We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

How many other airports have a huge collection of luggage spilling into the entrance?
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I thought some would find this Saturday picture from Justin Meyer interesting. The line is back further than you can even see. The luggage check is almost completely blocking the walk way.

https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/statu ... 2143692800
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:The honest answer is airline mergers, more security, and increased traffic have exacerbated the fundamental flaws in kci design trying to support modern day air travel.
I mean, basically this. The design is fundamentally flawed for modern air travel. There's nothing that can be done other than...build a new airport. It happens - infrastructure doesn't last forever and the world changes. It's a bitch, I know.

And like, is the argument really about how far people have to walk? Can we all just take a moment of silence to reflect on how absurdly stupid that is?

If the council had shown an ounce of strength, this would be done by now. But they have the political spine of some nice al dente pasta so on we go.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The airport is operated by the city. The city would have to issue revenue bonds to build the airport. In order to issue revenue bonds there has to be a public vote to put the city into debt. Right now there isn't sufficient support to build a new facility.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Revenue bonds don't have to be voted on I thought? Only GO bonds

I was wrong...Missouri requires vote on revenue bonds...there are exceptions like port authority (where the airport should be anyways)

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/chapt ... xt068.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"port authority (where the airport should be anyways)"

Agreed.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

The Port Authority should just issue the bonds for a new airport south of KCI and give a big middle finger to the city and city council.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:The Port Authority should just issue the bonds for a new airport south of KCI and give a big middle finger to the city and city council.
So build the south terminal plan already studied? Not the worst idea ever.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Yup exactly
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

Look, I'm sorry and for what it's worth I don't live in KC. I do fly there from time to time. I have come to the conclusion that for whatever reason this issue has become unreal. Silly. Stupid. So what if you can walk from your car to the gate in a short distance? As shown in the picture a few posts up you'll have to wait if you need to check bags. The airport is and has been for a long time unworkable in today's society. I fly to dozens of airports yearly and this situation has to rival any other bad airport. I flew to Laguardia a month ago & even that airport, and it does suck, makes the experience more tolerable. Why on earth hasn't whoever begun construction on a new terminal? How long is this layout going to live? It really makes KC look backwards and backwater. Indy, Columbus, Austin, hell, even Oklahoma City all have better terminals and while people have to walk however much farther from gate to car they seem to survive.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

SingleMalt12 wrote:Look, I'm sorry and for what it's worth I don't live in KC. I do fly there from time to time. I have come to the conclusion that for whatever reason this issue has become unreal. Silly. Stupid. So what if you can walk from your car to the gate in a short distance? As shown in the picture a few posts up you'll have to wait if you need to check bags. The airport is and has been for a long time unworkable in today's society. I fly to dozens of airports yearly and this situation has to rival any other bad airport. I flew to Laguardia a month ago & even that airport, and it does suck, makes the experience more tolerable. Why on earth hasn't whoever begun construction on a new terminal? How long is this layout going to live? It really makes KC look backwards and backwater. Indy, Columbus, Austin, hell, even Oklahoma City all have better terminals and while people have to walk however much farther from gate to car they seem to survive.
When its busy in the terminal part I feel like these people riding the train in India have it better off :lol:

Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

This really should not be something to be voted on. Don't we elect people to handle this?

KCI is a horrible airport. It can easily be replaced for a responsible amount of money that will make it a better experience for all. Just do it. Why are we even talking about this still? The people against it are just wrong.
Bingo.

Can't see how anyone who flies often can be in favor of keeping MCI. It's dreary, outdated, is frequently overwhelmed (yes, I typically check a bag and depart at the busiest times at the one airline everyone flies out of MCI, Southwest) and has few, if any, redeeming qualities as compared to peer airports. And I park in the garage right across from Terminal B, and make the short walk over. It's so overrated relative to the rest of the experience.

Mostly, even if MCI was exceptionally convenient, if you travel at all don't you see a terminal like Love in Dallas or IIA in Indy and think "why aren't we doing something like this"?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

rxlexi wrote:
This really should not be something to be voted on. Don't we elect people to handle this?

KCI is a horrible airport. It can easily be replaced for a responsible amount of money that will make it a better experience for all. Just do it. Why are we even talking about this still? The people against it are just wrong.
Bingo.

Can't see how anyone who flies often can be in favor of keeping MCI. It's dreary, outdated, is frequently overwhelmed (yes, I typically check a bag and depart at the busiest times at the one airline everyone flies out of MCI, Southwest) and has few, if any, redeeming qualities as compared to peer airports. And I park in the garage right across from Terminal B, and make the short walk over. It's so overrated relative to the rest of the experience.

Mostly, even if MCI was exceptionally convenient, if you travel at all don't you see a terminal like Love in Dallas or IIA in Indy and think "why aren't we doing something like this"?
=D>
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

hartliss wrote:
rxlexi wrote:

Bingo.

=D>
I travel 150+ days of the year and experience airports all over the country. MCI is by far the worst airport of any modern city in America, and it's not even really close.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

MidtownCat wrote:
hartliss wrote:
rxlexi wrote:
Bingo.

=D>
I travel 150+ days of the year and experience airports all over the country. MCI is by far the worst airport of any modern city in America, and it's not even really close.
Please share your input with the savekci.org crew...they seem to think otherwise :)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Their minds are made up, you're not going to convince them of anything. I can kind of sympathize, but I'm at least capable of changing my mind.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I pick up business associates almost weekly, some comment every time. "I can't believe/forgot how small your airport is"!
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Here we go again on the city's airport push: Neighborhood listening sessions starting on KCI airport's future
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I have a question: how hard would it be to do this through the port authority instead? Doesn't that make more sense than the way we run things now?

Also, those listening sessions sound like my version of hell. Maybe I'll schedule one and they show up and it'll just be wine and therapy puppies to play with. Those poor people.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I really wish I had asked Jolie Justus that when she was at the Downtown Neighborhood Association meeting last month; she mentioned that if the GO bonds passed, the city would start working on the airport again.