We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27883
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:55 pm

100 percent of our flights are direct.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6150
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby flyingember » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:18 pm

KCPowercat wrote:100 percent of our flights are direct.

And to nitpick the term purposefully-
True in the figurative sense
False in the literal sense

Since this is meant to be a figurative statement anyone on the internet who nitpicks the word "direct" is an idiot. I predict a bunch of people already have over the new terminal.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby tower » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 pm

im2kull wrote:
tower wrote:Good article on the economic benefit of direct flights:
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/10/ ... es/544478/


90% of our existing flights are direct flights... Sooo..


100% of all flights are direct in a sense.

The key word is more. And cheaper and quicker. To more places, especially internationally.

Edit: oh, I see we'd already gone there :)

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27883
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Lol

shinatoo
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5944
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm
Location: Lee's Summit

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby shinatoo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:40 pm

mykn wrote:
shinatoo wrote:If the vote fails can we just condemn the terminals? Asbestos or something?

They’ve already abated that.

Something? Or asbestos?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

Riverite
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby Riverite » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Make sure we delete this thread if that does happen though

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4131
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby earthling » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 am

I'm running across several in Midtown to SKC intending to vote who don't think we need a new terminal, thinking current one is fine. My approach is to explain that it's possibly the worst design in country for being a hub, that we only have 40 something destinations compared to 80+ or more for forward moving cities and KC is the largest market not to have a flight to Europe. Companies want flights to more markets, airlines want many gates that don't need to re-enter security. Voting against a new terminal will allow smaller markets to pass up KC long term. It will happen. Some have moved to KC from big cities not wanting KC to grow too much and are OK with other markets passing up KC.

Am concerned about this passing. The perceived perception of convenience is far outweighing the understanding of how hubs work and airlines operate. KCI is simply the worst airport to operate in and most voters don't understand this or want to keep KC from moving forward.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8892
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby Highlander » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:35 pm

earthling wrote:I'm running across several in Midtown to SKC intending to vote who don't think we need a new terminal, thinking current one is fine. My approach is to explain that it's possibly the worst design in country for being a hub, that we only have 40 something destinations compared to 80+ or more for forward moving cities and KC is the largest market not to have a flight to Europe. Companies want flights to more markets, airlines want many gates that don't need to re-enter security. Voting against a new terminal will allow smaller markets to pass up KC long term. It will happen. Some have moved to KC from big cities not wanting KC to grow too much and are OK with other markets passing up KC.

Am concerned about this passing. The perceived perception of convenience is far outweighing the understanding of how hubs work and airlines operate. KCI is simply the worst airport to operate in and most voters don't understand this or want to keep KC from moving forward.


Unfortunately, the election has somewhat become a referendum on KC's entire capital improvement process and not the actual airport itself. The Star has demonstrated duplicitous behavior in this regard favoring the new airport but criticizing the process at every step along the way in their lame attempt to create controversy. The fact that home-town Burns and McDonald was enlisted and then dropped isn't helping either. All that is very unfortunate because KC desperately needs a new terminal at KCI and a renovation of the existing terminals would be a disaster that would take decades to recover from.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mykn
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby mykn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:50 pm

shinatoo wrote:
mykn wrote:
shinatoo wrote:If the vote fails can we just condemn the terminals? Asbestos or something?

They’ve already abated that.

Something? Or asbestos?


Asbestos. I stumbled upon a star article about it from years ago when reading about an illegal dump site on the east side of town.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby ldai_phs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:18 pm

57% approval in polls

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10629
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby mean » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:54 am

That's a good sign, but I'm burned on polls, maybe forever.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15860
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby DaveKCMO » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 am

ldai_phs wrote:57% approval in polls


which poll? conducted by whom?

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8892
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby Highlander » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:33 pm

swid wrote:In a mistake I probably won't make again any time soon, I listened to Dan Coffey and Jolie Justus talk about Tuesday's vote on KMBZ. Dan claimed that CFRG's "polling" had the Yes vote at about 55%, but it had "dropped about 3% in the past few days". Given that he painted his own side as losing currently, I'm guessing that the polling done by the Better KCI group shows it being less close than that.

As an aside, I had never heard Dan talk until this morning - for running a pretty small-time anti-everything group, he's pretty good at the whataboutism, unsourced references to data he claims to support his position, and strategic name-dropping that works well on low-information voters. The KMBZ host was better at calling him out on this than Jolie was, unfortunately.



It's interesting following the Star's comments on KCI-related articles. Now that the Star has moved to a FB format for comments, it allows one to put together a cross-section of opponents to a new terminal into 1 of 2 categories: 1) Older - those that remember when KCI was relatively new and have fond memories and 2) the typical conservative republican that harbors the belief that anything government does is bad .

I've listened to Coffey too and have had several discussions with opponents. If you mention an issue with KCI, the typical response is "so you want to spend a billion dollars for......whatever single issue". KCI has a myriad of damning problems, a single problem may or may not be worth a new terminal (although I believe the lack of space in the secure area alone justifies a new terminal). It always comes back to a single issue with the opponents be it more direct flights, international flights, lack of outlets for recharging phones, crowded conditions behind security (actually on both sides), gateway to the city, and amenities.

mgsports
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2376
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby mgsports » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Expand Wheeler or Johnson County Executive Airports to allow Airlines. We have other ones nearby in KS/MO. Chicago also has Midway and Rockford one us nearby. Orlando also has a Sanford that Airlines can fly into.

horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 am

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby horizons82 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 pm

mgsports wrote:Expand Wheeler or Johnson County Executive Airports to allow Airlines. We have other ones nearby in KS/MO. Chicago also has Midway and Rockford one us nearby. Orlando also has a Sanford that Airlines can fly into.


What?

If I understand what I think you're saying, that's not really the discussion at hand. Nobody's saying that there's a lack of capacity at KCI. And Wheeler is a nightmare logistically to introduce modern commercial airport amenities (rental cars, public parking, etc).

User avatar
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby ldai_phs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 pm

horizons82 wrote:
mgsports wrote:Expand Wheeler or Johnson County Executive Airports to allow Airlines. We have other ones nearby in KS/MO. Chicago also has Midway and Rockford one us nearby. Orlando also has a Sanford that Airlines can fly into.


What?

If I understand what I think you're saying, that's not really the discussion at hand. Nobody's saying that there's a lack of capacity at KCI. And Wheeler is a nightmare logistically to introduce modern commercial airport amenities (rental cars, public parking, etc).

I think he's joking. But then again, after reading some peoples airport theories, I'm not so sure.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:30 pm

NPR 89.3 just played a piece about the election tomorrow. Asked a first time user about their airport experience. Unsurprisingly it wasn’t great and left then wanting a #betterkci

User avatar
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16938
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:43 am

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby chrizow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I just flew KCI over the weekend. My experience was like an informercial in support of a new KCI. I walked in to the packed gate area (SWA) at about 6pm, just as the small snack vendor was closing up shop. I could hear numerous people around me complaining and grumbling over the dearth of food inside security and the minimal number of bathrooms. We ended up schlepping over 4 gates to Starbucks, the lone thing open, and ordered horrendous $12 sandwiches.

There is nothing convenient or user-friendly about KCI. Great, you can walk 50 ft from the gate to the circle drive if someone has come to pick you up - but the 2 minutes of walking you save vs. a larger airport is not worth the hassle of (a) a shitty airport, and (b) the diminished flight options that limit flexibility and result in long layovers elsewhere (usually in large airports).

mgsports
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2376
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby mgsports » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm not joking we just don't have a second Airport in the area where Airlines can fly in to.

User avatar
ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:54 pm

mgsports wrote:I'm not joking we just don't have a second Airport in the area where Airlines can fly in to.

You want commercial flights to wheeler?


Return to “Kansas City Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests