We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by shinatoo »

got my vote, but i can't shake how small it looks and feels. like it should be Wichita's airport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AECOM has my vote if the 35 gate iconic version is chosen of their 4. The burns one is fine too but seems AECOM is doing more with the money...i haven't seen the other 2 proposals yet though.

I haven't been in ICT new terminal but that terminal is 272k sf. vs. these are coming in at 750k sf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_D ... al_Airport
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

shinatoo wrote:got my vote, but i can't shake how small it looks and feels. like it should be Wichita's airport.
Looked roughly comparable to Austin to me, which seems about right. Never been in Wichita's though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Austin is 660k sf. and 25 gates....so the small AECOM version.

While the small AECOM version is cheaper and may fit us currently, that doesn't seem the route to go. Money is cheaper now, let's not pigeonhole ourselves into a terminal that may require expansion plans the day it opens.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:Austin is 660k sf. and 25 gates....so the small AECOM version.

While the small AECOM version is cheaper and may fit us currently, that doesn't seem the route to go. Money is cheaper now, let's not pigeonhole ourselves into a terminal that may require expansion plans the day it opens.
Were all the AECOM versions in the video? I assumed the video was just one option that looked somewhat comparable in size to Austin to my completely untrained eye that had no idea what it was looking at. I mean, 660k vs 750k is at least more or less in the same ballpark, way closer to each other than Wichita anyway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I'm not sure....I posted that just more because I just found the info so thought I'd share.

Agreed on it looking similar...it seems like their proposal for 25 instead of 35 gates was more just extending the ends of the terminal building...and based on the site plan the pre-security area looked smaller and not as well designed.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Liking Acoms better. The B n M one will look dated sooner and doesn't incorporate enough natural light.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Does B and M's proposal also require you to go Up or Down some sort of bridge or change levels between security and the gates?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The bridge makes sense I guess and it's sexy. Even without it I like that proposal better as it seems like they even have the financing more figured out.

B&m proposal is like a really really long resume
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wow, I love the AECOM design. I actually don't like the B&M nearly as much. It seems too 1960's or something.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

http://media.kansascity.com/livegraphic ... CI-DVM.pdf

JLL plan. I like the linear terminal idea. Seems more feasible, but their proposal looks like I put it together. I'd like to see something more developed, especially if they are planning to turn dirt the day after the election. Also no financing plan.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The linear design would require tearing out a bunch of other buildings and seems the most likely to offer the longest possible distances.

I don't like it for that reason.
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Not that it means anything, but AECOM's video uses the airport sound effect from SimCity 2000 in the beginning of the video. I just found that amusing.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

shinatoo wrote:http://media.kansascity.com/livegraphic ... CI-DVM.pdf

JLL plan. I like the linear terminal idea. Seems more feasible, but their proposal looks like I put it together. I'd like to see something more developed, especially if they are planning to turn dirt the day after the election. Also no financing plan.
Is it just me or did the JLL plan look like a summer intern project? The PowerPoint was all sorts of font types,etc.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

GRID wrote:Wow, I love the AECOM design. I actually don't like the B&M nearly as much. It seems too 1960's or something.
I liked Aecom's as well. It will be interesting to see how the city responds and if they will go "against" the hometown team....
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Go with BM. Keep the money in the city instead of shipping profits out. Will stimulate the economy more.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Like them all for various reasons, even the practical ones. Unless there is a significant benefit not to go local, go local.