Transportation topics in KC
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Missouri Amtrak Service

Post by Zorobabel »

Interesting map (and accompanying report) from the Brookings Institute:

http://www.brookings.edu/research/inter ... trakRoutes

According to the map, KC-StL has the 5th best balance of Amtrak's routes.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

didn't realize it was so close to breaking even.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

heatherkay wrote:didn't realize it was so close to breaking even.
assuming that's accurate, all states are facing an increase in their share of amtrak's expenses for state-run routes (that 0.3 will rise very soon).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC could lose Amtrak service to St. Louis if state legislature doesn't provide more funding to statewide rail service.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/12/42 ... rvice.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Taking the train to Chicago/Milwaukee. First Amtrak trip since a hazy adventure from New Orleans to San Antonio in the early 80s. Any tips for a newbie? Arrival times, seating, best way to kill 2 hours at Chicago Union Station?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:Taking the train to Chicago/Milwaukee. First Amtrak trip since a hazy adventure from New Orleans to San Antonio in the early 80s. Any tips for a newbie? Arrival times, seating, best way to kill 2 hours at Chicago Union Station?
i wouldn't stray too far. they'll call for the milwaukee train 30 mins before it leaves and you'll want to be in line since it isn't reserved (at least it wasn't when I took it). even assuming the chief is on time, it doesn't really give you much time to do anything. i recommend the bar in the grand hall. it's kinda hidden, but definitely still there.

protip: download the amtrak mobile app and your e-ticket can be added to passbook (assuming you have an iphone). there's an android version, too.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thanks Dave, a bar will suit me just fine.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

We liked the seating in Amtrak. It was very comfortable. The electrical outlets at each seat were nice. Take some headphones if you are going to watch a movie on your device. We saw a mother with a young child have to turn off the movie even though we couldn’t hear any of it. I didn’t care for the food, next time we will pack our own snacks. As far as the 2 hour window, just getting out for a walk would be good after 8 hours on the train. You could cover a lot in an hour and still be back. One thing I didn’t understand about Amtrak is why they do not have reserved seating. They assign seats as you get there and have all these paper slips above the seats. That seems to complicate things that should be easily done digitally.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thanks, was curious about the seating. And the food.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

How about luggage? Any suggestion regarding checking or not? Thanks in advance.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

re: amtrak dining car food --- stick with the burger, steak, or chicken and you'll be fine... after you lower your expectations below airline food. no one should miss the dining car at least once, especially if you're traveling with 3 or fewer. dining with strangers on a train is fun!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote:re: amtrak dining car food --- stick with the burger, steak, or chicken and you'll be fine... after you lower your expectations below airline food. no one should miss the dining car at least once, especially if you're traveling with 3 or fewer. dining with strangers on a train is fun!
Seconded on the dining car. It is quite an experience. I had breakfast with some randoms but enjoyed myself quite a bit. Be wary of people who have been on the train since LA. They will smell a bit ripe and be more stir crazy.

On the trip from KC to Chicago, I got up to walk around quite a bit. I also ended up in the snack car, or whatever they call it, to grab some beer and watched the pasture fly by in the "Sightseer" lounge. If I went again with a friend, it would have been pretty fun to bring a bottle of whiskey or scotch and play cards in that area. I think on-boarding alcohol is frowned upon, but you can get by if you are somewhat discrete about it.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I've only rode the River Runner, but my secondhand experience is that if you're subtle & discrete you're fine. I rode once in October and a group of ladies were getting on with their spoils from Hermann. All the conductor asked them to do was keep it down a bit in their end of the car. I think once or twice a conductor asked someone to put a bottle away, but YMMV. Never tried to bring my own goods on board myself before.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We'll be taking a couple of small bags, any thoughts on checking? Any problems with leaving them at the seats if you want to wander around?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:We'll be taking a couple of small bags, any thoughts on checking? Any problems with leaving them at the seats if you want to wander around?
I left my big bag in the dowstairs large bag area and had a backpack that I took with me when I walked around, but that isn't to say anyone should copy me (was by myself). I felt comfortable leaving a bag behind after I had been on the train for about an hour, but carrying my small bag was so easy. Once everyone settles into a seat, you and the passengers around you will feel more comfortable spotting sketchy behavior. If you are really worried, you can probably use a lock on Amtrak, but there is no way you should have to wheel your luggage through the cars on your way to breakfast. Officially, you are supposed to keep your bags in your possession (I think), but that is really impossible with how the train is setup. Most people were walking around without a bag.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thanks. Does this route have wifi? Didn't see it listed on the page.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:Thanks. Does this route have wifi? Didn't see it listed on the page.
It has been a few years for me, but they didn't circa 2011. That part was very frustrating as the Sprint coverage was nonexistent for much of the journey.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I rode the Southwest Chief from Chicago to KC in October and there was no wifi
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Saturday we are taking the 8:15 Amtrak to Lee’s Summit for their weekend festival and boarding for the return trip at 2:04. This will drop us off right in the middle of old downtown, no worries about parking, etc. The cost is $31.50 total for both of us. Should be fun.