We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 pm

wow memory lane going back to the first page of this thread....I was admittedly against a new terminal...but that was 13 years ago.

cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Postby cityscape » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 pm

About time. I hope this sends a strong message to CFRG. This city is ready to move forward.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 pm

One of the next steps should be to move the airport to a regional authority.

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Hopefully we can get the business and civic community in KC united behind other big projects in the future. Cough Public Transit Cough

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Great to hear that the new terminal is passing in a landslide.

I felt that once the stumbling block of how these projects are funded was successfully sold and understood, the project would pass much more easily which it has. Albeit, I was still somewhat concerned.

But it's also great that it was a wide margin. A no vote could have resulted in costly and ineffective renovations that would have delayed the entire discussion by a decade or more and a close vote might have led to an eventual CFRG challenge - Hopefully they will now shut the hell up for a while (although I doubt it).

KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Postby KCFan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 pm

How would you like to be the guy from Leawood that gave CRFG $66,000 of their $68,000? Then you lose the issue 25% to 75%?

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby FangKC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 am

I must admit I'm surprised that it passed by such a larger majority. I was worried it would fail, and nothing would happen for another 20 years.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:51 am

I'm so happy this passed and even happier it passed with a majority that will end debate on this forever.

Congratulations to any of you involved or volunteering. Well done.

shinatoo
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby shinatoo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:06 am

KCPowercat wrote:wow memory lane going back to the first page of this thread....I was admittedly against a new terminal...but that was 13 years ago.

Ditto.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

shinatoo
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby shinatoo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 am

So who are the 500 people that voted yes on 2 and no on 3? And are there just 11,000 that vote no on everything, no matter what?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am

shinatoo wrote:So who are the 500 people that voted yes on 2 and no on 3? And are there just 11,000 that vote no on everything, no matter what?

Some people are just contrarian. That said...

We know 1 in 4 didn’t want a new terminal
We know some percentage wanted to keep park land deemed unuseful

But we can’t say the same people voted no for all three. It’s also possible that yes for airport was more likely to be ok with keeping the land as parks.

the election boards would need to release closer to raw data to the public to know what happened there

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 am

FangKC wrote:I must admit I'm surprised that it passed by such a larger majority. I was worried it would fail, and nothing would happen for another 20 years.

I was too based on conversations with people I've run across in Midtown and South KC. Some have since changed their mind and ended up voting for it. Great news for KC's future. KC was on a path to become OKC and Omaha if not approved.

BTW, radio stations were really pushing listeners to vote, like 98.9 reviving 'Rock the Vote' from the 90s.

grovester
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby grovester » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:32 am

shinatoo wrote:So who are the 500 people that voted yes on 2 and no on 3? And are there just 11,000 that vote no on everything, no matter what?

I heard one of the properties was home of Stone Lion Puppets who will have to relocate. Sentiment.

SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Postby SWFan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:38 am

FangKC wrote:I must admit I'm surprised that it passed by such a larger majority. I was worried it would fail, and nothing would happen for another 20 years.

I was surprised as well. All the unofficial polling I'd seen showed a split decision. So I was expecting something like 52 to 48 or 48 to 52 as a result.

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:42 am

I wonder if we will start seeing an uptick in flights before the New Terminal starts, or if we will have to wait for 4 years before we see any.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby scooterj » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am

I was impressed that it passed by similar percentages in Clay & Platte, too. Apparently this was one issue that the river doesn't divide us on.

Had I been able to vote in the KCMO election, that's how I would have voted. 2 was relinquishing responsibility for land that, if I understood the parcel correctly, is essentially an oversized median. But 3 is a big block of developable land and there was no information given as to who would get control of it and what they planned to do with it.

swid
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby swid » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 am

ldai_phs wrote:I wonder if we will start seeing an uptick in flights before the New Terminal starts, or if we will have to wait for 4 years before we see any.

I wouldn't expect SW adding additional flights until the new terminal opens - they're effectively maxed out with their current gate allocation.

Alaska, United and the ULCCs could easily add additional flights if they see a market for them, however.

hartliss
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby hartliss » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 am

swid wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:I wonder if we will start seeing an uptick in flights before the New Terminal starts, or if we will have to wait for 4 years before we see any.

I wouldn't expect SW adding additional flights until the new terminal opens - they're effectively maxed out with their current gate allocation.

Alaska, United and the ULCCs could easily add additional flights if they see a market for them, however.

Hard to predict the aviation landscape in 4 years. A lot can happen that will influence airlines and flights. Let's all be proud of the new facility and any new flights we get will be icing on the cake (but if we have no icing, we can still be happy too!)

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 am

Biz Journal article (paywall). Didn't expect Jackson County to be higher than Northland...

The winning margins by county were 77.4 percent south of the river in Jackson County, 73.9 percent in Platte County and 70.5 percent in Clay County.

2021 opening sounds way too optimistic. Would expect 8-10 years even though it's not a new airport from scratch.

Mike Burke, a Kansas City attorney who has led the effort to develop a new $320 million downtown convention headquarters hotel, has been working on that project for about the same length of time. Now, the hotel is scheduled to open in 2020, and the new airport, which will boost the hotel’s bookings, is scheduled to be completed before the end of 2021.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ctory.html

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby loftguy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 pm

scooterj wrote:I was impressed that it passed by similar percentages in Clay & Platte, too. Apparently this was one issue that the river doesn't divide us on.

Had I been able to vote in the KCMO election, that's how I would have voted. 2 was relinquishing responsibility for land that, if I understood the parcel correctly, is essentially an oversized median. But 3 is a big block of developable land and there was no information given as to who would get control of it and what they planned to do with it.

If I understand correctly, Parks and Rec can not negotiate the sale of a property they deem unusable until such time as the public approves the sale of such a property. I looked at the request for a disposition vote as opening the door for Stone Lion to pursue a purchase.

Return to “Kansas City Transportation”