Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by TheLastGentleman »

All of those look cool, even the SOM one
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

MidtownCat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:00 pm Refreshing to see a city that gets it and ultimately is going to prioritize great design and visitor experience.
https://voteord21.flychicago.com/vision ... fault.aspx
It isn't that KC doesn't get it. It is that O'hare will be pulling more pax and higher paying pax through their new terminal than we could ever hope for. Just like in Kansas City, the airlines will be paying for the new O'Hare terminal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean come on, ORD has two huge hub airlines investing in the airport for their own benefit, of course there is going to be more money there...apples and oranges.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

MidtownCat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:00 pm So while we bumble around and ultimately will settle for a second rate piece of crap that looks like it belongs in Oklahoma City, Chicago is going to do their new terminal right.

Refreshing to see a city that gets it and ultimately is going to prioritize great design and visitor experience.

If OKC needed a new terminal, they would go all out. The city generally sucks, but they try hard as hell to make it better when they do have infrastructure projects. Their airport is currently a hundred times better than KCI though.

The big difference between KC and Chicago (and every other city) is people are fine, if not excited about an improved airport. There is no bizarre love for a shitty old dated terminal like KC has for KCI. KC has a very odd emotional attachment to KCI and there are a lot of people that are enjoying watching the process to get a new terminal stumble.

But yeah, the new terminal looks like a re-purposed big box retail store. It's probably the worst major airport terminal design I have ever seen. I hope it gets better. Anything is better than KCI now, but jeez. Can they at least try to make it architecturally interesting?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 am
MidtownCat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:00 pm So while we bumble around and ultimately will settle for a second rate piece of crap that looks like it belongs in Oklahoma City, Chicago is going to do their new terminal right.

Refreshing to see a city that gets it and ultimately is going to prioritize great design and visitor experience.

If There is no bizarre love for a shitty old dated terminal like KC has for KCI. KC has a very odd emotional attachment to KCI and there are a lot of people that are enjoying watching the process to get a new terminal stumble.
The election showed that those that have some kind of emotional attachment to KCI are a pretty small minority. A vocal minority but a rather small one. The emotional attachment probably lives stronger in older folk who remember that KCI earned a lot of accolades when it first opened. Some people never seem to move on from the past.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not many really have any attachment to kci. They just have this weird ignorant impression that the only other option is to build an ATL sized airport.

Shocking people don't like change
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:49 am

If There is no bizarre love for a shitty old dated terminal like KC has for KCI. KC has a very odd emotional attachment to KCI and there are a lot of people that are enjoying watching the process to get a new terminal stumble.
The election showed that those that have some kind of emotional attachment to KCI are a pretty small minority. A vocal minority but a rather small one. The emotional attachment probably lives stronger in older folk who remember that KCI earned a lot of accolades when it first opened. Some people never seem to move on from the past.
Maybe that's it. But they sure are loud about it. And just about everybody I know back home likes KCI the way it is. I would say some have come around the last few years and are now more open to changing it, but most still think KCI is great.

KCI is absolutely one of the worst major airports in the country. I just had to type that. It feels good :). So even though the new terminal looks like it used to be a walmart, it will still be 1000 times better than the current situation.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

People will forget about the old terminal within 5 minutes of being in the new one.

JUST not having dropoff and pickup intermingled will do it.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

GRID wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:12 pm
Highlander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:49 am

Maybe that's it. But they sure are loud about it. And just about everybody I know back home likes KCI the way it is. I would say some have come around the last few years and are now more open to changing it, but most still think KCI is great.

KCI is absolutely one of the worst major airports in the country. I just had to type that. It feels good :). So even though the new terminal looks like it used to be a walmart, it will still be 1000 times better than the current situation.
the whole "BUT KCI IS CONVENIENT" thing has always confounded me. i once ran out of gas making the trek to KCI left to walk forlorn alongside of a windswept prairie highway...i live like 8 minutes from the long term garage i use for lambert, now, and am always straight through security and to the schlafly bar (or whatever) like it's nothing. i don't exactly have KCI pangs.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was at kci the other day, arriving late. Three planes got in at the same time ish. Kci just can't handle it. It was a disaster.

The airport is a mess.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Upstairs food court in B is closed. Don't know how long that's been going on.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; additional renderings of the new kci.

https://www.kcur.org/post/federal-shutd ... s#stream/0
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

LCDSI wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:58 pm fyi; additional renderings of the new kci.

https://www.kcur.org/post/federal-shutd ... s#stream/0
I’m pretty sure those are just pictures of CDG and EWR. KCUR needs to correct their article.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Glad to hear that they're reusing some of the flooring.

But yeah, the two other images in that article are definitely existing airports, which is a bummer because they look really nice
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

CDG may look nice, but it's just short of Franz Kafka International Airport in convenience, ease-of-use, and customer service.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Airport and transportation committee meeting has been combined and moved to KCI?!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:30 pm Airport and transportation committee meeting has been combined and moved to KCI?!
But what does it mean.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Field trip!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It means they're looking for things to do since they have nothing to talk about yet because the government has been shut down for a month.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sounds like airlines are very close and then we just twiddle our thumbs for the FAA to finish the EA and hope there aren't a lot of restrictions within it?