We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by horizons82 »

There's nothing in those renderings that raise alarm to me. It's just done by a less-than-artistic designer. Objects are placed unrealistically far apart, camera angle set too wide, etc...They're using the same general layout that all the other firms utilized.

Plus, airlines are typically involved in furnishing their respective gate areas. Hence Southwest having the overstuffed chairs at many airports. SW isn't going to let them build a too narrow concourse.

They really need to do a basic footpath map or chart of how many steps the average KCI customer currently does, vs what they'll do here. That still seems to be the #1 concern online.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

The #1 concern I’ve heard from people is what security will be like. Most people’s biggest fear is that security will be a disaster like a major city airport (I.e. Atlanta, LAX, O’Hare, etc.). They really need to give people an idea of what to expect with security. If not, people will assume the worst.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Teresa Loar concerned that the last gate is 50% further than the current configuration, but SOM says that distance will be made shorter with a 600-foot moving walkway.

http://kcur.org/post/heres-what-new-sin ... e#stream/0
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

:roll: I'm getting really tired of people complaining About walking. The moving walkway seems expensive and unnecessary I remember when I worked at a gym and people would literally drive around a parking lot for fifteen minutes to try to find the closest space. On one hand I get it build for your customers. On the other hand holy fuck Americans have gotten lazy
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I literally ran a half mile through O’Hare a month ago. It’s beyond comical to me that Kansas Citians would throw a fit that walking a 100-500 steps is inconvenient. This is the same group that will walk a half mile plus to park at Kauffman Stadium and not think anything of it because they can see the stadium they’re walking to.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I swear that half the reason people think KCI terminals are short is because the curve won’t let you see from one end to the other.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I hope to god this airport gets approved and we never speak of it ever again.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this says it all to me...from Justin Meyer

Steps Curb-Counter-Security-Gate
CURRENT lo 119 hi 411
CONCEPT lo 168 hi 544

It's such a dumb insignificant point to worry about...but when you consider getting from the ground transportation, there is a good chance the new terminal will be less steps.

People are forgetting how much side to side movement they have to make at new KCI....you may see the plane right when you walk in, but you aren't walking directly to that plane.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote:I hope to god this airport gets approved and we never speak of it ever again.
“Expansion”
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCFan wrote:I literally ran a half mile through O’Hare a month ago. It’s beyond comical to me that Kansas Citians would throw a fit that walking a 100-500 steps is inconvenient. This is the same group that will walk a half mile plus to park at Kauffman Stadium and not think anything of it because they can see the stadium they’re walking to.
I look at airports as a chance to ramp up my steps on the fitbit. I am usually pretty disappointed by how few steps I get. Landing at Amsterdam and going to the Middle East gates was always good for a 1000 or so. Not so lucky in the US. I usually don't break 1000 in any airport.

I don't see the problem with walking either. It would do 100% of us good to walk more.

While I am amused at the comments regarding the new terminal, they also deeply depress me. They make KC sound like some insular bumpkin paradise with an entire population suffering from obesity and arthritis.
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

just a reminder you can vote absentee right now for new KCI
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I worry about the new terminal is like a wall and really reduces my views of the planes from a distance. I also feel like the glass quality could be better. I personally think a nice black tented glass would enhance the look and provide a contrast with surrounding concrete runways and green fields.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

ldai_phs wrote:I worry about the new terminal is like a wall and really reduces my views of the planes from a distance. I also feel like the glass quality could be better. I personally think a nice black tented glass would enhance the look and provide a contrast with surrounding concrete runways and green fields.
We need to protect the northland skyline.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Riverite wrote:Check out Edgemoor’s design for the KCI single terminal
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 23371.html

Looks good
They're called conceptual images for a reason.

I'll put $100 on it right now that if this passes, the final product will look NOTHING like these images. Reality.

Point in case:
Fountains, loads of fountains were promised with that too. How many did we get again?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:I hope to god this airport gets approved and we never speak of it ever again.
“Expansion”
Terminal 2 won't build itself
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

im2kull wrote:
Riverite wrote:Check out Edgemoor’s design for the KCI single terminal
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 23371.html

Looks good
They're called conceptual images for a reason.

I'll put $100 on it right now that if this passes, the final product will look NOTHING like these images. Reality.

Point in case:
Fountains, loads of fountains were promised with that too. How many did we get again?
Ooh, I see something to add to unbuilt kc
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Watched Ruckus on the airport. Host asked Steve Rose about the possibility of airport going to Kansas. Steve Rose asked incoming Kansas Governor about possibility of airport in Kansas (just 3 weeks ago) and he said he wouldn't comment on it during the campaign, which basically he's saying that he doesn't want threat of airport going to Kansas used as a wedge to help the issue pass. Obviously he's wanting the ballot issue to fail on its own so Kansas has a crack to try to get an airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfuLJzS ... e=youtu.be
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCFan wrote:Watched Ruckus on the airport. Host asked Steve Rose about the possibility of airport going to Kansas. Steve Rose asked incoming Kansas Governor about possibility of airport in Kansas (just 3 weeks ago) and he said he wouldn't comment on it during the campaign, which basically he's saying that he doesn't want threat of airport going to Kansas used as a wedge to help the issue pass. Obviously he's wanting the ballot issue to fail on its own so Kansas has a crack to try to get an airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfuLJzS ... e=youtu.be
"no comment" could also mean they know Kansas has no chance to build an airport in the next 20 years and it isn't something to even entertain.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

He didn't just say no comment. Said it wasn't appropriate to comment on during the campaign. If Kansas didn't think there was a play to make for the airport, he would've said it's dead or not going anywhere vs. I'm not going to comment during the airport campaign.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Unless they realize they have no shot, but want to make it seem like they do so that the airport will pass. It will be beneficial to the entire region after all. That would require Kansas doing something for the public good.......okay nevermind