We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by Highlander »

Any ideas when construction will commence? Just had another poor experience at KCI. What a fricking embarrassment to the city, the new airport cannot be finished too soon. When leaving KC, we went to the airport early due to bad weather (rain and snow) and unwisely went through security early to the Alaskan Airlines gate. Restrooms and absolutely nothing else behind security except shitty cramped conditions - could not even buy water. When we landed in Portland, it was like Dorothy landing in Oz and everything being in color. Very nice airport there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

60 days?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:05 pm60 days?
Where did you hear that
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

See. When I lived in New York City and Phoenix, I would come home to visit my family in NW Missouri. At Christmas, we would always leave early, because it 's a 90-minute drive, to allow for any potential obstacles that might pop up that might make me late for the plane. Often upon early arrival at the airport, I'd find that my connecting plane was delayed because of bad weather somewhere. The long waiting and having to go in and out of security each time for bathroom breaks or to get food or drink was maddening. That, added to the fact that there were often not enough seats behind security for everyone made one have to stand for long periods or sit on the floor. Yes, there are probably enough seats for waiting passengers, but many bring along their local family who drop them off and wait with them in the seating area. Thus, the lack of seating. Plus there were always lots of bags littering the floor that one had to navigate to walk. Very airstrip in feeling, and not major airport.

Locals always brag on how convenient the airport is for them getting in and out, but they forget the airport serves a wide, regional customer-base who don't find it so convenient or pleasant.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:31 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:05 pm60 days?
Where did you hear that

Educated guess hence the ?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pmEducated guess hence the ?
I guess the better question would've been; What makes you think that?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:42 pm Just had another poor experience at KCI. What a fricking embarrassment to the city, the new airport cannot be finished too soon. When leaving KC, we went to the airport early due to bad weather (rain and snow) and unwisely went through security early to the Alaskan Airlines gate. Restrooms and absolutely nothing else behind security except shitty cramped conditions - could not even buy water.
Nobody forced you to stay in the secured area by the gate. This airport isn't like others where you have a hectic central security area and are forced to take a 45 minute stroll after security to reach your gate. You are within 100 ft of the door you came into the airport from while at your gate. Security is at the gate. Feel free to get out of the gate area at any time to use the convenience features. It's not that hard to figure out.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 am
Highlander wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:42 pm Just had another poor experience at KCI. What a fricking embarrassment to the city, the new airport cannot be finished too soon. When leaving KC, we went to the airport early due to bad weather (rain and snow) and unwisely went through security early to the Alaskan Airlines gate. Restrooms and absolutely nothing else behind security except shitty cramped conditions - could not even buy water.
Nobody forced you to stay in the secured area by the gate. This airport isn't like others where you have a hectic central security area and are forced to take a 45 minute stroll after security to reach your gate. You are within 100 ft of the door you came into the airport from while at your gate. Security is at the gate. Feel free to get out of the gate area at any time to use the convenience features. It's not that hard to figure out.
:roll: :roll: :roll: Nobody should be forced to leave security to access basic amenities.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 am
The design of the airport sucks in no uncertain terms. People go through security because that's how every airport other than KCI is set up and you do not necessarily know what's inside the gate area before you go through security. Some gates have amenities, others don't. I wanted water for the 3 hour plus flight - and you cannot even take that through security. You are crazy if you think I'm going to leave the gate area and go through security again anyway. Practically nobody would do that nor should they have to.

And I've never taken anything close to a 45 minute stroll to reach a gate at any airport in the US and I've been to most.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 am You are crazy if you think I'm going to leave the gate area and go through security again anyway. Practically nobody would do that nor should they have to.
What are you dragging around that makes going through security a problem?

People do it all the time, without the slightest inconvenience. It's not hard. Raise your hands, walk through the body scanner, done.

Heck, you're even fortunate enough to have a security area right at your gate. Easy in, easy out. Try dealing with a massive, clogged central checkpoint at another airport. You can certainly complain about those all day long.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 am
Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 am You are crazy if you think I'm going to leave the gate area and go through security again anyway. Practically nobody would do that nor should they have to.

People do it all the time, without the slightest inconvenience. It's not hard. Raise your hands, walk through the body scanner, done.

Heck, you're even fortunate enough to have a security area right at your gate. Easy in, easy out. Try dealing with a massive, clogged central checkpoint at another airport. You can certainly complain about those all day long.
Have you not seen how many people have the largest possible rolling luggage they can as a carry on? The last time we flew through KCI the security at the gate was a clogged checkpoint that took forever to get through. We got through security for Hobby for every gate as quickly as at at KCI.

The central checkpoints don't provide this problem because you rarely need to go back through them. I can't think of why I would go back through security if I lived in Atlanta or Minneapolis unless I needed to go to my car again.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Are you trying to argue for the convenience of how KCI is currently laid out? You make it sound like grabbing your bags and leaving and reentering is a easy endevour. First, you’d have to wait in line to reenter. Take off your shoes. Get your laptop out. Take your belt off. Pull everything out of your pockets. Scoot four buckets along the conveyor. Go through and pack it all up again...Just to get access to a store with a magazine or gift item. That’s easily 20+ minutes. Your argument is nonsensical.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 am

Ahh... so it's the traveler's fault for taking too much stuff?

It's more difficult than it used to be to travel - especially if you don't have anyone with you to watch your things. The increased baggage handling fees combined with security changes make KCI extremely inconvenient for some travelers - more inconvenient than any other major airport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:01 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pmEducated guess hence the ?
I guess the better question would've been; What makes you think that?
Airline agreement seems to be forthcoming next week after the independent cost estimate came back in line....so all we are waiting for is the EA which was supposed to be done in December and now hearing the shutdown has also delayed that....without the shutdown I would have guessed this month....the latest estimate was December to get started which that estimate was published prior to the airline asking for an independent estimate and the EA delay
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 am You are within 100 ft of the door you came into the airport from while at your gate. Security is at the gate. Feel free to get out of the gate area at any time to use the convenience features. It's not that hard to figure out.
Southwest security from check in for luggage to gate 45 is approx 715 feet.

That's not bad, people park further than that at the City Market, but it's not 100 feet.

With luggage pickup being centralized and the resulting long distances to the garage entrances from most doors, I bet most people walk similar amounts to other airports.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There aren't any amenities outside security either is the most lol part of kull"s continuing defense of our trash airport.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That's not true, aren't the upstairs fast food joints in B still only accessible outside? Why you'd leave secured area for a whopper instead of settling for a janky taco at the no-longer-acessible-outside-security taco joint is beyond me, but maybe you have to also poop and don't want to deal with the bathroom conditions in the gate area?

I dunno, whatever. I'm so over it. Give me a new airport already.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Most people don't arrive early enough to even consider going back through.

If the line is 20 minutes and you arrive an hour before, you're boarding ~20-25 minutes in. You don't have an extra 20 minutes to go out and back in.

This is why it's a problem, because practically speaking you don't have the luxury of worrying about it, you go to the restroom inside security because a 10 minute wait is better.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

This is what I read today with regards to timing: The issue that continues to stir up a lot of conversation is the new single terminal at KCI . We recently got a look at the new renderings, but will a groundbreaking happen this month as Edgemoor promises?

The airlines are still disputing the nearly $2 billion cost, as well as who will pay for the baggage system. The city is waiting on the results of an environmental assessment before they can start demolishing Terminal A.

"As soon as we get the issues with the airlines, baggage claim and the FAA we can start swinging a sledgehammer at Terminal A," said Mayor Sly James.

Seems like they should go ahead and start the demolition of Terminal A as soon as the Environmental Impact Statement is complete as its removal is required for any of the outcomes of those issues still under dispute.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

That’s not going to happen. You can’t expect a company that’s been yanked around for the past year and a half to then spend $10s of millions at risk.