We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:11 pm 15% design would worry me a bit too. They've already designed cheap and now they have to design towards even cheaper while protecting their profit.

And we're looking at blowing $1 million in short term interest costs just for PR reasons.
It may not require a 15% cut to the design. The current risk involved with having only the conceptual drawings likely has caused the constructors to “round up” on pricing. I believe the idea is that the construction costs will naturally be reduced as design progress (and risk decreases).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:11 pm 15% design would worry me a bit too. They've already designed cheap and now they have to design towards even cheaper while protecting their profit.

And we're looking at blowing $1 million in short term interest costs just for PR reasons.
It may not require a 15% cut to the design. The current risk involved with having only the conceptual drawings likely has caused the constructors to “round up” on pricing. I believe the idea is that the construction costs will naturally be reduced as design progress (and risk decreases).
Sorry, my wording was really poor. I was trying to say that it worries me more that they still only appear to be at 15% design progress. Not that I'm blaming them, I enjoy getting paid for my work too.

That just seems like a low number that would need more time to figure out cost overruns, design cuts, and responsibility. Not to mention financial close.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:05 pm When I sad I was okay with short term financing I wasn't responding just to outside loans. I've said somewhere before I'd like to see the difference in cost between interfund and outside borrowing to see what that difference is.

Is optics worth a million? Not to me but I'm not the crazy people screaming about no general funds nor do I have to be reelected.
Is anyone talking about it though? It appears to me the only people talking about it are them and the Star editorial board, and with respect to both, I imagine their draw is relatively low.

I just wish there was one person in charge that could Shepard everyone into one coherent message. Ideally that'd be the mayor but he seems to be largely uninterested in this compared to past projects.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was asked many times at committee today and options will be presented before final sign off.

It maybe moot if they can get the bonds up for sale within a month to 45 days.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:28 pm Sorry, my wording was really poor. I was trying to say that it worries me more that they still only appear to be at 15% design progress. Not that I'm blaming them, I enjoy getting paid for my work too.

That just seems like a low number that would need more time to figure out cost overruns, design cuts, and responsibility. Not to mention financial close.
They stopped on purpose

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ai ... ign-stalls
Meanwhile, the KCI-Edgemoor team is still waiting for the FAA to approve the environmental assessment for the project. It is being reviewed by the agency's attorneys and will then have to move through four departments.

Stricker said that process is holding up further design work.

"We're about 10 or 15 percent. We finished conceptual design, and we can't move forward to schematic design until the EA is approved," he said.

Stricker added completing no more than that amount of design was the guidance the FAA provided for the EA.
the design should be 60 percent complete in July and 90 percent by the end of the year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Heather hall just suggested the airport may be a waste because the green new deal will get rid of airline travel before the 30 years that this will be fully paid off.

She was not wearing her MAGA hat at the time.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The other day Trump was laughing at the Green New Deal at a rally saying that it would end up with taking away all travel options for Americans and the only way to get from point A to point B would be by expensive-to-build high speed rail. He inferred that we wouldn't be able to fly or drive to places of our choosing, only trains to places that are deemed to be important because they are on the rail network #-o
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

EA to be signed by the FAA today.

Developer agreement voted out of airport committee to the full council(recommend do pass).

Term sheet to be signed next week.(Wednesday?)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There was a March 11th date thrown out for something.

Great day.....let's get construction fence up!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:46 am Heather hall just suggested the airport may be a waste because the green new deal will get rid of airline travel before the 30 years that this will be fully paid off.

She was not wearing her MAGA hat at the time.
For the sake of argument let's say it becomes law and we get rid of air travel

The airport could be repurposed into a train station. It has baggage, security, waiting rooms ready to go. Just need to build tracks to it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Pittsburgh to build new $1.1 billion terminal with spectacular hilly roof.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Let's sneak over and steal it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Holy roofs are so 2018
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm Pittsburgh to build new $1.1 billion terminal with spectacular hilly roof.
Pitt also has natural gas extraction revenues, more warehousing revenues, and a much bigger cargo operation. IMHO we should be focusing a lot more on expanding our air cargo and airport adjacent manufacturing and logistic space. STL is planning on building out a huge cargo facility.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I can't stand seeing Shields on tv news during the airport planning meeting segments - she's so anti-everything and grandstands about how the committee and council are trying to pull one over on everyone.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hasn't she been super pro airport and this developer? Seems to be my impression. Now Loar is another deal.

So now heather hall says she was being sarcastic about the green new deal. Riiiiight
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:40 am I can't stand seeing Shields on tv news during the airport planning meeting segments - she's so anti-everything and grandstands about how the committee and council are trying to pull one over on everyone.
So in other words, she's saying she's part of the problem. Got it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:47 am Hasn't she been super pro airport and this developer? Seems to be my impression. Now Loar is another deal.

So now heather hall says she was being sarcastic about the green new deal. Riiiiight
You're right - it was Loar. I have Shields on my mind for other reasons.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes or no!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Final Enviromental Assesment, Finding of No Impact, and Record of Decision can be found here

https://www.kci-edgemoor.com/documents