We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote:CFRG people decided to do a blitz on the Star's KCI facebook feed with their classic lying. Luckily there was only like 50 people watching.

Good lord though, people do not pay attention to local current events. Most of questions asked at the Q&A could easily be answered with search on the Star's website.
A large number of people at the event clapped when people asked questions or made comments against the new terminal. I had seen a number before at other meetings. Not sure why they decide to keep going if they already have their mind set on No.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kboish wrote:KCPT offers an interesting take on the KCI saga.

Almost as if it were funded by CFRG or one of their overlords. KCPT did receive a $4million anonymous donation a few years ago to create “a new service focused on news and public affairs storytelling in the digital age”
I sat through that. One of the most paradoxical things was the constant referral back to Crawford architects for comments as they had as much vested interest in the process as everyone they were commenting on. I also did not like that it kind of portrayed Loar and Crawford Architects as semi victims of the process, like they had discovered this great way of making the whole thing work and everyone was ignoring them. And ignore them they should. KC should absolutely abandon the idea of renovation. It achieves nothing and leaves no critical mass in place to improve the amenities at KCI because people would be spread back over 3 terminals. KC is a modest sized city which ranks 37th in air travel, it flat out doesn't need a multi terminal design.

The other really interesting thing was that only 12% of KCI fliers comes from KCMO. I knew it would be considerably less than 50% but not that low.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Another point is the anti-new crowd say they're voting no it's because it's expensive but are often for renovations instead, which have been shown to cost even more. So cost clearly is a red herring.

It's the streetcar phase 2 vote all over. They really want to do nothing and aren't going to tell you this. It's the dishonesty that's the worst part about groups like CFRG.

If they would be honest they might get more attention. Sue Burke to her credit was honest as to her reasons about the streetcar. She didn't want it in front of her business.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The other really interesting thing was that only 12% of KCI fliers comes from KCMO. I knew it would be considerably less than 50% but not that low.
Is this number of fliers from KCMO proper, or MO-side metro?

It's always interesting to see the insane number of JOCO plates at TSC sporting events. Really a powerful, albeit entirely anecdotal, visual representation of the economic suction to the southwest/KS the KC metro has experienced over 50 years. Also why despite the often similarly unfortunate sprawling development, I get excited seeing the ongoing growth in northland/Lee's Summit/Blue Springs. Need some geographic balance, and MO side political pull.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Also want to add, I flew out of KCI again last Tuesday, 12:50 PM flight on SW. Arrived an hour early. As usual, both nearby circle lots were full, as was Terminal B garage. Used Valet, which was backed up into the circle road, blocking oncoming traffic and requiring security intervention to clear up.

Really don't understand why they don't use some type of dynamic pricing system to avoid these situations entirely.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

rxlexi wrote:
Is this number of fliers from KCMO proper, or MO-side metro?

It's always interesting to see the insane number of JOCO plates at TSC sporting events. Really a powerful, albeit entirely anecdotal, visual representation of the economic suction to the southwest/KS the KC metro has experienced over 50 years. Also why despite the often similarly unfortunate sprawling development, I get excited seeing the ongoing growth in northland/Lee's Summit/Blue Springs. Need some geographic balance, and MO side political pull.
KCMO proper
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCMO only makes up 22% of the metro area and people come from outside the metro to fly, so city residents make up a subset of a percent of potential customers of the airport.

One airport twitter feed said about 200 people come from Salina to fly daily so think of how wide an area the airport serves.

If I add another 500k people as a ballpark to cover the general region KCMO proper is down to 18.5% of the service area.

And when you figure that a larger percentage of KCMO residents are low income than the average of the city 12% sounds about right.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

rxlexi wrote:Also want to add, I flew out of KCI again last Tuesday, 12:50 PM flight on SW. Arrived an hour early. As usual, both nearby circle lots were full, as was Terminal B garage. Used Valet, which was backed up into the circle road, blocking oncoming traffic and requiring security intervention to clear up.

Really don't understand why they don't use some type of dynamic pricing system to avoid these situations entirely.
What they need is to reduce demand for driving to the terminal. Light rail or BRT would be great, but what would also help is to give a separate lot to Uber and taxi drivers so they aren't 11 mins away in the economy lot. Uber would be more convenient and less people would use parking then. Also would be more profitable for Uber drivers so more would be out there, reducing the possibility of surge pricing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Edgemoor is looking at/ is planning to design the terminal so that it can be connected to light rail in the future. This would mean designing everything with room for tracks and a station. He mentioned they would design it so that it could use either rail or BRT. Additionally, Uber and Taxi Drivers will have their own pickup area across from the New Terminal in the parking garage.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Furthermore, the Edgemoor and SOM will have workshops across the city after the airport is approved to nail down what features everyone wants. The general idea is that the Airport would reflect the neighborhoods and history of the city.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

ldai_phs wrote:Edgemoor is looking at/ is planning to design the terminal so that it can be connected to light rail in the future. This would mean designing everything with room for tracks and a station. He mentioned they would design it so that it could use either rail or BRT. Additionally, Uber and Taxi Drivers will have their own pickup area across from the New Terminal in the parking garage.
Oooh
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Edgemoor is looking at/ is planning to design the terminal so that it can be connected to light rail in the future. This would mean designing everything with room for tracks and a station. He mentioned they would design it so that it could use either rail or BRT. Additionally, Uber and Taxi Drivers will have their own pickup area across from the New Terminal in the parking garage.
Oooh
Obviously that is down the road a bit but it's a good point as the current 3 terminal configuration is not very conducive for a light rail connect.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Good to know that they are designing it for possible future light rail. Hopefully we manage to get light rail in the terminal's lifetime :)
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Highlander wrote:
Obviously that is down the road a bit but it's a good point as the current 3 terminal configuration is not very conducive for a light rail connect.
Yeah, it's good they're at least thinking about it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Was Edgemoor the proposal that included a connection to the Marriott?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they're also considering bike and pedestrian access. the line creek trail runs very close to the airport property. just add a couple miles of trail or on-street facilities and some bike lockers in the new garage and you're instantly in an exclusive group of US cities with bike access to their airport.

https://www.platteparks.com/line-creek-trail/

MAKE SURE YOU MENTION THIS, EVEN IF YOU DON'T PLAN TO USE IT (someone else will, for sure).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tower wrote:Good to know that they are designing it for possible future light rail. Hopefully we manage to get light rail in the terminal's lifetime :)
the most likely scenario -- given who uses the airport -- is a series of coach-based express routes from two to four terminals in the region: union station/plaza, johnson county, blue springs/lee's summit, and maybe st. joe/leavenworth. similar systems exist in LA and denver.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

kcjak wrote:Was Edgemoor the proposal that included a connection to the Marriott?
No, that was Jones Lang LaSalle.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

DaveKCMO wrote:
tower wrote:Good to know that they are designing it for possible future light rail. Hopefully we manage to get light rail in the terminal's lifetime :)
the most likely scenario -- given who uses the airport -- is a series of coach-based express routes from two to four terminals in the region: union station/plaza, johnson county, blue springs/lee's summit, and maybe st. joe/leavenworth. similar systems exist in LA and denver.
While I would love light rail to the airport, I just don't see it happening because it's too expensive. However, I always thought they could do a dedicated bus line from say the airport to River Market and then people could take the street car from there to the Plaza (assuming street car gets extended).
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

So what are the odds this passes Tuesday? I had to convince my elderly neighbor to vote yes on it even though he never flies, but he decided to vote yes for it since he thinks I wouldn't lead him astray...lol.