We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby earthling » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Even though KC doesn't have a lot of large corporations based in KC, there are a lot of large corporations that have a KC presence. And it looks like KC is safe with Sprint jobs for now that could start to return. Cerner plans to add another 10K+ jobs.

KC is growing at a good pace in Pro Biz services, nearly 200K employees, almost 40K gain since 2010, almost 10K in the last year...
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU2928 ... raphs=true

STL is about 216K Pro Biz and not growing as much, under 30K gain since 2010, about 5K in the last year....
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU2941 ... raphs=true

KC also not far behind in Financial Services jobs at about 81K vs 89K in STL. KC did take a big hit in Information jobs due to Sprint but that could return.

STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby STLguy1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:02 pm

This is funny stuff. Some strange calculating and to think SWA has no ties to STL. [-X :shock: :roll:

Just happy we are getting a new airport. I won't hold my breath for 2021. When this old cornfield cement disaster is dug up there are going to be some major environmental concerns and delays. But let's shoot for the earlier. I figure 2023.

By that time SWA will be so ramped up that more in their major player cities now... we will see.

I'm sure we will get new O&D service. But I think crappy Spirit and Allegiant will be more than SWA to be honest. If you haven't been through SWA's new upgraded and expanded T2 and E Concourse lately... you have no clue what type of commitments and "ties"they have there. It's really amazing IMO as I connect there almost every week at this point. I would love to see service increases here than connections (which fuel growth numbers by large). SWA has their own terminal and concourse in STL. They are highly invested and very nice IMO. Just give me more frequency in MCI. however by 2023 I may be retired I hope. :P

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 pm

STLguy1 wrote:This is funny stuff. Some strange calculating and to think SWA has no ties to STL. [-X :shock: :roll:

Just happy we are getting a new airport. I won't hold my breath for 2021. When this old cornfield cement disaster is dug up there are going to be some major environmental concerns and delays. But let's shoot for the earlier. I figure 2023.

By that time SWA will be so ramped up that more in their major player cities now... we will see.

I'm sure we will get new O&D service. But I think crappy Spirit and Allegiant will be more than SWA to be honest. If you haven't been through SWA's new upgraded and expanded T2 and E Concourse lately... you have no clue what type of commitments and "ties"they have there. It's really amazing IMO as I connect there almost every week at this point. I would love to see service increases here than connections (which fuel growth numbers by large). SWA has their own terminal and concourse in STL. They are highly invested and very nice IMO. Just give me more frequency in MCI. however by 2023 I may be retired I hope. :P

I have. STL's terminal 2 is pretty crowded and not wide at all. Concourse 2 is just about as narrow as our current KCI terminal is. Not optimal. You noted they have spent a couple million over the last 5 years. That's really not much all all. Terminal 2 is crowded and the only place for them to without building new buildings is even more crowded in. Unless they physically expand the terminal by building new buildings, I would not say they are tied to STL at all.

Update: I looked up what is actually happening at STL and I’d say SWA is Investing their a lot more han you’ve let on
Last edited by ldai_phs on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

horizons82
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Postby horizons82 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:06 pm

STLguy1 wrote:This is funny stuff. Some strange calculating and to think SWA has no ties to STL. [-X :shock: :roll:

What makes you say that there's going to be environmental issues/delays? Much of the remediation that would be an issue should have already been addressed in the 2004 reno. Additionally, with no public in immediate vicinity of construction, there's a lot less containment that the GC would have to deal with.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:57 am

Let's please not do this. This was like a decade old debate that nobody in Kansas City cares to have about how many fortune 500/1000 companies are in each city.

We all love our older brother. Stl is a great city. We will just keep trying our best to be a real city over here.

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:23 am

KCPowercat wrote:Let's please not do this. This was like a decade old debate that nobody in Kansas City cares to have about how many fortune 500/1000 companies are in each city.

We all love our older brother. Stl is a great city. We will just keep trying our best to be a real city over here.

We both want to take flights from Denver and Chicago, not either taking from the other.

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 pm

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Apparently one of the tax bill's floating around contains a provision that would eliminate
the funding mechanism they are planning to use for the new terminal construction.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:53 pm

flyingember wrote:Design workshops announced

https://twitter.com/KCIEdgemoor/status/ ... 3421628419

Zero in Kansas is not a good sign. I hope they plan on including more of the region in this.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Kansas is free to show up to these meetings.

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
flyingember wrote:Design workshops announced

https://twitter.com/KCIEdgemoor/status/ ... 3421628419

Zero in Kansas is not a good sign. I hope they plan on including more of the region in this.

No. Why would they. It’s a Kansas City asset so citizens of KCMO are given priority thus they are only planning meetings 1 for every council district. Outsiders can attend if they’d like thi

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:15 pm

You guys are a tough crowd. I don't see anything wrong with making it regional. Build good faith.

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 pm

WoodDraw wrote:You guys are a tough crowd. I don't see anything wrong with making it regional. Build good faith.

There should be plenty of KCMO resident meetings because the city tax covers the approach roads, the employees are city employees and it's a city facility.

But having some meetings outside KCMO would be smart.

grovester
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby grovester » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 pm

WoodDraw wrote:You guys are a tough crowd. I don't see anything wrong with making it regional. Build good faith.

It's a civic endeavor and Kansas has not shown any interest in participating in the past, save for Union Station.

Send out a flyer telling them they are welcome, it's all they deserve.

Let them propose a regional authority with cash on the barrel.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 am

flyingember wrote:

There should be plenty of KCMO resident meetings because the city tax covers the approach roads, the employees are city employees and it's a city facility.

But having some meetings outside KCMO would be smart.

Exactly. Seems better to build good will than go with the "Kanas is evil" plan that people here show.

But what do I know? :-k

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:12 am

Yeah it's not a bad idea honestly. I'm not a Kansas is evil person. There are quite a few meetings already, pretty easy for non KCMO people to make those if they care.

atticus23
Pad site
Pad site

Postby atticus23 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:16 pm

kboish wrote:Apparently one of the tax bill's floating around contains a provision that would eliminate
the funding mechanism they are planning to use for the new terminal construction.

Can anyone shed more light on this?!?

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I believe it would get rid of the tax advantages of buying these bonds.....so investors would require a higher interest rate to compensate for the taxes...which could mean less airport for the max set price the airlines agreed to....if Edgemoor decides to use that funding method.

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 pm

atticus23 wrote:
kboish wrote:Apparently one of the tax bill's floating around contains a provision that would eliminate

Can anyone shed more light on this?!?

Hopefully the senate will shoot down this version of the tax bill. Bonds are targeted because they benefit urban areas which normally vote democratic. It's a retaliatory bill that targets the enemies of republicans.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... ax-bill-1/

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:46 am

KCI is broadening its horizons, stepping up efforts to attract international air service and hosting a community design meeting for the new terminal in Johnson County after all.

https://cityscenekc.com/city-steps-up-e ... ign-party/

That's the right decision and a quick change. Well done

Return to “Kansas City Transportation”