We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

The approval to pay is also approving the money to tear down.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:15 pm That’s not going to happen. You can’t expect a company that’s been yanked around for the past year and a half to then spend $10s of millions at risk.

It's been a two.way street on the yanking ...but agreed.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:40 am There aren't any amenities outside security either is the most lol part of kull"s continuing defense of our trash airport.
Not to belabor the point but here is some interesting reading on Yelp regarding what the outside world thinks of KCI. There are a few 5 star ratings (very few and mostly from Kansas Citians) but the overwhelming response is 1 and 2 stars. Actually, having so many outsiders give awful reviews of the place makes me a bit sad and kind of makes me want to defend KCI. But unfortunately, they are right.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kansas-city-in ... 5?start=40
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This airport committee meeting makes me think we don't have the best people in the room to make this deal in city staff.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm This airport committee meeting makes me think we don't have the best people in the room to make this deal in city staff.
My belief in the need to replace a certain member of the city council has been reaffirmed.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."
-Deepthroat, All the President's Men
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm This airport committee meeting makes me think we don't have the best people in the room to make this deal in city staff.
My belief in the need to replace a certain member of the city council has been reaffirmed.
Both can be true and I believe they are. Council definitely owns some.of this "delay"
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I feel like the problem is the process legitimately takes longer than expected.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Because we have inexperienced staff and developer. Their problem was over promising due to not knowing how difficult this is to get going (in my opinion) Hell the city manager promised this would be done in 2021 originally.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 pm Because we have inexperienced staff and developer. Their problem was over promising due to not knowing how difficult this is to get going (in my opinion) Hell the city manager promised this would be done in 2021 originally.
That shouldn't have been unknown.

The 2009 document for the south terminal was to have construction itself take nearly five years.
https://www.flykci.com/media/1315/mp-ex ... 2-2009.pdf
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

3 council members have approached AECOM and Burns and MAC for their updated numbers on a new terminal.

How can we expect Edgemoor and the airlines to continue progress if we,the city, act like this?
We want Edgemoor to continue to work at their own risk yet we also approach outside firms - letting Edgemoor know that they could be replaced and left unpaid.
We want the airlines to quickly make decisions and to approve this project. Yet, the city is openly taking steps to reset the entire project.

At yesterday’s meeting, Loar got on Jermaine for speaking to airline reps. A hypocrite, she was also talking to other airports and developers/gc’s. She needs to be repealed and replaced
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Seems to me not a bad thing to see alternatives and then push Edgemoor to produce a better product and speed up work. They better get busy or they will lose this contract. Just getting the bid and skating isn’t going to get it done.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm not sure why people think Edgemoor has anything to do with whats going on right now. The issue/hold-up is the airlines.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

There shouldn't even be questions about the developers at this point. Seems like the city is trying to make this as needlessly difficult and complicated a process as possible. Doing junk like this isn't going to convince any party to work harder, it's just going to make everyone panic.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm ^ Seems to me not a bad thing to see alternatives and then push Edgemoor to produce a better product and speed up work. They better get busy or they will lose this contract. Just getting the bid and skating isn’t going to get it done.
Why would the Edgemoor team continue to sink millions more (at their own risk) into a project/city that continues to delay and potentially even cancel the project. The Burns and Mac team can not even provide an accurate price at this point. They have not participated in any of the design process or program validation that has been taking place between Edgemoor/KC/Airlines.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

City: As airlines wrestle with deal, there's now no timeline for KCI work
The waiting game continues for progress on the $1.6 billion overhaul of Kansas City International Airport after a meeting Thursday where airport representatives couldn’t offer an updated timeline for the completion of an agreement between the airlines on how to split the cost of the project.

Aviation Director Pat Klein said the decision now is with the airlines, who are bringing or planning to bring the negotiated terms to their boards or CEOs, who will make the final call on whether the airlines sign on to the project. That agreement is necessary before work can begin.
https://tinyurl.com/y9d6jago
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not helpful but I'm not crying a drop for edgmoor..... They own part of this
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 pm Not helpful but I'm not crying a drop for edgmoor..... They own part of this
Not really. As the city council and others have mentioned they have done everything that has been asked of them. They didn't award themselves the business, the city did.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm 3 council members have approached AECOM and Burns and MAC for their updated numbers on a new terminal.

How can we expect Edgemoor and the airlines to continue progress if we,the city, act like this?
We want Edgemoor to continue to work at their own risk yet we also approach outside firms - letting Edgemoor know that they could be replaced and left unpaid.
We want the airlines to quickly make decisions and to approve this project. Yet, the city is openly taking steps to reset the entire project.

At yesterday’s meeting, Loar got on Jermaine for speaking to airline reps. A hypocrite, she was also talking to other airports and developers/gc’s. She needs to be repealed and replaced
FWIW she is running unopposed in her district. 4 more years!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

hartliss wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 pm Not helpful but I'm not crying a drop for edgmoor..... They own part of this
Not really. As the city council and others have mentioned they have done everything that has been asked of them. They didn't award themselves the business, the city did.
They offered up a timeline during bidding that was not reality.