We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

The process of moving the airport to the port authority would be challenged and we would delay this further I'm guessing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The appears process for the lawsuits could take 3-5 years by itself.

Big time lawyers are really good at delaying things.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

It would be like turning the zoo over to a private operator. The City has the authority to do it but does it have the will.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

My understanding one of the challenges is that the city agreed to put the airport to a public vote so I don't know if they cal legally make the airport private or if they have to put it to a vote still? I do know there's been some focus groups on it and apparently the focus group still believes the City would control the airport even if it went to regional authority. Obviously that isn't the case, but I think I was told the citizens would have to agree to sell the airport off. So I don't know that spinning the airport off is an easy solution either.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I mean we all know the solution, but we're still holding listening sessions. Let's put the damn thing on the ballot and start the campaign to convince people this is the right thing to do. Let's get Southwest, AA, and the business community involved. And if it fails, then let's look at the port authority.

It's time for some leadership here. You guys got your bonds, now let's do this.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Turning to airport to the Port Authority wouldn't mean selling it off. Instead of the city operating it like it is done now the airport would be given to another entity to operate. As I said like the zoo and in addition how Kemper Arena was run for a few years.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

People seem to assume if the city passed off responsibility for the airport that it would go to the Port Authority. What about ATA?

What do people think the pros and cons are for ATA vs. Port?

ATA is bi-state. Much larger organization with experience managing people, federal grants, and facilities. ATA is moving towards diversification/expansion of mission to include TOD and ecodev. ATA could be keen on improving transit between jobs/pop center and airport.

Port is under strict control of the city, it has recently reopened the river port and Richards gebauer airport as a rail hub, though those are both more of a leasing agent role. other than that it has limited staffing and physical asset management experience and probably no experience working with fed grants. It has lots of ecodevo experience, however it's public image and history isn't squeaky clean.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

And BTW, I don't think the city would ever sell the airport. It would only transfer it to a quasi-public entity like the ATA or Port. Selling an asset like that would be crazy.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

swid wrote:Here we go again on the city's airport push: Neighborhood listening sessions starting on KCI airport's future
This is good. It's a much needed education campaign. The only people having a vested interest in keeping KCI as it is are the extremely insular non flying public, those misinformed about how a new terminal would be funded, and the Spartan traveler who has figured out how to make last second arrivals at the gate (which only works if very few people actually do it). Frankly, I think the city can change minds (although I think the extent of opposition is overestimated) and get this done without turning it over to another entity. The convenience myth is deeply imbedded but I see a lot of evidence that its crumbling too. Anti progress groups like citizens for responsible government, as we have recently seen, have very little ability to impact public opinion.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCFan wrote:I thought some would find this Saturday picture from Justin Meyer interesting. The line is back further than you can even see. The luggage check is almost completely blocking the walk way.

https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/statu ... 2143692800
what the sam hell is going on there?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

warwickland wrote:
KCFan wrote:I thought some would find this Saturday picture from Justin Meyer interesting. The line is back further than you can even see. The luggage check is almost completely blocking the walk way.

They scan ALL checked luggage in the passenger section before sending it downstairs. That's the backlog for that around spring break.
It's been this way for years.

You know all those messages about unattended luggage notice as a way to stop someone from walking off without a dangerous package?
Tell me how someone couldn't add their own luggage to this collection. A dangerous package would be right next to the check in lines.

More likely, that's a place to steal luggage from. At pick up people are watching for theirs, but it goes here and people walk off.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

flyingember wrote:
warwickland wrote:

They scan ALL checked luggage in the passenger section before sending it downstairs. That's the backlog for that around spring break.
It's been this way for years.

You know all those messages about unattended luggage notice as a way to stop someone from walking off without a dangerous package?
Tell me how someone couldn't add their own luggage to this collection. A dangerous package would be right next to the check in lines.

More likely, that's a place to steal luggage from. At pick up people are watching for theirs, but it goes here and people walk off.
Sounds like a management issue.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

For those who think KCI is super convenient, I just saw Delta move a gate for a flight to LA from one gate to another gate in a different security section. Literally telling people on the intercom they have to leave security and reenter elsewhere. Just the convenience you want at 5:00 AM!
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Here comes the business community push; the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, the Kansas City Civic Council, and the Kansas City Area Development Council will be part of the "A Better KCI" initiative.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I love how in the renderings, they just throw some random "KC BBQ" and Chiefs signage up. Anyway, I almost fell asleep reading that article, let alone watching the video.

Why is the city so bad at 1) talking like humans, and 2) creating a coherent story about why this is needed?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Anecdote #2 from me for the year. My wife and I just got back from Cancun and to book our flights we flew out on one airline (Delta) and back on another (American). We parked our car in economy parking for 5 days while we were gone since our flight times were super early leaving and mildly late coming back. The thing though is Delta and American fly out of different terminals so we parked our car in economy lot B to make sure to catch our outbound flight and had to take two buses to get back to our car since we arrived in terminal C. As it turns out apparently we didn't have to do this after all since after 7:30 the blue bus will take you to the opposite economy lot - but it's once again silly to not have a single terminal where you can just get on a bus to economy parking regardless of where you depart and arrive from.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's telling that one of the country's largest airport design and construction companies calls the airport a second class airport and is willing to finance it!

Yet Loar still isn't convinced. Sheesh.

Interestingly, they say they take 33k flights annually. So they effectively account for a regional connecting flight worth of tickets per day every weekday of the year.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Part of me thinks they should cancel the election as a big FU since no taxes would be needed, but I'd also like to see it pass with the infrastructure margins and put the do nothing crowd back in their hole for a while.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Burns & McDonald is obviously putting this plan forward because they see profit in it. Where would this increased profit be coming from?