Missouri Amtrak Service

Transportation topics in KC
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Missouri Amtrak Service

Post by bahua »

warwickland wrote: then theres that spat of time were the train goes like 30 through the eastside/bottoms.
Certainly, but that's the case in every city. And, the overwhelming majority of the track on which the trains run traverses rural land.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

Amtrak has cut-rate fares again between KCY and STL for most days between Jan 17 and Feb 16 -- $17.40 one way. 

http://www.amtrak.com

Click on "hot deals" then "weekly specials" and look for trains 316 or 324 (eastbound) and 311 or 323 (westbound).

There's a train schedule and other info on MoDOT's website:  http://www.morail.org
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Holly shit, Wow, thanks.  It's 15.60 for a train ride from Union Station to Lee's Summit for two adults and two children.  I'll leave a car a crown center on a friday, take the bus home, drive the fam to LS on a saturday, take the train to Union Station, goof off for a while, get the car, drive back to LS and get the other car.

Sound absolutely crazy, but the kids will enjoy it.

Might even try the round trip, it might be easier as long as the trains are on time.

It just takes too long to take a train to StL though.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

^ That'll make a great excursion.  Have fun. 

It's surprising more people don't take the train between Union Station and Lee's Summit for dinner or other getaway.  People take the train from St. Louis to Washington for dinner, then return the same evening.  The same thing is doable from Union Station for dinner in Lee's Summit. 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i wish the train went to larrytown in a reasonable fashion. i'd be all about going to freestate for lunch and a beer or five.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

warwickland wrote: i wish the train went to larrytown in a reasonable fashion. i'd be all about going to freestate for lunch and a beer or five.
Brilliant!

I would be in favor of Congress doubling Amtrak subsidisation if it meant they could pull of this enhancement.  They would need a train returning about 2:00 AM on the weekend though. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I'm still waiting for the bullet train that'll be an hour to Columbia and two hours to STL...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think most Missourians (meaning most people in KC and StL) would use this from time to time. At least they'd be in favor of it. We should write to our state reps.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

How about an hour and a half. Most trains can travel in excess of 100mph if they don't have to stop for every freight train that goes by. Lot less money than a MAgLAv train to just upgrade the existing system.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

I just made reservations for a round trip to St. Louis for less than $35.  Amtrak has cheap fares right now for most travel dates during March -- $17.40 each way.  www.amtrak.com, click on "hot deals" then "weekly specials" and look for trains 323-324 and 311-316.  Only eight seats available at this price on each train.  As usual, delays sometimes happen -- but then again, I-70 gets totally shut down occasionally, too.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

I also got a great deal the last time I went to St. Louis. With the student discount (reservations must be made three days before departure) I was able to get a first class round-trip for a very reasonable price. It would have been even cheaper had I elected to ride economy, but forgive me, I just can't handle the groups of screaming girlscouts and the bingo-playing church groups.  :)  First class = nice and quiet + a free newspaper and comfy seats. But at any price, I think it certainly beats having to deal with traffic, angry motorists and stripmall after stripmall visible outside of the car window- the scenery from Kansas City to St. Louis by rail is absolutely beautiful.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the track work by union pacific is almost complete and has yielded a 1-hour reduction in travel time between KC and STL (down to 5:40). changes will appear in the fall timetable.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: the track work by union pacific is almost complete and has yielded a 1-hour reduction in travel time between KC and STL (down to 5:40). changes will appear in the fall timetable.
I thought it was 5 to 5.5 hours *before* the track work? 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dangerboy wrote: I thought it was 5 to 5.5 hours *before* the track work? 
yea, 5.5 hours for a trip that takes 3.5 in a car...

High speed rail between KC and StL would be amazing,  I'm sure it will happen someday, but it will be between Columbia and StL which "politically" is a more accurate description of the boundaries of MO.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

GRID wrote: yea, 5.5 hours for a trip that takes 3.5 in a car...
Time ins't everything.  I still prefer the train over the car.  And 3.5 from DT to DT is a little light.  But you're point is taken--it's a lot faster still with a car.

But I'd still pay $40 round trip and sleep / work / play.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Kard wrote: But I'd still pay $40 round trip and sleep / work / play.
plus, I-70 is a deathtrap and the riverfront route of the train is fascinating (no billboards or stuckeys).
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Is the STL Amtrak station still near the Kiel/Savvis/whatever Center? If so, then the train is still a convenient way to catch a Blues game. Plus once you're there, you can take MetroLink to various other places.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KC0KEK wrote: Is the STL Amtrak station still near the Kiel/Savvis/whatever Center? If so, then the train is still a convenient way to catch a Blues game. Plus once you're there, you can take MetroLink to various other places.
Yes, but!  The AmShack is going away!  Seriously!  Really!  They started pouring concrete just a bit ago.

news story linky!
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

beccanator wrote: I also got a great deal the last time I went to St. Louis. With the student discount (reservations must be made three days before departure) I was able to get a first class round-trip for a very reasonable price. It would have been even cheaper had I elected to ride economy, but forgive me, I just can't handle the groups of screaming girlscouts and the bingo-playing church groups.  :)  First class = nice and quiet + a free newspaper and comfy seats. But at any price, I think it certainly beats having to deal with traffic, angry motorists and stripmall after stripmall visible outside of the car window- the scenery from Kansas City to St. Louis by rail is absolutely beautiful.
First class on the KC-StL Amtrak? I didn't even know they had such a thing...I don't think I've ever had anyone sitting within 10 feet of me on that train.

That route is a complete...

J
O
K
E
!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

trailerkid wrote: First class on the KC-StL Amtrak? I didn't even know they had such a thing...I don't think I've ever had anyone sitting within 10 feet of me on that train.

That route is a complete...

J
O
K
E
!
About 1/4 of my trips were > 3/4 full with families and rowdy kids.  If you're traveling on a three-day weekend then it's often worth it to upgrade to business class to avoid the kids.

Note quite like a train in say, India, but it is kinda annoying.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator