We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by mgsports »

Expand Wheeler or Johnson County Executive Airports to allow Airlines. We have other ones nearby in KS/MO. Chicago also has Midway and Rockford one us nearby. Orlando also has a Sanford that Airlines can fly into.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

mgsports wrote:Expand Wheeler or Johnson County Executive Airports to allow Airlines. We have other ones nearby in KS/MO. Chicago also has Midway and Rockford one us nearby. Orlando also has a Sanford that Airlines can fly into.
What?

If I understand what I think you're saying, that's not really the discussion at hand. Nobody's saying that there's a lack of capacity at KCI. And Wheeler is a nightmare logistically to introduce modern commercial airport amenities (rental cars, public parking, etc).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote:
mgsports wrote:Expand Wheeler or Johnson County Executive Airports to allow Airlines. We have other ones nearby in KS/MO. Chicago also has Midway and Rockford one us nearby. Orlando also has a Sanford that Airlines can fly into.
What?

If I understand what I think you're saying, that's not really the discussion at hand. Nobody's saying that there's a lack of capacity at KCI. And Wheeler is a nightmare logistically to introduce modern commercial airport amenities (rental cars, public parking, etc).
I think he's joking. But then again, after reading some peoples airport theories, I'm not so sure.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

NPR 89.3 just played a piece about the election tomorrow. Asked a first time user about their airport experience. Unsurprisingly it wasn’t great and left then wanting a #betterkci
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I just flew KCI over the weekend. My experience was like an informercial in support of a new KCI. I walked in to the packed gate area (SWA) at about 6pm, just as the small snack vendor was closing up shop. I could hear numerous people around me complaining and grumbling over the dearth of food inside security and the minimal number of bathrooms. We ended up schlepping over 4 gates to Starbucks, the lone thing open, and ordered horrendous $12 sandwiches.

There is nothing convenient or user-friendly about KCI. Great, you can walk 50 ft from the gate to the circle drive if someone has come to pick you up - but the 2 minutes of walking you save vs. a larger airport is not worth the hassle of (a) a shitty airport, and (b) the diminished flight options that limit flexibility and result in long layovers elsewhere (usually in large airports).
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

I'm not joking we just don't have a second Airport in the area where Airlines can fly in to.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mgsports wrote:I'm not joking we just don't have a second Airport in the area where Airlines can fly in to.
You want commercial flights to wheeler?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Long long lines at the main Southwest gate this morning at 5:20 am. I would have missed my flight or just barely made it if I weren't TSA pre-check.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

bobbyhawks wrote:Long long lines at the main Southwest gate this morning at 5:20 am. I would have missed my flight or just barely made it if I weren't TSA pre-check.
Gate 30 usually has no one in line.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

bobbyhawks wrote:Long long lines at the main Southwest gate this morning at 5:20 am. I would have missed my flight or just barely made it if I weren't TSA pre-check.
Unfortunately, some of the Delta gates don't have pre-check lanes, which is another reason why we need centralized security. It's really annoying if you aren't expecting it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Can we put up a poll? Pass or Fail
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Or Johnson County Executive Airport by making them size of Midway,one in Sanford,FL,Columbia,MO,Rockford,IL and so on. Springfield/Branson Airport size would okay to.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mgsports wrote:Or Johnson County Executive Airport by making them size of Midway,one in Sanford,FL,Columbia,MO,Rockford,IL and so on. Springfield/Branson Airport size would okay to.
I don't doubt that the state of Kansas will try to capitalize on a failed terminal vote in KC if that happens but in any situation, a second airport in Johnson County is the absolutely worst that could happen to aviation in the Kansas City area. It would be a disaster. KCI is the 37th busiest airport in the US. The metro unequivocally does not need a second commercial airport. It just needs a decent primary airport which we do not presently have.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

I just voted for the first time with a big yes! It feels good to have something so monumental to vote on in my first election. :D

I will note that I was surprised at how busy my polling location was (a Northland polling station). The people who were working the election tables were surprised at how busy it was too, one person said she thought it was gonna be a slow election.

The parking lot for the place was full with lots of people going in and out. There were people dressed in office attire, people dressed in around the house clothes, some in work uniforms, so it looks like a bit of everyone from a wide range of demographics are voting.

There were also some people out front who were petitioning: one for medical marijuana/cancer research and one for a minimum wage increase. There was also a person who is running for a city council seat for district 2 who was handing out campaign cards.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I did my part and voted yes for the airport. There were only three items on my ballot, the airport and two parks & recs questions asking for land to be removed from two parks. So the polling place wasn't all that busy. I was able to just walk up and 15 seconds later fill out my ballot and I was out of there.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I voted yes already. I'm up North in Shoal Creek and it was very busy at my polling site this morning. The workers said they were surprised at how busy it had been this morning. So I don't know if a high turnout election is good or bad for a new airport?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Gregg Community Center was its usual ghost town. There was a Freedom, Inc worker outside urging people to vote yes on all 3 issues.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I was #33 this morning an hour in. So a person every 2 minutes on average.
There was a lady taking signature for a medical marijuana ballot item out front

The Briarcliff precinct tends to vote Democrat and for new infrastructure. There's some $350k+ homes with pro new airport signs out and it's usually an outlier politically with the rest of the southern northland, voting more in concert with west of Main

Shoal Creek and the east side tend to vote the same and the east side can beat Shoal Creek in numbers easily. So watch both areas. Big turn out on the east side will drive this election.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chaglang wrote:Gregg Community Center was its usual ghost town. There was a Freedom, Inc worker outside urging people to vote yes on all 3 issues.
There were about six or seven voters when I passed through Gregg fifteen minutes ago.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I have a good feeling about this.