We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:The airlines will be involved in design and can easily agree to larger lease payments to get their customer the experience they want.
Airline input is the reason I believe that a bigger than expected terminal was discussed
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

rxlexi wrote:
I can't imagine going to a design meeting of a billion dollar facility and my input is electrical outlets.

So is Kansas City though

I do hope transportation to/from and around the new terminal is discussed in detail: dedicated ride share in front of terminal, prominent electric charging stations built to accommodate future demand, potential for future fixed transit, elegant integration of parking garage (as much as possible).

As a cherry on top hope to see some big, bright new public art and/or fountains, as in the rendering. Obliterate the cramped dark memories of the old terminals!
I think everything you mention is planned or being seriously discussed.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

ldai_phs wrote:
swid wrote:
KCPowercat wrote: USO and .....
None of the legacy carriers has a large enough presence here to bother with operating a lounge of their own, so I'd bet on it being "The Club at MCI" (Priority Pass, etc.), with an outside chance of it being an Amex Centurion lounge instead.
USO Plus 2 airline clubs
This is good news. My going assumption was (is?) that we'd get a "Club @ KCI" style one because of Southwest being so big and not doing their own. And than I was hoping AA would return.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I can't imagine going to a design meeting of a billion dollar facility and my input is electrical outlets.

So is Kansas City though
I hear ya, but it would be cool if we could get a technology partner early to commit to coming in. Google would be the obvious choice if they're interested.

See this is a good idea. I'm stealing it if you aren't going to one of the design meetings.
I'm out of KC for the next few months so steal away. :D
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote:Two thoughts on light rail.

1. How do you fund it? If it's a billion dollars to build from DT to KCI could we tack another buck onto ticketing? We would still be lower than most major airports. I think it would put us around $9. Of course, it would serve many communities along the way so they could also carry the burden. Maybe KCI funds the rail line and each community that wants a stop kicks in X amount of money. Seams like a TDD along that corridor plus KCI funding would be a very low tax burden.

2. Would KCI go for it? My understanding is that over 50% of KCI's revenue is from parking. So every light rail trip is one less parking fee.
They can't spend money outside the airport. So they could build 1 station and a little bit of track, but my understanding is that the airport isn't rolling in dough.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The only thing this terminal may want to add is a place that a rail or brt station could hook into without looking like an add on
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:The only thing this terminal may want to add is a place that a rail or brt station could hook into without looking like an add on
They already said this was in the plans. I would like to see it not be -OR- but rather both. Have enough space that could bring in two trains, multiple express busses from across the city and the airport busses all to the same spot

The related thing the city should do a quick engineering plan to define a general track path away from the airport. Could see it being multiple options identified, like A would go through Tiffany Springs, B through Zona Rosa and C would bypass both but be shorter.

Don't need to do a lot of work or know the grades, but drawing a line and saying any work within X feet get an extra look at to make sure it wouldn't interfere would go a long way.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

BRT makes far more sense than rail right now. I'm picturing something kind of Barcelona style to start with which I've always found really easy and enjoyable. Limited stops and all feeding into the streetcar.

Nothing wrong with charging more if it's nice and reliable. I'd brand it separately than the local busses too if I was in charge.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WoodDraw wrote:
FangKC wrote:Did anyone bring up anything practical like places for people to shower and change clothes when they are stuck in the airport because of storms, or delays? Perhaps those small sleeping pods like they have in Japan that you can rent by the hour. I always feel sorry for people stuck overnight at KCI who are shown on TV sleeping upright in chairs or on the floor.
This is a good idea, but I think the only way it would happen is if an airline paid to open a club.

On a related note, what do people think about connecting a hotel to the airport? I know one of the proposals recommended it.
I was talking about a facility that all delayed flyers could use, not some club operated by the largest carrier for their customers. People traveling on small carriers get trapped in the airport too, and they need access to facilities where they can shower and perhaps change clothes. Many travelers get caught in storms, and some don't have the money to go to a hotel--students for example. It doesn't have to be huge, just a small area with separate facilities for men and women where they can pay a small fee for a shower, soap, and towels; and a dressing room.

I think it's a good idea to connect a hotel to the terminal. Many travelers who are delayed by storms hate being shuttled to off-site hotels. Even business travelers appreciates staying onsite. Waiting for, and taking, a shuttle bus adds unpredictable travel time and the traveler has to compensate for that to get back to the airport for their rescheduled flight.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree with everything fang said and someone please bring it up at the design meetings.

For an example of why a connected hotel is so great, I have a stupidly bad flight coming up in a different city. I get in at noon, have a few meetings, and fly out at 530am the next day. Shuttles are stressful and you constantly have to worry if they're going to be there. But I want some place to nap and shower. They also often will give you day rooms if you just need to work or nap or shower before you leave.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:
FangKC wrote:Did anyone bring up anything practical like places for people to shower and change clothes when they are stuck in the airport because of storms, or delays? Perhaps those small sleeping pods like they have in Japan that you can rent by the hour. I always feel sorry for people stuck overnight at KCI who are shown on TV sleeping upright in chairs or on the floor.
This is a good idea, but I think the only way it would happen is if an airline paid to open a club.

On a related note, what do people think about connecting a hotel to the airport? I know one of the proposals recommended it.
I was talking about a facility that all delayed flyers could use, not some club operated by the largest carrier for their customers. People traveling on small carriers get trapped in the airport too, and they need access to facilities where they can shower and perhaps change clothes. Many travelers get caught in storms, and some don't have the money to go to a hotel--students for example. It doesn't have to be huge, just a small area with separate facilities for men and women where they can pay a small fee for a shower, soap, and towels; and a dressing room.

I think it's a good idea to connect a hotel to the terminal. Many travelers who are delayed by storms hate being shuttled to off-site hotels. Even business travelers appreciates staying onsite. Waiting for, and taking, a shuttle bus adds unpredictable travel time and the traveler has to compensate for that to get back to the airport for their rescheduled flight.
Would be interesting to see where it would go. I was told that because of where the Control Tower is, we will probably have to build a second terminal on top of where B is today if we ever need to expand past the 42 gates. So the B and C areas probably can't hold the hotel
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

ldai_phs wrote:
Would be interesting to see where it would go. I was told that because of where the Control Tower is, we will probably have to build a second terminal on top of where B is today if we ever need to expand past the 42 gates. So the B and C areas probably can't hold the hotel
From the images Edgemoor has provided, I can see two locations for a hotel, which I've indicated in the illustration above as "A" and "B." The proposed garage is six levels, so the hotel building could probably be that tall as well without affecting the control tower.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:Image
ldai_phs wrote:
From the images Edgemoor has provided, I can see two locations for a hotel, which I've indicated in the illustration above as "A" and "B." The proposed garage is six levels, so the hotel building could probably be that tall as well without affecting the control tower.
This image is not from edgemoor......
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I still think they should explore more on an X design vs the H
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote:I can't imagine going to a design meeting of a billion dollar facility and my input is electrical outlets.

So is Kansas City though
But it is those small little details may end up being overlooked and then when built people wonder why somebody didn't think of that.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

ldai_phs wrote:This image is not from edgemoor......
You're right. I've tried to figure out where this image originated, but I can only ever find it in articles, none of which say where it came from. My best guess is that city hall made it to promote the idea of a new airport. It's been floating around since 2013 at least.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Someone should really tell them to have jetways or that detail might be missed.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Looks like precheck in the Southwest area is getting a taste of what a new airport will be like. They moved all TSA precheck traffic for Southwest through the "secret" gate and removed normal entry from that gate. It will make both more efficient at checking people in, but precheck folks will have to walk a bit more. Unfortunately, those without precheck who use to use the "secret" gate have to use the more populated one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The 100 steps to the gate died at kci years ago.... The new precheck location works well except they need someone to help non precheck people before they get into line. Signs are everywhere but many don't pay attention
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

bobbyhawks wrote:Looks like precheck in the Southwest area is getting a taste of what a new airport will be like. They moved all TSA precheck traffic for Southwest through the "secret" gate and removed normal entry from that gate. It will make both more efficient at checking people in, but precheck folks will have to walk a bit more. Unfortunately, those without precheck who use to use the "secret" gate have to use the more populated one.
I just went through the new Pre-Check gate this morning. There was essentially no line for the security screening, but the walk was indeed longer.