We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by scooterj »

I just got a call from Freedom Inc on my office phone encouraging me to vote for the new airport. Unfortunately I live 1 block outside of city limits so I can't vote. Which is annoying, because I was once against the idea of a new airport but have since changed my mind and am now for it.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Money to buy Freedom Inc's support has a history to goes back to its beginning. And Freedom isn't the only one.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ldai_phs wrote:$12 /hour to canvass for Better KCI
hey, what happened to $15? [-X
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I'm pretty sure the Southwest CEO will be in town for the KCADC annual meeting Friday. I don't know if he will be presenting or not, but my guess is he'll probably be endorsing the new airport. If you've ever been to the event, it's always a big deal and they always have impressive things up their sleeve. I was told the annual luncheon sold out and more than 1700 will be in attendance. Last year they live streamed it too, but I haven't heard if they will do that again.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Announcing direct to Hawaii if approved (this is a joke)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:Announcing direct to Hawaii if approved (this is a joke)
London? ;)
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Don't tease direct Europe flights. It's mean
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

ldai_phs wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Announcing direct to Hawaii if approved (this is a joke)
London? ;)
well, missouri governor has been in london this month. i know that st. louis has been begging, screaming for direct london flights for a few years now. maybe kc, too? the nashville british airways deal may be on the rocks and i think st. louis was the other main contender.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Southwest will announce their first direct European flights from Kc. ;)
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Really good article from the Star today comparing some peer airports to KCI.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 68331.html
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

By the way, does anyone know how to absentee vote in Clay County? I have some neighbors that want to vote for the airport, but will be gone Nov. 7.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCFan wrote:By the way, does anyone know how to absentee vote in Clay County? I have some neighbors that want to vote for the airport, but will be gone Nov. 7.
http://www.claycoelections.com/index.as ... ype=B_LIST
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ldai_phs wrote:Southwest will announce their first direct European flights from Kc. ;)
The comments section however is pathetic. As long as the fewest amount of steps it takes to get to gate is the most important criteria, KCI will most likely go unchanged. I think there is a sizeable group of people in KC that just wouldn't care if KC lost much of its business and population as long as their lives required the least amount of effort possible.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCFan wrote:By the way, does anyone know how to absentee vote in Clay County? I have some neighbors that want to vote for the airport, but will be gone Nov. 7.
http://www.claycoelections.com/index.as ... ype=B_LIST
The election board is in the old post office building next to the downtown fire station in Liberty. Much better than their former office just off the square. Used to help unload the ballot boxes there after elections.

The annex is next to Northgate MS on Vivion. This isn't a large election so they may not be doing it there.

Tell them to not delay if going to Liberty after work because 35 can go really slow and 435 worse. From the south the best way is via Pleasant Valley Rd to Flintlock to Liberty Drive to Mill to Gallatin. Avoid 152/Kansas St to Mill except off peak
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Highlander wrote:The comments section however is pathetic. As long as the fewest amount of steps it takes to get to gate is the most important criteria, KCI will most likely go unchanged. I think there is a sizeable group of people in KC that just wouldn't care if KC lost much of its business and population as long as their lives required the least amount of effort possible.
I want to say those comments don't represent KC, but... those comments represent KC, everyone knows it, and promising to put it to a vote was basically playing hope chess that a future administration could make a better pitch. They're trying their best, and good on 'em, but I just can't see how it will ever be enough.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Remember how I warned that Trump was likely to win because people are stupid and don't care about the big picture? Yeah, well, welcome to the microcosm of that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

61% pass is my bet.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

God I hope so.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not that I don't think there are a lot of people who will whine like those comments, I just think of KCMO voters, there isn't a push to turnout the no vote, people generally against it still see the writing on the wall that something has to be done, all the big voting entities (freedom, unions) are for this, and there is nothing else on the ballot to bring the "on the fence but generally against" vote out.....and there are a lot of KCMO voters who do have a passion for seeing a new airport.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A surprising number of people I have met while promoting have had little/no idea about this Election. I encourage everyone to put up yard signs, talk to neighbors,friends, family, etc and to go and vote yes themselves