KC is about to loose all commuter bus service to MO burbs!

Transportation topics in KC
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Raytown, Independence express routes all gone Jan 31, 2003.

Belton and Gladstone lost it this year and Liberty will loose it after this year. Grandview and SKC will probably loose it after this year as well and they cut direct service to the KCI area last month.

And the press is not even covering it.

As a freqent rider of the Blue Springs Express, the buses consistantly run at or above capacity on every bus. I have seen as many as a dozen people standing on a 50 passenger bus on the route. Why cut popular routes while mostly empty buses are left on other routes. The JoCo express routes never have more than six people on full size buses.

Once again, I don't get it.
Last edited by KCgridlock on Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

This is disasterous news for any major metropolitan area...damn people and their SUVs!!! Will KC ever learn? What can the city do? A Bi-State transportation tax might work, but not as a seperate tax from Bi-State II plans. I say propose a huge a$$ metro-wide tax that will cover stadiums, arts, roads, transportation, parks, etc. It seems that many of our suburbanites use backwards thinking.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

QueSi2Opie wrote:This is disasterous news for any major metropolitan area...damn people and their SUVs!!! Will KC ever learn? What can the city do? A Bi-State transportation tax might work, but not as a seperate tax from Bi-State II plans. I say propose a huge a$$ metro-wide tax that will cover stadiums, arts, roads, transportation, parks, etc. It seems that many of our suburbanites use backwards thinking.
A half cent permanant bistate tax would take care of nearly all of KC's regional funding issues including sports, arts, zoo and transit. If we just had the people put a good plan together, I think the metro area would support it. Too bad we still don't have that aggresive leadership.

It is trully embarasing that in a city of nearly Two Million, only 50,000 use transit daily and many of those are repeat users. This is the only major city in the country where you are trully "looked down on" if you ride public transit.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

We'll keep drivin' our SUVs are tearin' up KC's roads so we can bitch about that. I was readin' AOL posts about the new television ad campaign sayin' that SUVs Fund Terrorism (kinda like the Drugs Fund Terrorism campaign) :lol: Seriously though, AOL must be 90% conservatives. They were bashin' Liberals in every post! So I wrote,"I use drugs and don't drive a big useless SUV. I'm a liberal and the stuff I smoke is GROWN IN AMERICA, BABY!!! Legalize marijuana! Make driving SUVs illegal so those wimpy pencil pushin' conservatives (who roll up their windows whenever they drive through the ghetto) will have to ride the bus with the rest of America's colorful people."
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

The buses have been saved. It also looks like we could have a vote this year on the metro wide transit plan that MARC is putting together.