We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:I mean they want it but they won't use it or want to pay for it....it's a fun idea though.
Yea I totally agree.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote:Did anyone go to the public input meeting last night? Interested in hearing how things went without the KC Star or local news media slant.
Run Dowm:
1. Geoff goes over the airport project and what they are thinking in terms of design so far. Then asks the community some vague-ish questions about the airport and the city. "which picture reminds you the most of KC". What does KC mean to you? those types of things. They used a pretty cool texting program where you text in your thoughts and it pops up on the projector and is recorded for future reference.

Anyways he ends with "what is one word that describes the current KCI"
"trash" "old" "decrepit " were the general consensus. This was surprising since pretty much everyone was a suburban retiree.

2. The second part of the meeting was SOM people explaining how the current design of the airport was arrived at and renderings were shown. Id say the majority of people were concerned that it is too small.

3. Small Groups: broke into small groups to discuss what we wanna see in the airport.
top things I heard: Outlets, Fast Wifi, Electric Car Charging stations, Light Rail, lots of glass, BBQ,more electronic Check-in kiosks,

Was mentioned that they want to make the airport one of the most technologically advanced.
An outdoor rooftop park or such is a possibility but it sounded expensive and very hard to pull off.
The number of people involved in the project from the KC area was very surprising,
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can't imagine going to a design meeting of a billion dollar facility and my input is electrical outlets.

So is Kansas City though
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Did anyone bring up anything practical like places for people to shower and change clothes when they are stuck in the airport because of storms, or delays? Perhaps those small sleeping pods like they have in Japan that you can rent by the hour. I always feel sorry for people stuck overnight at KCI who are shown on TV sleeping upright in chairs or on the floor.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:I can't imagine going to a design meeting of a billion dollar facility and my input is electrical outlets.

So is Kansas City though
I hear ya, but it would be cool if we could get a technology partner early to commit to coming in. Google would be the obvious choice if they're interested.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

FangKC wrote:Did anyone bring up anything practical like places for people to shower and change clothes when they are stuck in the airport because of storms, or delays? Perhaps those small sleeping pods like they have in Japan that you can rent by the hour. I always feel sorry for people stuck overnight at KCI who are shown on TV sleeping upright in chairs or on the floor.
This is a good idea, but I think the only way it would happen is if an airline paid to open a club.

On a related note, what do people think about connecting a hotel to the airport? I know one of the proposals recommended it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:
FangKC wrote:Did anyone bring up anything practical like places for people to shower and change clothes when they are stuck in the airport because of storms, or delays? Perhaps those small sleeping pods like they have in Japan that you can rent by the hour. I always feel sorry for people stuck overnight at KCI who are shown on TV sleeping upright in chairs or on the floor.
This is a good idea, but I think the only way it would happen is if an airline paid to open a club.

On a related note, what do people think about connecting a hotel to the airport? I know one of the proposals recommended it.
They are currently planning on 2 clubs.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote:I can't imagine going to a design meeting of a billion dollar facility and my input is electrical outlets.

So is Kansas City though
Not like KCI has an abundance of outlets. So, IMO, justified.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Two thoughts on light rail.

1. How do you fund it? If it's a billion dollars to build from DT to KCI could we tack another buck onto ticketing? We would still be lower than most major airports. I think it would put us around $9. Of course, it would serve many communities along the way so they could also carry the burden. Maybe KCI funds the rail line and each community that wants a stop kicks in X amount of money. Seams like a TDD along that corridor plus KCI funding would be a very low tax burden.

2. Would KCI go for it? My understanding is that over 50% of KCI's revenue is from parking. So every light rail trip is one less parking fee.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shinatoo wrote:

So is Kansas City though
Not like KCI has an abundance of outlets. So, IMO, justified.
That's just table stakes for a modern airport I guess is my point. Bring bigger ideas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ldai_phs wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:

They are currently planning on 2 clubs.
USO and .....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote:

So is Kansas City though
I hear ya, but it would be cool if we could get a technology partner early to commit to coming in. Google would be the obvious choice if they're interested.

See this is a good idea. I'm stealing it if you aren't going to one of the design meetings.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KCPowercat wrote:
ldai_phs wrote: They are currently planning on 2 clubs.
USO and .....
None of the legacy carriers has a large enough presence here to bother with operating a lounge of their own, so I'd bet on it being "The Club at MCI" (Priority Pass, etc.), with an outside chance of it being an Amex Centurion lounge instead.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's a good assumption although AA is our second largest carrier and has lounges at places like AUS GSO BDL BNA RDU TPA STL
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Is there not an effort to tie airport technology into the Smart City initiative? Seems like a no-brainer.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

kcjak wrote:Is there not an effort to tie airport technology into the Smart City initiative? Seems like a no-brainer.
There is. They mentioned this idea a lot at the meeting last night. SOM is calling to build the "smartest" airport in North America.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

swid wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
ldai_phs wrote: They are currently planning on 2 clubs.
USO and .....
None of the legacy carriers has a large enough presence here to bother with operating a lounge of their own, so I'd bet on it being "The Club at MCI" (Priority Pass, etc.), with an outside chance of it being an Amex Centurion lounge instead.
USO Plus 2 airline clubs
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Excited!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I can't imagine going to a design meeting of a billion dollar facility and my input is electrical outlets.

So is Kansas City though
I understand what you're saying about bringing bigger ideas, but small touches like outlets are a necessity, and frankly "$1 billion" is chump change for a ground-up new terminal in 2017.

My worry is that our budget is too low and corners are cut to build to cost, rather than create something special. Hopefully will be proven wrong with SOM designing it.

I do hope transportation to/from and around the new terminal is discussed in detail: dedicated ride share in front of terminal, prominent electric charging stations built to accommodate future demand, potential for future fixed transit, elegant integration of parking garage (as much as possible).

As a cherry on top hope to see some big, bright new public art and/or fountains, as in the rendering. Obliterate the cramped dark memories of the old terminals!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The airlines will be involved in design and can easily agree to larger lease payments to get their customer the experience they want.