usually get my information from airliners.net, which is a forum but one of the posters who has access to the OAG scheduling tool will post weekly updates.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... &t=1400181