We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote:So while we are on the subject, what is the status of the new terminal at KCI right now? When is the earliest construction can start? Is the council done being duplicitous or is there something still to be decided? This thing needs to get on some kind of a fast track schedule.
Core drilling are going in rn. I don't think the council has anything left to do, besides receiving quarterly updates. Construction is on track to be completed by the original 2021 date. Construction can not start till FAA and E
PA studies are complete.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

We still need a final developer agreement. And they have to close financing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:We still need a final developer agreement. And they have to close financing.
Yes. I forgot those :/.
A firm price will be set once the airport is about 30% designed.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Is there an ETA for detailed plans/renderings? Aside from the fanciful images that have been release so far.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If detailed means everything including interiors(stores, art, etc), this should be decided on and designed in 2019, 2020 at the latest.
The general overall design will be needed to get the price from the constructors. Only 30% of the design is needed for that.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

ldai_phs wrote:If detailed means everything including interiors(stores, art, etc), this should be decided on and designed in 2019, 2020 at the latest.
The general overall design will be needed to get the price from the constructors. Only 30% of the design is needed for that.
I think what most people mean is "we want more renderings". I think we should hear more about the final design by fall?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

September 2018 is a big checkpoint. Financing and development agreement and airline use agreement should be done by then.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Right. I don't need blueprints showing how many urinals will be installed in each bathroom, I just want a better idea of what it will actually look like versus the vague renderings that are available now. I'd also like a better idea of exactly how it will be expandable in the future.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

How confident are we that environmental isn't going to be a mess? I'll feel better about a timeline when we pass the EPA stage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Clarkson Construction will have boots on the ground at the airport as early as the fall of 2018.
http://northeastnews.net/pages/meeting- ... n-company/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There's a construction time chart up on edgemoors faq website too.

I think fall is a reasonable time to expect fairly finished details on what we're getting.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sani wrote:Right. I don't need blueprints showing how many urinals will be installed in each bathroom, I just want a better idea of what it will actually look like versus the vague renderings that are available now. I'd also like a better idea of exactly how it will be expandable in the future.
I do. I do.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Better be autoflush toilets. We don't want to live with what a complete, and unmitigated, disaster Sprint Center has been&
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol remember the rage that brought. Good times.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; brief article in the kansas city business journal about very basic/initial work being done at KCI to prep for eventual construction of the new airport. Can't wait for them to release the final designs.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tarts.html
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

I just really think that we won't get this off the ground (a hole in the ground) until late this year or early next. It is March now. In addition, they will also need to demolish some areas to begin building first. I see us opening the new terminal in 2022 or 2023. But I hope I am wrong.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

STLguy1 wrote:I just really think that we won't get this off the ground (a hole in the ground) until late this year or early next. It is March now. In addition, they will also need to demolish some areas to begin building first. I see us opening the new terminal in 2022 or 2023. But I hope I am wrong.
Late Summer is the current goal to start demo. and is likely do able. I heard that there was some sort of renovation a while back that removed/addressed a lot of potential environmental issues. I don’t think the city fiasco really delayed this process much. If actual building up starts late this year, that still leaves 3 years Construction time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

STLguy1 wrote:I just really think that we won't get this off the ground (a hole in the ground) until late this year or early next. It is March now. In addition, they will also need to demolish some areas to begin building first. I see us opening the new terminal in 2022 or 2023. But I hope I am wrong.
Lol just stop.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:
Lol just stop.
But what about the goblins? After all, goblins love abandoned buildings and watching airplanes. We must find a new home for all the goblin families before we tear the terminal down.

That alone is to delay things so it can't open until 2022 or 2023 at the earliest. It takes time to find a quality goblin home. Can't have them moving into a respectful neighborhood.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

Late Summer is the current goal to start demo. and is likely do able. I heard that there was some sort of renovation a while back that removed/addressed a lot of potential environmental issues. I don’t think the city fiasco really delayed this process much. If actual building up starts late this year, that still leaves 3 years Construction time.
Late Summer would be great but it was suppose to break ground Fall 2018 according to these articles in Nov:
http://fox4kc.com/2017/11/08/city-leade ... i-project/
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 55056.html

That was before the fiasco - and I have not heard anything official more than that.

According to this article in February, this is the timeline - if every month stays on track... (Fall start date):
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 34529.html

The new airport can't get online soon enough.