We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by swid »

Burns & Mac gave $20K to the campaign on Friday.

If you can't beat them, ...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

swid wrote:Burns & Mac gave $20K to the campaign on Friday.

They need to publicize this themselves...there is still a faction out there that are like "well the hometown team didn't get it, I'm not voting for it"
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:
swid wrote:Burns & Mac gave $20K to the campaign on Friday.

They need to publicize this themselves...there is still a faction out there that are like "well the hometown team didn't get it, I'm not voting for it"
From my experience, This same group often also thinks that if they vote no on Nov. 7th that we can Burns and Mac build it in a later vote
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

What do you guys think how voters skew? Last polling numbers I heard were 53% yes, 45% no. And supposedly they only poll land lines which you would think would be older voters. Do you think younger voters are more likely or less likely to support a new terminal? I feel like there’s a good push to get out and support this, but think turnout obviously will decide this one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Young voters want this from my experience as I think they see a new airport as another thing that can add to the new KC hipness factor that right now is a drain on our image...now getting them out to vote on it....
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Unless CFRG or another anti New Terminal group can put together a big push this week, the better KCI campaign people expect it to pass. I personally think the fact that anti New Terminal group has not been able to get funds or muster a campaign means that they expect it to be a lost cause to fight it.

Additionally. We continue to need to inform people of the election and new terminal as much as possible. Almost every person converts from No to Yes once they learn about the 1. Private Financing with no taxpayer funds or risk. And 2. Convience of the New Terminal. Too many people don’t know the Election is happening or don’t know the facts about it.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Well, CRFG did raise some money. My expectation is that they will do a huge mailer last weekend before the vote so it doesn’t give newKCI proponents a chance to respond. Kinda like you see happen during some elections for judges.

I do think voters are coming around once they get the information. It’s not a fast process but I do think it’s working. I had a neighbor that was an absolute no cote until he attended a Better KCI presentation and it completely flipped him.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCFan wrote:Well, CRFG did raise some money. My expectation is that they will do a huge mailer last weekend before the vote so it doesn’t give newKCI proponents a chance to respond. Kinda like you see happen during some elections for judges.

I do think voters are coming around once they get the information. It’s not a fast process but I do think it’s working. I had a neighbor that was an absolute no cote until he attended a Better KCI presentation and it completely flipped him.
Love voters that inform themselves.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCFan wrote:Well, CRFG did raise some money. My expectation is that they will do a huge mailer last weekend before the vote so it doesn’t give newKCI proponents a chance to respond. Kinda like you see happen during some elections for judges.

Thanks for the info. I hadn’t heard that about CFRG.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KCPowercat wrote:They need to publicize this themselves...there is still a faction out there that are like "well the hometown team didn't get it, I'm not voting for it"
Ask, and you shall receive: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 79696.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yah!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

New airline for KC offering special seasonal service Dec to Apr into HDN (Yampa Valley Regional). We'll be the airline's 15th destination.

https://www.flyviaair.com/steamboat/
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KCFan wrote:Well, CFRG did raise some money. My expectation is that they will do a huge mailer last weekend before the vote so it doesn’t give newKCI proponents a chance to respond. Kinda like you see happen during some elections for judges.

Unless they get a *lot* more money in soon, I can't see CFRG doing much more than sending out a mailer to their fan club. They only received $7850 in contributions in October - all of it from Phil Klein.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Good article on the economic benefit of direct flights:
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/10/ ... es/544478/
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

swid wrote:
KCFan wrote:Well, CFRG did raise some money. My expectation is that they will do a huge mailer last weekend before the vote so it doesn’t give newKCI proponents a chance to respond. Kinda like you see happen during some elections for judges.

Unless they get a *lot* more money in soon, I can't see CFRG doing much more than sending out a mailer to their fan club. They only received $7850 in contributions in October - all of it from Phil Klein.
I did see that. Apparently Phil Klein is trying to single handedly trying to stop progress in KC. I thought I saw somewhere (maybe earlier in this thread) that he gave $50k previously, but maybe that was for some of CRFG's other antics like opposing the convention center hotel? Well, it's certainly good news if they haven't raised much. Steve Vockrodt had tweeted that CRFG had only raised $10k (of a $150k goal) and had spent $5k. I was wondering how many mail pieces they could still send out? Probably not that many, but some.

Anybody else hearing more chatter about the campaign? They're supposed to have more yard signs in the campaign office today. The last batch went quickly and these are supposed to go quickly too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Let's assume they have access to a bulk rate account.

Anything less than first class will be hard to deliver last minute so I'm assuming they're getting that service
https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dm ... ice123.pdf

There's about 192,300 households in KCMO. That's probably reasonably close to the number of places people live since this is census numbers

If they have it crazy automated and pre-sorted they're it's 37.3 cents each
That's 13400 mailings.
So that's 6.9% coverage at most.

The highest not organized is 45.3 cents each
That's 11000 cards, or 5.7% coverage.

So not very much.

A really simple odds of 6% times a 10% turnout give them a 0.6% chance of hitting a household with a voter. Would be a huge waste of money.
A smart choice would be to saturate specific precincts and try to increase the no votes in them.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Meanwhile, I’m getting a mailer every other day from NewKCI.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

chaglang wrote:Meanwhile, I’m getting a mailer every other day from NewKCI.
That's pretty good. They're only supposed to be mailing people that are in the middle (not a definitive yes or no). I haven't gotten any mail at all and I'm a frequent voter. Canvassers came by my home Sunday (but I wasn't there).
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

CFRG people decided to do a blitz on the Star's KCI facebook feed with their classic lying. Luckily there was only like 50 people watching.

Good lord though, people do not pay attention to local current events. Most of questions asked at the Q&A could easily be answered with search on the Star's website.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCPT offers an interesting take on the KCI saga.

Almost as if it were funded by CFRG or one of their overlords. KCPT did receive a $4million anonymous donation a few years ago to create “a new service focused on news and public affairs storytelling in the digital age”