We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby bobbyhawks » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Long long lines at the main Southwest gate this morning at 5:20 am. I would have missed my flight or just barely made it if I weren't TSA pre-check.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby shinatoo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:42 pm

bobbyhawks wrote:Long long lines at the main Southwest gate this morning at 5:20 am. I would have missed my flight or just barely made it if I weren't TSA pre-check.

Gate 30 usually has no one in line.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby tower » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 pm

bobbyhawks wrote:Long long lines at the main Southwest gate this morning at 5:20 am. I would have missed my flight or just barely made it if I weren't TSA pre-check.

Unfortunately, some of the Delta gates don't have pre-check lanes, which is another reason why we need centralized security. It's really annoying if you aren't expecting it.

ldai_phs
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Can we put up a poll? Pass or Fail

mgsports
Penntower
Penntower

Postby mgsports » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Or Johnson County Executive Airport by making them size of Midway,one in Sanford,FL,Columbia,MO,Rockford,IL and so on. Springfield/Branson Airport size would okay to.

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 pm

mgsports wrote:Or Johnson County Executive Airport by making them size of Midway,one in Sanford,FL,Columbia,MO,Rockford,IL and so on. Springfield/Branson Airport size would okay to.

I don't doubt that the state of Kansas will try to capitalize on a failed terminal vote in KC if that happens but in any situation, a second airport in Johnson County is the absolutely worst that could happen to aviation in the Kansas City area. It would be a disaster. KCI is the 37th busiest airport in the US. The metro unequivocally does not need a second commercial airport. It just needs a decent primary airport which we do not presently have.

JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby JLowe2018 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:22 am

I just voted for the first time with a big yes! It feels good to have something so monumental to vote on in my first election. :D

I will note that I was surprised at how busy my polling location was (a Northland polling station). The people who were working the election tables were surprised at how busy it was too, one person said she thought it was gonna be a slow election.

The parking lot for the place was full with lots of people going in and out. There were people dressed in office attire, people dressed in around the house clothes, some in work uniforms, so it looks like a bit of everyone from a wide range of demographics are voting.

There were also some people out front who were petitioning: one for medical marijuana/cancer research and one for a minimum wage increase. There was also a person who is running for a city council seat for district 2 who was handing out campaign cards.

SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Postby SWFan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 am

I did my part and voted yes for the airport. There were only three items on my ballot, the airport and two parks & recs questions asking for land to be removed from two parks. So the polling place wasn't all that busy. I was able to just walk up and 15 seconds later fill out my ballot and I was out of there.

KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Postby KCFan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:40 am

I voted yes already. I'm up North in Shoal Creek and it was very busy at my polling site this morning. The workers said they were surprised at how busy it had been this morning. So I don't know if a high turnout election is good or bad for a new airport?

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby chaglang » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 am

Gregg Community Center was its usual ghost town. There was a Freedom, Inc worker outside urging people to vote yes on all 3 issues.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am

I was #33 this morning an hour in. So a person every 2 minutes on average.
There was a lady taking signature for a medical marijuana ballot item out front

The Briarcliff precinct tends to vote Democrat and for new infrastructure. There's some $350k+ homes with pro new airport signs out and it's usually an outlier politically with the rest of the southern northland, voting more in concert with west of Main

Shoal Creek and the east side tend to vote the same and the east side can beat Shoal Creek in numbers easily. So watch both areas. Big turn out on the east side will drive this election.

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Postby voltopt » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 am

chaglang wrote:Gregg Community Center was its usual ghost town. There was a Freedom, Inc worker outside urging people to vote yes on all 3 issues.

There were about six or seven voters when I passed through Gregg fifteen minutes ago.

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby JBmidtown » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 pm

I have a good feeling about this.

Riverite
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby Riverite » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Does anyone know what time we will know

swid
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby swid » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:20 pm

If this is like every other election, we'll have a good idea of how the Northland voted around 8, and south of the river by 9-9:30.

mgsports
Penntower
Penntower

Postby mgsports » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Expanding Johnson County Executive Airport because going to rebuild some buildings becuase of damage to them.

beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby beautyfromashes » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Sometimes I talk to my 6 year old neice about the origin of the universe. She has no idea what she is talking about, so it’s probably a complete waste of my time. She’s still a cute one though!

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

My favorite news quote

Citizens for Responsible Government, the group opposing the ballot measure, told 41 Action News it sent out an email blast with fliers that volunteers could print and pass out. However, CFRG did not have planned locations for them to do so.

Print it yourselves and find a place to go. That’s organized.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Voted around 4PM in Midtown. Lots of elderly people with canes voting, not any younger people under 40. Pretty good turnout but not a line. Not sure what that means but given airport was only major item, I'm not optimistic if mostly elderly show up.

horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby horizons82 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:17 pm

earthling wrote:Voted around 4PM in Midtown. Lots of elderly people with canes voting, not any younger people under 40. Pretty good turnout but not a line. Not sure what that means but given airport was only major item, I'm not optimistic if mostly elderly show up.

I would suspect most of the yes crowd, being younger, based their voting around work. So early morning, 11-1, and post-5pm.

I know of several coworkers who live in KCMO and voted when polls opened this morning.

Return to “Kansas City Transportation”