We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by WoodDraw »

I've relaxed my opinion after my initial online outrage phase. I think it was a poor presentation that lacked focus.

I hope they can clear up their design goals and come back next time with something that defines better what they want that isn't so airline focused. I guess I got too much of an airline and small KC focus to this.

Maybe less about toilets and more about innovation. Less wood and more glass. More experience and less number of steps and bathrooms
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I did notice that we have glass jet bridges. That's a nice touch.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Evidently, there will always be a soldier in view at the new airport.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's 7 open houses in September. Sounds like a good place to give constructive feedback.

https://goo.gl/forms/eRfFYiR17X5RrnLt2
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cityscape wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:18 pm I did notice that we have glass jet bridges. That's a nice touch.
I don't get this honestly. I feel these should be where we save money not going for the upgrades.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:56 am Question for architecture/engineer types...does a lot of clear materials in the roof make for more or less energy efficiency? Obv natural light helps with lighting costs but how expensive of "glass" do you need to make sure you aren't wasting a ton of energy to heat/cool?
Lots of clear material in the roof makes acoustics very challenging. In a space where announcements are important, it would be a less than ideal situation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

acoustics didn't' even occur to me....an airport must be a challenging space to design.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The original design of the roof looks 100 times better. I hope they can bring it back. It's not the end of the world if the main terminal is a box, but I was hoping for more of a wow factor.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am Almost impossible to tell from these poor initial renderings, but where is the awesome scallop-roof design from the preliminary images? I loved that element, and if we get a generic flat box I'll be very disappointed.

I understand perhaps losing the two-story indoor fountain, but first impression is this looks like a major downgrade from earlier images. We want something a "little" special, right? Will withhold further judgement until much higher quality images become available.
They're called conceptual renderings for a reason. They're 99.999% make believe. Making any personal opinions about a project and your backing of it off of those is reckless.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm
rxlexi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am Almost impossible to tell from these poor initial renderings, but where is the awesome scallop-roof design from the preliminary images? I loved that element, and if we get a generic flat box I'll be very disappointed.

I understand perhaps losing the two-story indoor fountain, but first impression is this looks like a major downgrade from earlier images. We want something a "little" special, right? Will withhold further judgement until much higher quality images become available.
They're called conceptual renderings for a reason. They're 99.999% make believe. Making any personal opinions about a project and your backing of it off of those is reckless.
99.999% of the voting public doesn't know or understand that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"reckless"
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 pm "reckless"
Yeah I'm not sure don't use their own pictures against them is going to win many arguments. Maybe we should rethink what party is reckless here lol.

"I can't believe those renderings I released were assumed to be accurate. I give you now, a Walmart."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The original KCI ended up looking exactly what they went to voters with. Only thing missing from the renderings was the SST(american version of the concorde) flying in.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Correct me if I’m wrong.....
The proposed elevated section in the middle of the terminal structure (1972) didn’t happen. The 1972 terminals promised space for large planes like the 747 but didn’t deliver on that front. The 1972 terminals promised the ability to become the next North American Superhub which they didn’t turn out being able to handle. I guess you can say the current terminals generally delivered what they promised design wise but basically not in function at all. We all know how that has turned out for us. IMHO a design that provides the promised performance is better than just sticking to what you showed first.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm The original KCI ended up looking exactly what they went to voters with. Only thing missing from the renderings was the SST(american version of the concorde) flying in.

Ehhh close enough
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:07 pm
moderne wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm The original KCI ended up looking exactly what they went to voters with. Only thing missing from the renderings was the SST(american version of the concorde) flying in.

Ehhh close enough
There was also a version with an elevated section above the middle portion of the terminal.

P.S. why did planes park parallel?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Have they admitted that their design wasn't practical though, or are they still claiming they're going to relocate the fountain and roof to a field?

This just seems to be an airport that's basic as fuck with no pushback from anyone involved.

The sprint center was paid for with use fees, and the renderings changed significantly, but I'm still happy with how it was built. This looks awful. I would have been embarrassed to put it out if I was the project manager.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 pm Have they admitted that their design wasn't practical though, or are they still claiming they're going to relocate the fountain and roof to a field?

This just seems to be an airport that's basic as fuck with no pushback from anyone involved.

The sprint center was paid for with use fees, and the renderings changed significantly, but I'm still happy with how it was built. This looks awful. I would have been embarrassed to put it out if I was the project manager.
A fountain in the center of the entrance isn’t practical..... This is the concept design. Not meant to show the fine details and things. The purpose is much more to show massing and function.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 pm Have they admitted that their design wasn't practical though, or are they still claiming they're going to relocate the fountain and roof to a field?

In their presentation they did admit that the fountain design wasn't practical in its placement because they need that space for people. They did however say they still plan to include a significant water feature to highlight KC's fountains. They have not yet come up with where or what that is.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The bridge between the two concourses would be an interesting space for one.

Alternate windows and fountains running down the wall the entire length of it. Put LEDs behind the water that can be lit up to match what's going on downtown with lit up buildings.