We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by TheLastGentleman »

flyingember wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:47 am The bridge between the two concourses would be an interesting space for one.

Alternate windows and fountains running down the wall the entire length of it. Put LEDs behind the water that can be lit up to match what's going on downtown with lit up buildings.
Lighting in general would be a great way to connect the building to the rest of the city visually, similar to how the nelson lights up in festive colors despite not being downtown. I imagine it would be a fairly easy thing to implement
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How about water jets arcing over the moving sidewalks? Might give everyone the urge to pee putting all those new restrooms to heavy use.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

In their presentation they did admit that the fountain design wasn't practical in its placement because they need that space for people. They did however say they still plan to include a significant water feature to highlight KC's fountains. They have not yet come up with where or what that is.
Yes, the fountain design seemed impractical and overly costly from the beginning. Not surprised it was removed or redesigned.

Something as fundamental as the roof design, for the main terminal AND all gates, however, being totally removed (downgraded) with nary a reference in the presentation or review (that I have seen) is very frustrating.

SOM needs to come back with something significantly more impressive than these latest "conceptual renderings". However close to reality they may be, they are also the the most viewed story on KCBJ and have received prominent coverage in local media. I imagine most folks assume this is very close to what we are going to get, and it is certainly a major downgrade from initial renderings.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Welcome to the most depressing thread on the internet.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Concept design has been presented. Lol at anyone that thinks the design is going to significantly get “better” from this stage forward or that the cool roof is going to magically reappear. It’s called value engineering, and it’s just the beginning. What we’ve got here is a bargain basement terminal that was budget strapped from the get go that could be located at any mid-tier city in America. Congrats.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MidtownCat wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:43 am Concept design has been presented. Lol at anyone that thinks the design is going to significantly get “better” from this stage forward or that the cool roof is going to magically reappear. It’s called value engineering, and it’s just the beginning. What we’ve got here is a bargain basement terminal that was budget strapped from the get go that could be located at any mid-tier city in America. Congrats.
Hate hearing that but can't say I'm surprised. Price has been a constant chirp from the public so the airport committee isn't going to push for a bigger "wasteful" budget and no airline really cares to spend a buck more than they have to in this mid tier city..... Airport will work well for them and the flying public which I guess in the end is what matters
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

MidtownCat wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:43 am Concept design has been presented. Lol at anyone that thinks the design is going to significantly get “better” from this stage forward or that the cool roof is going to magically reappear. It’s called value engineering, and it’s just the beginning. What we’ve got here is a bargain basement terminal that was budget strapped from the get go that could be located at any mid-tier city in America. Congrats.
Kind of sucks that it probably won't have much of a wow factor, but it will still be 1000 times better than the current airport and probably one of the more modern or up to date terminals in the country. You don't want to get into a mess of spending too much, increasing landing fees too much or the airlines having to go to the city or airport authority for a bunch of extra money. I just hope they don't go too cheap.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ I think we traded money that could have been spent in stylistic changes for union and minority hiring funds. I’m fine with that. I’d rather have a more utilitarian looking airport and feel that all citizens received a benefit from the project.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 pm
im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm
rxlexi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am Almost impossible to tell from these poor initial renderings, but where is the awesome scallop-roof design from the preliminary images? I loved that element, and if we get a generic flat box I'll be very disappointed.

I understand perhaps losing the two-story indoor fountain, but first impression is this looks like a major downgrade from earlier images. We want something a "little" special, right? Will withhold further judgement until much higher quality images become available.
They're called conceptual renderings for a reason. They're 99.999% make believe. Making any personal opinions about a project and your backing of it off of those is reckless.
99.999% of the voting public doesn't know or understand that.
And pulling something like hurts voter confidence every time. Voter confidence in KC improvement projects is already poor most of the time, so this can only hurt future projects.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Take this whole thing back five years and you'll see me arguing that we probably shouldn't spend something like a billion dollars or more so that the airport / airlines can make more money. I was eventually persuaded that I was being silly and we really needed it.

Now I'm pretty sure I was more or less right from the start.

At least I'm still not regretting the streetcar yet.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mean wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:08 pm Take this whole thing back five years and you'll see me arguing that we probably shouldn't spend something like a billion dollars or more so that the airport / airlines can make more money. I was eventually persuaded that I was being silly and we really needed it.

Now I'm pretty sure I was more or less right.
Is this post a joke? Did you forget the “\s” ?

Do you really not think we need a new facility? And do you really have a problem with the airlines paying for it?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just went through Charlotte and their 11 foot drop ceilings.... I retract hating the flat value engineered design we saw last week.... I mean I'd still prefer the cooler roof but either will be a huge upgrade.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm The original KCI ended up looking exactly what they went to voters with.
It's not 1972 anymore... Today's companies care about landing big contracts and large profit margins first and foremost.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

im2kull wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 am
moderne wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm The original KCI ended up looking exactly what they went to voters with.
It's not 1972 anymore... Today's companies care about landing big contracts and large profit margins first and foremost.
Companies didn't care about landing big contracts and large profit margins first and foremost in 1972? Interesting.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The faa predictably bounced some of the community funding. Council still wants their slush fund paid.

Expect even more to come out of the design.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

This is going to be a very, very generic airport. Better to put aside any expectations now, and just know we're getting the cheapest thing possible.

The city fucked this up so bad. They should be running this project and issuing the bonds.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They do issue the bonds.

Nothing like declaring the project a failure before dirt is turned.... I love you kcrag.com
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:05 am The faa predictably bounced some of the community funding. Council still wants their slush fund paid.

Expect even more to come out of the design.
Why?

The (predictable) fact that airport revenues can't be used for non-airport related construction activity actually means more of the money WILL go towards the airport and its design instead of things like east side housing rehab (which is what the faa rejected). See below for full list of rejected activity. None of it was design related. This actually frees up money for design.
But the agency disallowed as “revenue diversions” other major benefits, such as an $8.9 million workforce training program for low-income workers, including former offenders; a $1 million contribution to the Shared Success Fund, a city initiative providing gap financing to attract developers; and $1.25 million to Love Thy Neighbor, a privately funded volunteer program to help senior citizens with home renovations.

The FAA also rejected the use of airport revenues for $1.5 million in assistance to the Northland, including housing, economic development and mental health needs.
Edgemoor (or the city) will have to come up with alternative sources for those programs if they want them to go forward.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am This is going to be a very, very generic airport. Better to put aside any expectations now, and just know we're getting the cheapest thing possible.

The city fucked this up so bad. They should be running this project and issuing the bonds.
Even if its fucked we can always say at least were not Berlin Brandenburg Airport, the airport is still under construction and most likely never open
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am This is going to be a very, very generic airport. Better to put aside any expectations now, and just know we're getting the cheapest thing possible.

You mean versus the status quo which is to give people expectations that can't be met under the budget given and then costs skyrocket and despite every major public project being the same way people express surprise and disgust at the cost overages?