Missouri Amtrak Service

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Missouri Amtrak Service

Post by flyingember »

Amtrak only owns 14% of it's ~500 stations. Ouch

And of the 500, only 3 of them are 100% accessible to the disabled. (Both physical and sensory)

http://consumerist.com/2013/10/17/repor ... -disabled/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote:if you haven't been following the cameras, the 2nd bridge over the Osage River is in the process of the track connection

which as I've seen, is the last segment east of Jeff City to go two track
link to web stream?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.rtands.com/index.php/track-s ... hannel=283
Officials will have several design considerations to deal with on the potential project. The corridor has five cures that would require a larger radius to accommodate higher speeds for passenger trains. The centerline of the new second mainline would need to be 20 feet from the centerline of the existing track, wood crossties would be replaced with concrete crossties and the rail strength would be increased. Additionally, culverts and bridges would be extended and resized to allow for adequate drainage and an access road for maintenance vehicles would be provided. The project would also require a large number of grade crossings to either be consolidated, grade separated or have their warning devices upgraded.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

It seems like a few times a year you hear about an accident at the Hamblen Road crossing...bad geometry.

If anyone's curious, it's my guess that the second main would start at the end of the siding that ends behind the warehouse on Thompson Road, south of the small yard in LS and run to the west end of the siding that starts west of Strasburg. The three bridges east of Strasburg make a nice argument for stopping it there for now. The existing siding at Pleasant Hill would be upgraded to second mainline status.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:It seems like a few times a year you hear about an accident at the Hamblen Road crossing...bad geometry.

If anyone's curious, it's my guess that the second main would start at the end of the siding that ends behind the warehouse on Thompson Road, south of the small yard in LS and run to the west end of the siding that starts west of Strasburg. The three bridges east of Strasburg make a nice argument for stopping it there for now. The existing siding at Pleasant Hill would be upgraded to second mainline status.
wonder if all the sidings up to being a high speed segment? I bet some are purposefully maintained to a level for lower speed traffic
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

flyingember wrote:wonder if all the sidings up to being a high speed segment? I bet some are purposefully maintained to a level for lower speed traffic
I'm sure they are, but it's much easier to upgrade a siding to ML status than to construct an entirely new main, especially in physically constricted areas like Pleasant Hill. In Illinois for the High-er Speed Rail segments between Chicago and St. Louis a lot of the upgrade work done consisted of tie replacement, re-ballasting and grade crossing improvement. If the sidings here are older, they may have lighter and possibly jointed rail that would need to be replaced with heavy CWR to bring it up to snuff. Geometry wise, since these sidings typically parallel the mainline, no re-alignment would be necessary to enable them to run at higher speeds.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Eon Blue wrote:It seems like a few times a year you hear about an accident at the Hamblen Road crossing...bad geometry.

It's actually going to start at 4th Street in Downtown LS. http://www.lsjournal.com/2013/10/25/107 ... cific.html
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I should have clarified that construction of a brand new second main would start south of town. The track at 4th Street is one of the existing sidings I mentioned would be upgraded.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I also misread that post/forgot we had siding in LS.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

osage river bridge opens dec. 1. onboard wifi in january 2014.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

as of yesterday it appears they shut down the old bridge and moved all traffic to the new one. the modot cams show them replacing the track on the now EB side

A really cool still is at 4:38 yesterday
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

awesome! headed to STL friday and will report back.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:awesome! headed to STL friday and will report back.
it was dark by the time we crossed the osage river in both directions, so i can't confirm that part. i did take verizon and AT&T devices to check signal strength for when they implement WiFi in january, and i can confirm decent coverage until jeff city. big dead zone between jeff city and washington, so don't expect their WiFi to work on that stretch.

we arrived early in STL and KC, as well as several station stops along the way. i'd guess they could easily cut 30 minutes from the schedule and still maintain on-time performance.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DaveKCMO wrote:we arrived early in STL and KC, as well as several station stops along the way. i'd guess they could easily cut 30 minutes from the schedule and still maintain on-time performance.
That's been my experience on the last several trips.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

how long is it taking to get to StL?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I think of my last two trips one was early and the other made up time after initial delays to arrive on time.

EB is more challenging west of Jefferson City because Amtrak is running "upstream" against the flow of freight traffic. If that second main gets built south of Lee's Summit, that will help a lot by giving WB trains more room to stack up before entering the KC area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WiFi is now available on the River Runner: http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/amtrak ... 00404.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

after enjoying decades of strong bipartisan support at the state level, improvements to the river runner were not included in the amendment 7 project list. regardless, new train equipment is still scheduled to arrive in 2016.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

There are track upgrades in Jeff City.

What else do we need short of 125 speed trains? (not rhetorical)

One or two more trains per day? Station upgrades?