We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by dev49 »

As i suspected there was more than just a baggage issue going on. Now it looks like all the airlines aren't happy. I figured there was no way this entire holdup was just about baggage system. If Southwest is concerned then that means this thing won't go anywhere until they are happy. Nice job by the mayor denying there are issues with other airlines... Just be honest with us, that is all I ask. Like I said before, I don't mind delays if we get it right, but you have to be up front and tell us what is really going on.

James’ statement on Tuesday was spurred by two developments: One was a conference call with seven of the eight airlines in which they insisted upon reviewing the project costs with their own consultants. Another was a phone call the mayor had with Southwest Airlines chief executive Gary Kelly.

The conversation with Kelly, which James initially denied but Southwest confirmed, happened early in the week. James, through a spokeswoman, said the conversation was about cost sharing among airlines for a baggage handling system at the KCI terminal, a $20 million element in the project but a fraction of the overall cost.

Sources familiar with the conversation say Kelly also expressed reservations about the overall growing cost of the KCI project. The city had initially insisted that it was smaller low-cost carriers that objected to KCI’s increasing project cost, but the concern is shared among larger airlines, too.

“The fact we’re hearing the last three weeks that there’s a question about the number, that’s kind of taken us by surprise a little bit,” Aviation Department director Pat Klein said. “We knew the baggage handling system was out there, but we didn’t know there were concerns about the $1.64 (billion).”

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 26215.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

5 of the 8 said they would accept the current price if the independent consultant came back with the same cost....not seeing this as much of a problem.

Losing Allegiant and Spirit (they won't leave) wouldn't be much of a loss....they fly out of trash cities typically
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:49 pm 5 of the 8 said they would accept the current price if the independent consultant came back with the same cost....not seeing this as much of a problem.

Losing Allegiant and Spirit (they won't leave) wouldn't be much of a loss....they fly out of trash cities typically
IF they come back with the current price. We don't know they will. If they don't that just pushes things further. It all will get done eventually. I just get frustrated with the mayor and others asking like things are all hunky dory when they obviously aren't.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Who knew there was enough details of KC goings on in St. Louis to make their residents frustrated.

Glad to see such interest.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

So, hypothetically what if the independent consultants come back with a lower cost? What then? This is the second time an outside consultant has done this on this project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dev49 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:59 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:49 pm 5 of the 8 said they would accept the current price if the independent consultant came back with the same cost....not seeing this as much of a problem.

IF they come back with the current price. We don't know they will. If they don't that just pushes things further. It all will get done eventually. I just get frustrated with the mayor and others asking like things are all hunky dory when they obviously aren't.
This will be the second time an independent consultant reviews the budget. The first agreed with the Edgemoor price.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I know people are balking at the price of building the new airport terminal, but here's some perspective.

LaGuardia Haters May Have to Find a New Airport to Insult
LaGuardia Airport unveils a new look tomorrow as part of an $8 billion face-lift. Travelers will have to determine whether it’s still their favorite airport to insult.
$8 billion for a face-lift of an existing building, not a demolition and rebuilding of a new terminal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -to-insult
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I don't see how the price is really of any real concern....seems pretty inline.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

FangKC wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:38 pm I know people are balking at the price of building the new airport terminal, but here's some perspective.

LaGuardia Airport unveils a new look tomorrow as part of an $8 billion face-lift. Travelers will have to determine whether it’s still their favorite airport to insult.
$8 billion for a face-lift of an existing building, not a demolition and rebuilding of a new terminal.

Bloomberg referring to it only as a "facelift" might be a little misleading. It is a demolition and total rebuild of the central terminal (Terminal B), plus Delta also agreed to gut renovate its terminal (but I don't know if that's included in the $8B figure, as the Terminal B rebuild and the Delta work are two separate projects).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I just, I dunno.

I know government is messy, but a competent project manager should be able to control all this.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The new 37 gate LGA Delta terminal is slated at 4 billion. It's a teardown and rebuild that is supposed to open in 2020. Sounds like we are getting off cheap.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

They've been renovating Laguardia since Laguardia was mayor. Has anyone ever been there when it's not under construction?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

At LaGuardia, just because you see exposed wires hanging from the ceiling doesn't mean anybody is actually doing any construction
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

phuqueue wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am At LaGuardia, just because you see exposed wires hanging from the ceiling doesn't mean anybody is actually doing any construction
Exposed wire at Laguardia just means that portion of the airport is actually wired for electricity.

It's more the F1 Grand Prix course they have set up around the place that leads me to believe that they're doing construction.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:38 pm I know people are balking at the price of building the new airport terminal, but here's some perspective.

At the rate it's going, the new airport to insult will be KCI. The only reason that KCI isn't already the laughingstock of all airports is because not that many people have been there.

That said, La Gaurdia is a good analogy for what it cost to build a new terminal. While the airport is getting more than just a facelift as the article implies, the cost comparison to KCI is something to consider. LaGuardia has about 2.25X more flights per year than KCI according to 2017 stats. Their renovation will comprise of a tear down and rebuild of a new terminal and renovations to another. We will tear down one terminal and combine the functions of two existing terminals into a single terminal. The cost of LaGuardia's renovation is 8 billion relative to KCI's spend at 1.6 billion (or so) and the higher numbers quoted I believe include finance cost (which is a bit bogus). I'd like to see other comparisons but I do suspect that KCI's 1.6 billion price tag on a per flight basis would be at the extreme low end of the spending scale.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

A (Marine Air Terminal) is the only renovation 5 or 6 gates in a historic building. B has been torn down and the new terminal opened Sunday. C and D are being torn down and are being rebuilt. All three will be one terminal in the end.

https://www.amny.com/transit/laguardia- ... 1.12268455
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Updated airport renderings/animations

https://www.kci-edgemoor.com/design/
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Seems almost TOO simple of a design. I like all of the glass and the wood ceilings, but everything seems to much like an Apple Store. Still wish we could get the scalloped ceilings back.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Too bad that most prominent thing on the airport has to be the monolithic parking garage.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

We should change from city of fountains to city of monolithic parking garages and surface lots