We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by Sani »

I like how the background on page 1-5 of the Final Environmental Assessment is essentially lifted entirely from Wikipedia.
TWA vetoed concepts to model the airport on Washington Dulles International Airport and Tampa International Airport, because those two airports had people movers which it deemed too expensive. TWA insisted on "Drive to Your Gate" with flight gates 75 feet (23 m) from the roadway (signs along the roadway showed the flights leaving each gate
(from Wikipedia)
Remind me to go back in time and shake the TWA executives who thought people movers were too expensive. "Just build it exactly like Tampa! Trust me, just spend the money now, IT WILL BE WORTH IT"
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

moderne wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm Pittsburgh to build new $1.1 billion terminal with spectacular hilly roof.
It looks like a barn you would have some rodeo in to me. I like the KCI plans better.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dev49 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:35 pm
moderne wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm Pittsburgh to build new $1.1 billion terminal with spectacular hilly roof.
It looks like a barn you would have some rodeo in to me. I like the KCI plans better.
They released concept designs. This is the same point as our design pre-election. They don't even have a budget yet and we know what that means.

\https://triblive.com/news/pittsburgh-al ... -terminal/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

From the EA 3-27. I didn't remember a 1000 acre development being announced north of the airport

Go read the comments on document page 558.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New Terminal B external baggage handling system is going in per KCAD Twitter.
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is the TSA only entrance and premium secret Starbucks remaining?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

7 airlines - 95.5% of KCI landed weight, have agreed to the New KCI Term sheet. Everything is in place for a full council vote tomorrow.

At 1PM, council will discuss the development agreement at Business Session on City Hall floor 10. At 3pm in the main council chamber, the council will vote on the development agreement with the full council.

Please make your voice and support seen/heard tomorrow. Most of the council members against the project or Edgemoor do not sit on the aviation committee. This means that tomorrow is the first time and last time they will be able to put up significant resistance.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Who should be contacted?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:44 pm Who should be contacted?
your two council reps
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's not be so naive here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:01 pm Let's not be so naive here.
Having supporters at both meetings would also help.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is off topic but I don't get this request. Someone sitting in the audience doesn't give an indication of pro or con. Additionally if people being physical present is so critical to our democratic process then meetings wouldn't be held when most of us are working.

Sorry kind of s rant but I just don't get when this is requested. I don't vote for people to represent me so that I have to show up to meetings to again show my opinion of s topic. It's not reasonable for most citizens to expect that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I don’t expect people to show up. However, it appeared that you didn’t think contacting your representative would do much (very reasonable). Attending the actual meeting is the only other way to show your support.

On the topic of asking people to show up in general... The small groups of people passionate about an issue ,who show up to meetings, are usually the ones who drive the outcome.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ahh okay. My point was contacting only my two council people isn't really changing anything. The entire council represents the city and impacts this decision. Citizens contacting anybody on the council opposing this city wide decision is valid. You seemed to indicate you knew who those standing in the way are, that's why I asked who should be contacted.

On the second comment, guess it depends on the topic and where we are in the process. Even then, sure squeaky wheel gets the grease but just because I can't physical be there to make some comment doesn't mean my voice shouldn't be heard and not really material to this discussion so save all that for another day.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:42 pm Ahh okay. My point was contacting only my two council people isn't really changing anything. The entire council represents the city and impacts this decision. Citizens contacting anybody on the council opposing this city wide decision is valid. You seemed to indicate you knew who those standing in the way are, that's why I asked who should be contacted.

On the second comment, guess it depends on the topic and where we are in the process. Even then, sure squeaky wheel gets the grease but just because I can't physical be there to make some comment doesn't mean my voice shouldn't be heard and not really material to this discussion so save all that for another day.
The general consensus is that the vote will be split along the same lines as the MOU vote.

Yes Votes: Justus, James, Reed, Lucas, Fowler, Shields, McManus, Canady
No Votes: Loar, Hall, Barnes, Taylor, Wagner.

Of those opposed, Loar is the only one who sits on the airport committee.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks. Sorry about the rant
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Council is running over an hour behind. Legislative session just started.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Jermaine Reed is in love with his own voice. So. Much. Talking.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

11-1, passes. Loar was out of town, probably running away. I swear, I'm going to run against her one of these days.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:40 pm 11-1, passes. Loar was out of town, probably running away. I swear, I'm going to run against her one of these days.
The lone no vote?