We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:You guys are a tough crowd. I don't see anything wrong with making it regional. Build good faith.
There should be plenty of KCMO resident meetings because the city tax covers the approach roads, the employees are city employees and it's a city facility.

But having some meetings outside KCMO would be smart.
Exactly. Seems better to build good will than go with the "Kanas is evil" plan that people here show.

But what do I know? :-k
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it's not a bad idea honestly. I'm not a Kansas is evil person. There are quite a few meetings already, pretty easy for non KCMO people to make those if they care.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

kboish wrote:Apparently one of the tax bill's floating around contains a provision that would eliminate
the funding mechanism they are planning to use for the new terminal construction.
Can anyone shed more light on this?!?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe it would get rid of the tax advantages of buying these bonds.....so investors would require a higher interest rate to compensate for the taxes...which could mean less airport for the max set price the airlines agreed to....if Edgemoor decides to use that funding method.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

atticus23 wrote:
kboish wrote:Apparently one of the tax bill's floating around contains a provision that would eliminate
the funding mechanism they are planning to use for the new terminal construction.
Can anyone shed more light on this?!?
Hopefully the senate will shoot down this version of the tax bill. Bonds are targeted because they benefit urban areas which normally vote democratic. It's a retaliatory bill that targets the enemies of republicans.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... ax-bill-1/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCI is broadening its horizons, stepping up efforts to attract international air service and hosting a community design meeting for the new terminal in Johnson County after all.
https://cityscenekc.com/city-steps-up-e ... ign-party/

That's the right decision and a quick change. Well done
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What would be the best European city for a nonstop?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:What would be the best European city for a nonstop?
London or Rome
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would expect wherever Cerner and other biz have most Euro travel will determine first nonstop.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Whoever offers a solid network of European/middle East connections. Obviously London is the most popular but there is a lot of competition to gain service there and it is slot controlled, at least for US carriers. Rejkavik via icleand air or wow air has gained popularity (pit, Cleveland, STL all now have service). Paris is another possibility as well as it offers a lot of connections. My money is on London, rejkavik, or Paris.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Maybe Germany too?

Paris and London are ideal.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Almost every trip I have made to Europe or mideast has gone through Frankfurt. So I would like Frankfurt/Main.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I would say London and Paris would probably be the top 2 choices, but I think Paris will become more important with the UK leaving the EU. It makes travel easier landing in an Schengen Area country (it was one of the reasons we avoided London when we flew over this summer). I'd also probably put Frankfurt on the list. It's one of the busiest airports in Europe and a good central location to get wherever you need to go.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

moderne wrote:Almost every trip I have made to Europe or mideast has gone through Frankfurt. So I would like Frankfurt/Main.

I really like FRA , sharp facility. I would def hop on a Lufthansa a380 from MCI to FRA
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If Austin in any indication, they have regular flights to London and seasonal to Frankfurt. KC has potential to become a lower medium sized hub but wouldn't expect many Euro flights unless that happens.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

BTW, KCI ranks an abysmal 38th in passenger traffic due to not being a hub. It ranked better than 30th when a mini hub for Vanguard.
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports. ... ernational

STL used to be in top 10 at TWA peak and now it ranks only 32nd...
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports. ... rier=FACTS

KC is of course smack dab in middle of country and has hub opportunities now with new airport coming. But hopefully KCI manages to grab several smallish hub operations and not a dominant one as the latter means fares goes up.

The new KCI needs to be designed in a way that encourages airlines to operate as a hub from here over other airports - fewer constraints, easier to logistically operate, simplistic baggage handling that works (not overly complex like some airports), etc. than other mid-sized hub airports. This should be more important than how it looks. The looks can be updated over time.

BTW, we are now getting a new airport. Time to change the thread title.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

earthling wrote:BTW, we are now getting a new airport. Time to change the thread title.
I suggest "We're getting a new airport!!!"
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Not sure if this was posted but interesting article stating that Wow Air was looking at our market for direct flights to Iceland.

https://cityscenekc.com/city-steps-up-e ... ign-party/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCI should invite Wow Air for design input of new terminal. If they are involved and engaged even in a small way, they may be more enticed to make a move. They are still considering KCI for expansion in 2019.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote:KCI should invite Wow Air for design input of new terminal. If they are involved and engaged even in a small way, they may be more enticed to make a move. They are still considering KCI for expansion in 2019.
Maybe more important for Condor or BA to be involved. They are also interested and those types of flights would provide 20 times the economic impact as a WoW one