Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote:
Highlander wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:Missouri could undercut any Kansas airport in one day. The state would have to issue the bonds and even then...

One of the main points the recent proposals made was that kci has runway infrastructure that other cities would beg for. A Kansas airport is a pipedream.
A second airport is not that much of a pipe dream. Kansas has pursued using New Century in Olathe for commercial flights before (they made a fairly concerted push in the late 80's) but could never get an airline to sign on. New Century is the formal Olathe Naval Air Station and has runways that can handle large commercial jets. New Century's long runway can handle 737's in both wet and dry conditions - that's the largest jet that currently flies into KCI.

Kansas isn't going to replace KCI but the idea of a second competing airport isn't as far fetched as people think it is. All they need is an airline to agree and FAA approval. They certainly have the nearby customer base that would more than welcome it. If a new terminal is voted down by Kansas City, I believe this could and probably will happen at some point in the not too distant future.
Please don't comment on things you have no professional experience with. Please. Suggesting new century is a laughable idea. I'll leave it at that.
Give me a break. Johnson County aggressively pursued bringing commercial flights into New Century in the 80's and came damn close to pulling it off. They were not trying to supplant KCI, but they were absolutely trying to secure regularly scheduled commercial flights. The runways are long enough to handle the vast majority of flights that come into KCI. The airport presently doesn't have the complete infrastructure to handle commercial flights nor did it in the 80's but that is not an insurmountable problem. Let's be perfectly honest hear, Kansas has the political will to do this. They certainly have a nearby market and it's not a stretch to think that an airline, either one present now at KCI or one entering the market, may view a Johnson County airport as a competitive advantage over KCI and the airlines that are entrenched there.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote:^ The speedway and a few $m fir Union Station- Kansas’ only civic contribution to making this city better.
They don't want to make the KC better. They want to make Johnson County better. They will have an interest.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Anybody know how many commercial flights that St. Louis area airport in Illinois have on an average day?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

none..... I don't think they even have daily flights

Update. They Average about 6/10ths a commercial flight a day(or just 4 per week). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdzWhd459_A
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

ldai_phs wrote:none..... I don't think they even have daily flights

Update. They Average about 6/10ths a commercial flight a day(or just 4 per week). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdzWhd459_A
i think it's more than that, now.

direct flights from the airport website:

SANFORD/ORLANDO (SFB)

TAMPA BAY/ST. PETE (PIE)

LAS VEGAS (LAS)

FT. MYERS/PUNTA GORDA (PGD)

DESTIN/FT. WALTON BEACH (VPS)

JACKSONVILLE (JAX)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (MYR)

FT. LAUDERDALE, FL (FLL)

PHOENIX/MESA, AZ (AZA)(STARTING NOVEMBER 2017)
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

it's basically an airport for cheap flights to the sunbelt (plus cargo) for illinois retirees and college kids from what i can tell. 157,000 passengers in 2016.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That's all Allegiant. It basically shows how realistic it is for a small airport in JoCo to gain an airline that crosses the whole country. It happened in St. Louis, they're not based out of Lambert too.

Between Denver, Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta they serve at least 20 small towns that KCI has zero direct flights to today like Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Des Moines.

I keep thinking the airport in Kansas has to be big to have an impact, but all it needs to do is start with one airline to have an impact. Imagine Kansas having all those flights.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i think the illinois airport (mid america not the downtown airport) is really a quirk of pork belly type spending and the air force base connected to it. i don't think there was ever really a need for it, myself, except maybe when STL was a hub.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Teresa Loar and Dan Coffey giving presentations about the new airport. Calling the new airport more dangerous, a bad deal, and pushing a renovation.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

“The new airport’s reduced gate numbers is a scheme to reduce competition”
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Renovation is being pushed hard. The higher cost and longer timeline are not mentioned.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

what is going on here?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:what is going on here?
I was at a presentation by Teresa Loar and Dan Coffey about the New Terminal. A lot of misinformation from mainly Dan about why we shouldn't support a new terminal.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Where was the presentation?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

like today? wtf....
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

swid wrote:Local news is the worst:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/36609995/con ... grave-site
Hoffa?

KC Star has another article today about the airport. Very negative. Features Cofran. I don't understand why the Star seeks him out on these issues, the CFRG organization probably doesn't have 20 people in it - if that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote:Where was the presentation?
South Platte YMCA.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I wonder if they could get HR Block and Marriot to display Pro New Terminal Messages.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my company sent out a "don't forget to vote" thing and talked about the advantages the airport gives us today. Smart move to get the corporate citizens nudging people....

I think the thing is there is nothing else on the ballot. The pro airport people are way more likely than the negative ones as I think the negative ones may not like it but get that the writing is on the wall.