We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by hartliss »

KCPowercat wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:Did anyone hear her rant during council yesterday? GET OFF OUR BACKS, PEOPLE.
It was quite a show...I was only listening but I thought she was going to break down.
Yea, I was in the room. She was pretty fired up, claiming the last three weeks were the worst of her political career. Harassment, bullying, etc were all insinuated during her speech. I think she voted no simply because she was pissed at the people trying to lobby her.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So they won and got her to vote no. That's a way to show them Loar.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the full MOU has been posted at http://kcmo.gov/newkci/
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I would say it is legal. Right-to-work is between the worker and the employer. Requiring union labor would be a contract issue between the parties in the contract. Prevailing wage, which is usually the local union rate, would likely be part of the contract.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Slys speech at the end of the MOU discussion was awesome. Called out his pro tem, mentioned Cindy Circo whose husband voted against, looked at The Northlanders when talking about ‘negatives and naysayers’, and accused the other no votes of participating in ‘politics as usual’. Classic.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Interesting comment from the City Manager: https://twitter.com/KCMOManager/status/ ... 3186718721
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

Post deleted and moved.
Last edited by STLguy1 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

impressive.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

STLguy1 wrote:Found this on UrbanSTL site. Posted there and thought it was pretty impressive. I fly back and forth from STL on Southwest and find the airport in STL very nice. It just feels like a big airport to me, especially flying out of KCI. Our new airport will help, but not sure if it will have that "wow" or "big" feel though.
/
repost:

Cool Video of St. Louis Lambert International Airport Terminal 2 - E Concourse from gates E34 to E16 found on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/URHrV5w-yDo
All any of us have seen are those few drawings that came out of what our new terminal could look like. From them, I agree that our airport may not have the "big feel" but we will 100% have the "wow".

Additionally, I think that part of the "big feel" in STL is a disadvantage. Ex.the long walks are not a selling point for airlines. if SWA keeps expanding the long walks will become exponentially worse.

Despite what Urban STl says, I think that KC still has a good chance of taking flights from STL.
KCI Advantages: bigger catchment area, farther from Chicago Hub, Built to order New Terminal, lower fees, ability for SWA gates to be much closer to each other than at STL.(which is very good for connections), some SWA maintenance is done at KCI Overhaul,

KCI Disadvantages: No potential for growth until 2021

STL Advatages: Current SWA buildup(including international gateway). Lots of existing empty space.

STL Disadvatages: Terminal is old. The terminal needs significant upgrades(like baggage). The terminal makes walks between gates much longer than needed, will get exponetially worse if they expand into the skinny unused terminal. The airport is expensive to operate from. STL has a smaller catchment area and is relatively close to Chicago.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

STLguy1 wrote:Found this on UrbanSTL site. Posted there and thought it was pretty impressive. I fly back and forth from STL on Southwest and find the airport in STL very nice. It just feels like a big airport to me, especially flying out of KCI. Our new airport will help, but not sure if it will have that "wow" or "big" feel though.

repost:

Cool Video of St. Louis Lambert International Airport Terminal 2 - E Concourse from gates E34 to E16 found on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/URHrV5w-yDo

Aw man, no more purple carpet on the curved wall next to the moving walkway? What's this world coming to?
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

STL Disadvatages: Terminal is old. The terminal needs significant upgrades(like baggage)
I don't think you have been to STL lately. Their entire airport, both terminal 1 and 2 and all concourses have been completely redone in the past 3 to 5 years. It's a whole new airport really. Looks completely different than years ago.

The baggage claim area in Terminal 1 is huge and all new. Terminal 2 is adding/under construction an additional new security TSA area for international flights screening and TSA preapproved. They also just added an entire new international baggage area. I haven't flown international out of there so I'm not sure what it looks like. Both terminals have new luggage check in and connection/carousel systems that expedite luggage better and faster according to flystl.com.

The "skinny" part of the new terminal 2 E concourse is not really skinny. You can see it on that video. I think you think it is skinny but it really isn't. I had to connect from KC to STL to FLL on Sunday. Arrived in Terminal 2 STL E40 gate and connected to E23. E40 is in the new/renovated area of concourse E and the area youre talking about... it really is large.

Also, our airport won't be done by 2021. I just don't believe it. But, I think we will get more flights, but southwest has a huge O&D and connection system through STL which has much bigger and better capabilities to serve them and their own terminal and concourse.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

STLguy1 wrote:
STL Disadvatages: Terminal is old. The terminal needs significant upgrades(like baggage)
I don't think you have been to STL lately. Their entire airport, both terminal 1 and 2 and all concourses have been completely redone in the past 3 to 5 years. It's a whole new airport really. Looks completely different than years ago.

The baggage claim area in Terminal 1 is huge and all new. Terminal 2 is adding/under construction an additional new security TSA area for international flights screening and TSA preapproved. They also just added an entire new international baggage area. I haven't flown international out of there so I'm not sure what it looks like. Both terminals have new luggage check in and connection/carousel systems that expedite luggage better and faster according to flystl.com.

The "skinny" part of the new terminal 2 E concourse is not really skinny. You can see it on that video. I think you think it is skinny but it really isn't. I had to connect from KC to STL to FLL on Sunday. Arrived in Terminal 2 STL E40 gate and connected to E23. E40 is in the new/renovated area of concourse E and the area youre talking about... it really is large.

Also, our airport won't be done by 2021. I just don't believe it. But, I think we will get more flights, but southwest has a huge O&D and connection system through STL which has much bigger and better capabilities to serve them and their own terminal and concourse.
Flew to STL a few times this year. The TSA improvements are the type of thing I ment. I didn’t know they were already taking place. I just called it the skinny part of the terminal to indentify what I’m talking about for anyone who is looking at a map. I’m mainly referring to the distance between one end to the other or SWA’s section. And how Expansion down the skinny part will increase the walk. SWA’s buildup at STL is its biggest advantage against loosing flights to KCI. But I just don’t see what is there now that “locks them in” on the long term. I guess the international gateway? But even then it doesn’t seem hard to move to just move flights over to other airports. Let’s come back to these posts in 2028. :)

Additionally, I have full confidence 2021 can be achieved.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

2021 is absolutely doable. September 2021 is 3.5 years away.

The convention hotel is going to go up in two years and it's a much more substantial building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Can we stop this? It does nothing for this topic and is just a "hey I live in KC but look at how great STL is doing" guy posting stLouis propaganda. There is an other city board for this.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

Kcpowercat... I'm not sure why you posted. There was 4 posts above... no bashing STL it KC going on. 2 of those posts were about the construction timeline for the new KCI. in addition the other was a video I reposted on YouTube showing STLs terminal 2 that was discussed about 20 pages ago. Settle down. I reposted it here, I'll change it to Out of Town. Good grief. [-X :roll:

Got it... this thread is not to mention any other airports, cities or services outside of our city. No problem from me.
Last edited by STLguy1 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

The convention hotel is going to go up in two years and it's a much more substantial building.
I hope so. Sooner can't come faster. I am worried though, things like this tied to government and monies, usually have terrible delays. Indy's terminal took 5 years to build and was suppose to only take 3 years. Pittsburgh's new airport terminal will take 5 years to build. Woops I mentioned 2 other cities. :shock:
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

STL advantages: an actual transit system

STL disadvantages: provel cheese, the Best Fans in Baseball, inferior BBQ, radiation dumpster fire, etc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

STLguy1 wrote:Kcpowercat... I'm not sure why you posted. There was 4 posts above... no bashing STL it KC going on. 2 of those posts were about the construction timeline for the new KCI. in addition the other was a video I reposted on YouTube showing STLs terminal 2 that was discussed about 20 pages ago. Settle down. I reposted it here, I'll change it to Out of Town. Good grief. [-X :roll:

Got it... this thread is not to mention any other airports, cities or services outside of our city. No problem from me.
You are being disingenuous.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

STLguy1 wrote:

I hope so. Sooner can't come faster. I am worried though, things like this tied to government and monies, usually have terrible delays. Indy's terminal took 5 years to build and was suppose to only take 3 years. Pittsburgh's new airport terminal will take 5 years to build. Woops I mentioned 2 other cities. :shock:
You’ve been a naughty boy
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So while we are on the subject, what is the status of the new terminal at KCI right now? When is the earliest construction can start? Is the council done being duplicitous or is there something still to be decided? This thing needs to get on some kind of a fast track schedule.