We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by mean »

Ah, well, makes sense. When I want things that the public doesn't want, government must subvert the will of the people. But when I don't want things the public doesn't want, there must be a vote, and if government subverts the will of the people, democracy is ruined forever. Typical cognitive bias.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

mean wrote:I agree that it's the only way it will get done, but to do so will open the doors for the next Funkhouser-style anti-development populist.
I'm not sure people can't be convinced with a good education campaign. But, I agree with your second point, going around voters on this issue is a terrible idea. I think the city council should handle almost everything without going to a public vote but people have such strong opinions on this issue, finding a backdoor is going to turn people off to city government even more than they already are.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

If the airlines really want/need this, they need to get more out front on the issue. I'm talking SW ads that show flight sale offers with an asterisk that says "Except you KC!"
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"I think the city council should handle almost everything without going to a public vote"

If this is going to involve debt issued by the City government then yes it should be put to a vote. However, debt issued by the Port Authority is not considered public debt. Whether for this project or any other project benefiting the city.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

I for one feel that I have voted for enough when I vote for my councilman/woman. I don't feel the need to vote on every issue like the Damn Citizens For Responsible Government try to force me to do while costs soar. (See downtown convention hotel). If I don"t like the way they are stewards of the public and my vote I can always ''Vote The Bums Out!"
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the airlines really want a new terminal at KCI, the very best method to get the voters in KCMO to approve it is for the airlines to announce they deem KCI obsolete, and are in talks with Johnson County, and the State of Kansas, to build a new airport there, and that they will completely pull out of KCI. The airlines should also announce they will call it Overland Park International Airport. That will do the trick.

Having no major airline tenants at KCI will also make mostly unprofitable all the hotels and car rental businesses around the airport.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

When you say that "KCI should..." it doesn't really make sense. The city literally owns the airport. KCI will never decide to move to KS. And while I'm sure you probably mean something more like the FAA or the Feds, they will never request to move to KS either. Not to mention the political impossibility of such a move, but in just the past year the feds have spent 10 of millions of dollars upgrading runways, not to mention the 100s of millions sunk into other surrounding infrastructure. They are invested up to their eyeballs in KCI. While its a good threat and you're right, it probably good sway some people, its an empty threat. The airport is not moving to KS.

Edit: and I see now that Fang (and others) were talking about the airlines...must of what I said still applies- i just don't see how they can convince the fed, the state of KS, OP, or anyone else to make the moves you are talking about or how that game of chicken is in their interest. They will simply work around KC and provide minimal services that are profitable. Its not like there is some huge amount of untapped profit that would be unleashed for them if only KC had a better terminal.
Last edited by kboish on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

He said the airlines would do the threatening....I agree it's not happening due to the infrastructure investment it would take to move an airport.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That kind of threat barely works with something the public is heavily emotionally invested in, like sports teams and stadiums (and doesn't always... KC tends to be more gullible to that kind of crap than, say, San Diego--we'll see what happens there). Nobody is emotionally invested in the airport in that way. When huge percentages of the population have I FLY KCI shirts and hats and coffee mugs and whatnot, maybe that plot works.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You've not seen people get super mad on planes when they say "welcome to Kansas" :D
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

JD Power just ranked KCI 26th out of 33 mid-size airports. Finally, we can start arguing that it is no longer convenient and has likely met its useful life limit.

EDIT: Adding link http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ction.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Current terminal fans just explain it away as the airport authority purposely making it worse and closing terminal A as the reasons for the drop.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:You've not seen people get super mad on planes when they say "welcome to Kansas" :D
You're right, although I can't remember anyone saying "Welcome to Kansas" at all. It may have happened, but usually at that point I'm strategizing how I can most quickly retrieve my carryon and deplane. All the, "We know you have choices when you fly and we're glad you chose us, blah blah blah, welcome to wherever, please remain seated until blah blah blah" chatter usually comes across more like the adults in Peanuts cartoons than actual comprehensible human speech.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

mean wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:You've not seen people get super mad on planes when they say "welcome to Kansas" :D
You're right, although I can't remember anyone saying "Welcome to Kansas" at all. It may have happened, but usually at that point I'm strategizing how I can most quickly retrieve my carryon and deplane. All the, "We know you have choices when you fly and we're glad you chose us, blah blah blah, welcome to wherever, please remain seated until blah blah blah" chatter usually comes across more like the adults in Peanuts cartoons than actual comprehensible human speech.
Ha, so true.
KCPowercat wrote:Current terminal fans just explain it away as the airport authority purposely making it worse and closing terminal A as the reasons for the drop.
Yes, those naysayers will always find something to blame, but I believe the more and more we can educate the public on this matter that it WILL help. Just look at what JoCo did with their recent tax increase for the county courthouse. They sent out mailers, justified the need, included cost comparisons for upgrading versus building new and mentioned new and improved services that would be gained. One could have easily argued that the county should have been preparing to replace the aging courthouse all along and that this was an example of poor fiscal responsibility. However, it passed overwhelmingly and there were very campaigns against the increase. The city could be doing the same for KCI and could highlight that there are NO additional taxes. Just saying that education can work if done properly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems airlines could help with that marketing as well
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I'm hearing rumors the airlines might move to Los Angeles if we don't build them a new airport????
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That is true. Steve Glorioso told me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:If this is going to involve debt issued by the City government then yes it should be put to a vote. However, debt issued by the Port Authority KCATA is not considered public debt. Whether for this project or any other project benefiting the city.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phuqueue wrote:I'm hearing rumors the airlines might move to Los Angeles if we don't build them a new airport????
In the 80's, there was a concerted effort by Johnson County to get commercial flights to the former Olathe Naval Air Station (now New Century Air Center). It took a lot of pressure by KCI on the targeted airlines to abort the effort. While there is no way KC could ever support a second airport, I can see a scenario where the airlines would give up on KCI and support an new airport in Johnson County if the leadership there would support it and be willing to back the effort - it's simply a matter of getting the airlines on board. It's not that unrealistic of a scenario. The customers of the airports are the airlines.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

They would have to get the feds on board, wouldn't they?