We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by bobbyhawks »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 am
WSPanic wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 am New renderings...

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/of ... i-terminal
Convenience factor will go way up with that giant garage allowing more people to park close.
What will be the difference in total spaces from the currently available B and C near-terminal parking?

My guess is people will not like the new pick-up and drop-off situation since it will be more difficult to circle around and around. Also, from the renderings it looks like another airport with a seating deficiency, which contributes to the feeling of being packed into an airport that makes people unhappy. I'm guessing you need like 1.5-2x the seats per gate as there are potential passengers to make people feel comfortable.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:49 am

Convenience factor will go way up with that giant garage allowing more people to park close.
What will be the difference in total spaces from the currently available B and C near-terminal parking?

My guess is people will not like the new pick-up and drop-off situation since it will be more difficult to circle around and around. Also, from the renderings it looks like another airport with a seating deficiency, which contributes to the feeling of being packed into an airport that makes people unhappy. I'm guessing you need like 1.5-2x the seats per gate as there are potential passengers to make people feel comfortable.
I feel like cell phones and designated "waiting areas" for cars picking people up have solved this particular issue enough - at least to the point I won't pay too much attention to them.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’ve always been more concerned with the concourse depth than I was about the number of gates. If you’re going to expand amenities in the future and if the passenger numbers grow, you need that space to build out. You would think this would have been learned after our current airport is such a prime example of this deficiency.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

IIRC, the New Terminal will have 2k+ additional spaces in the garage plus a few surface lots
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am
My guess is people will not like the new pick-up and drop-off situation since it will be more difficult to circle around and around.
I feel like cell phones and designated "waiting areas" for cars picking people up have solved this particular issue enough - at least to the point I won't pay too much attention to them.
Too many people don't use the waiting areas. Last time I was at the airport it was 11:30 pm and private vehicles were stacked three deep with about a third waiting at the same door for Southwest with no one getting in.

One thing I would love to see is a hierarchy change. Have two lanes of pavement for all kinds of high capacity vehicles (10+) only that's right at the curb, and actually have enforcement of this. Move car dropoff further out and have a sidewalk with a barrier to funnel everyone to crosswalks that line up with the entry doors. The busses wouldn't have to stop 15 times for every car pulling out in front of them.

Versus today where cars and busses mix and cars and shuttle vans mix which serves no one well.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 pm I’ve always been more concerned with the concourse depth than I was about the number of gates. If you’re going to expand amenities in the future and if the passenger numbers grow, you need that space to build out. You would think this would have been learned after our current airport is such a prime example of this deficiency.
The total depth of each concourse was always going to be limited because everything needs to fit inside the taxiways

There's plenty of space to expand though. Look at ohare. They could basically take that model of having a a single common pre-security ring area that's all connected and you can pass through any security area and end up inside a connected post security ring that has different concourse arms off of it.

The biggest thing that could be done to futureproof the airport isn't the size but to have a baggage system that is airline agnostic with built-in storage space and routing. Let the computer handle the work where the conveyor belts reach all the way to where they could feed each plane so there's no manual sorting. This would allow super friendly things like if you have a transfer it knows this. If you make it on your next plane last minute it knows which bag are yours and could accelerate them through the system so they make the plane too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

joshmv wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:54 pm A few More renderings here...

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=83312471
The timeline is useful. They expect to start demolition within about 4 months and begin construction in about 5. Based on the words foundation and structural later in 2019 this is probably the type of work like utility re-routing.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 05495.html

"The council also learned that the new terminal will not have a fountain, as earlier renderings showed, due to installation issues."
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

"installation issues" lol
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

also, wtf is everything paneled in wood? These honestly look terrible.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Paneled wood is going to look outdated before the airport even opens. Nothing art deco? No limestone? Maybe some Plaza-esque touches? And is the only fountain they could think of one that hangs from the ceiling and suffers from 'installation issues?' Spend a LITTLE money to keep this from looking like a Sam's Club.

The only thing that slightly conveys an essence of KC is the performance stage...which can be found in Austin, Nashville, Memphis, etc. At least they didn't put in some olde-timey rocking chairs in the renderings.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

joshmv wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:16 pm https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 05495.html

"The council also learned that the new terminal will not have a fountain, as earlier renderings showed, due to installation issues."
That's an untrue article. The last question (prompted by some smart Twitter person) asked about the fountain and they were looking for a new space for it... Unless something was stated after the meeting.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcjak wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:00 pm Paneled wood is going to look outdated before the airport even opens. Nothing art deco? No limestone? Maybe some Plaza-esque touches? And is the only fountain they could think of one that hangs from the ceiling and suffers from 'installation issues?' Spend a LITTLE money to keep this from looking like a Sam's Club.

The only thing that slightly conveys an essence of KC is the performance stage...which can be found in Austin, Nashville, Memphis, etc. At least they didn't put in some olde-timey rocking chairs in the renderings.
I don't put anything into those finishes yet.... But they did mention limestone specifically for the front hall where it says "all gates¥
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

RE: the earlier comment about limestone - the article mentioned it's use, though wasn't specific as to how exactly.

Any ground-up new terminal will be an upgrade, but at this point I am really frustrated that the signature design elements from the earlier "winning" proposal are ALL gone. Surely a firm of SOM's reputation and talent can come up with something better than this, in a city that has had some major architectural successes in the last decade (Sprint Center, PAC, Bloch Building, H&R Block).

The scalloped roof was beautiful, reflected the "rolling prairies" and the ideal of flight, and looked reasonably cost effective. It was a great design. Can't believe it has just disappeared with no comment, and replacement.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:42 pm also, wtf is everything paneled in wood? These honestly look terrible.
You will not get a good idea on how it will the walls or floors or counters will look based on a rendering.

Rendering are meant to show off the layout and what type of materials will be used in abstract. The computer can’t know what the grain of the wood will be. It’s not going to be able to show the exact amount of sanding and varnishing the workers will do.

Wood is the kind of material you need to see in person.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 pm Any ground-up new terminal will be an upgrade, but at this point I am really frustrated that the signature design elements from the earlier "winning" proposal are ALL gone.
Cost and function is the number on concern for 90% of people. They don’t care if fancy linestone is replaced with tile as long as lines move quickly.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:12 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:42 pm also, wtf is everything paneled in wood? These honestly look terrible.
You will not get a good idea on how it will the walls or floors or counters will look based on a rendering.

Rendering are meant to show off the layout and what type of materials will be used in abstract. The computer can’t know what the grain of the wood will be. It’s not going to be able to show the exact amount of sanding and varnishing the workers will do.

Wood is the kind of material you need to see in person.
I'd rather see glass and fountains in person.

It looks like they're stripping every good design element out. Even the chairs look shit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm quite sure we have decided on a chair design 51 months from opening.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm I'm quite sure we have decided on a chair design 51 months from opening.
I know, but like why release these renderings? I don't buy the "renderings are supposed to show..." excuse. These show nothing.

They're supposed to give an idea of what you're designing, and these look shit.