We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote:Renderings coming this week and then I expect the campaign to hit into high gear.

SOM better knock this out of the park
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

WoodDraw wrote:Renderings coming this week and then I expect the campaign to hit into high gear.
Any chance of a fly through video too?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It would be smart to do a to scale old vs new image set
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Check out Edgemoor’s design for the KCI single terminal
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 23371.html

Looks good
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Sort of a light and airy Dulles in the main part of the terminal. Who doesn't love fountains indoors and out. The high open ceilings will be much better than the current concrete honeycombs. We need to see what they layout is.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Meh. Way better than what we have though.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Hard to form much of an opinion either way based on 5 pictures, but I'm sure it will be an improvement.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If the Airport vote fails, do you think there is a good chance that the airport moves to Kansas? I wish the city would play this angle, there is more at stake then just convenience, most of the hotels and restaurants and other businesses that have to do with the airport would all end up closing up and moving out and you take a huge hit out of your tax base if the airport moves to Kansas.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

What I've been told is that Kansas is trying to pick off an airline and build an 8-10 gate airport. Kansas Citians can put that to bed by passing this vote. If we don't, then expect Kansas to keep trying to find an airline to partner with and then go through the regulatory hurdles to make it happen.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like it but it needs more polish....early in the design work .
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

That is boldly mediocre and frighteningly scant for an unpopular idea they are trying to sell to a largely ignorant and almost preternaturally resistant voting populace in a month.

Bravo. That’s balls.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The best I can say is I like the fountain. The next best is at least they didn't put rocking chairs in the concourse. After flying through terminal C at IAH last month where EVERY seat had access to an ipad, food/drink options and mobile device charging, this rendering looks like something done on the fly and on the cheap. Does it even have arrivals/departures drop off on two levels?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCFan wrote:What I've been told is that Kansas is trying to pick off an airline and build an 8-10 gate airport. Kansas Citians can put that to bed by passing this vote. If we don't, then expect Kansas to keep trying to find an airline to partner with and then go through the regulatory hurdles to make it happen.
No doubt this would end up like STL's second airport.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Yeah, it was mentioned on Twitter and in the press release that arrivals and departures would be segregated.

Given that these were preliminary renderings, I'm not terribly surprised they glossed over exactly how ubiquitous our device charging options will be when it's built.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

My biggest concern with all of this is that it looks like their concourses are very narrow, lack enough room for seating, and while they appear to be pleasant in overall look/feel, the size seems off. Check out the drawing with "Gate 5" it looks like it is just stuck next to a restaurant, with no extra seating for the 120-180 passengers that likely would need to group near a gate to board. Unless they have designed some fancy new boarding process, this seems like they're off on the width of the concourse by 50 feet or more, to be comfortable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcjak wrote:The best I can say is I like the fountain. The next best is at least they didn't put rocking chairs in the concourse. After flying through terminal C at IAH last month where EVERY seat had access to an ipad, food/drink options and mobile device charging, this rendering looks like something done on the fly and on the cheap. Does it even have arrivals/departures drop off on two levels?
nowhere near that level of detail yet....but yeah wouldn't hurt to put that fun stuff in a rendering
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

cityscape wrote:My biggest concern with all of this is that it looks like their concourses are very narrow, lack enough room for seating, and while they appear to be pleasant in overall look/feel, the size seems off. Check out the drawing with "Gate 5" it looks like it is just stuck next to a restaurant, with no extra seating for the 120-180 passengers that likely would need to group near a gate to board. Unless they have designed some fancy new boarding process, this seems like they're off on the width of the concourse by 50 feet or more, to be comfortable.
I think they may have tried over exaggerate the openness to better contrast the new terminal from the old.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

cityscape wrote:My biggest concern with all of this is that it looks like their concourses are very narrow, lack enough room for seating, and while they appear to be pleasant in overall look/feel, the size seems off. Check out the drawing with "Gate 5" it looks like it is just stuck next to a restaurant, with no extra seating for the 120-180 passengers that likely would need to group near a gate to board. Unless they have designed some fancy new boarding process, this seems like they're off on the width of the concourse by 50 feet or more, to be comfortable.
Noticed that as well with the gates, but concluded those gates without seating must be for arriving/deplaning passengers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I'm not breaking down these renderings to that level....but it would be nice to get approx. width/length of these spaces.