We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by missingkc »

I agree, mean. The only reason there is to be a vote is because a previous version of the city council promised there would be, right? If that's so, I can't believe they would hamstring such an important eco-devo decision with a public vote. I'm sure they were trying to be responsible elected officials, but we have professionals and experts for a reason. And the council members were elected to make decisions. Not pawn the responsibility off on voters.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think they are just avoiding any potential legal issues
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What is the council breakdown on support for the airport, anyway? Are there some anti development members who are against a new airport?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:I think they are just avoiding any potential legal issues
I think their theory, and it's not without merit, is that this will lead to a petition and vote no matter what choice the city makes. The new normal is that any significant city project starts a petition now. It doesn't excuse some of the mistakers they've made, but I do sympathize.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

San Jose airport appears to be completely linear. 28 gates. Very nice.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote:San Jose airport appears to be completely linear. 28 gates. Very nice.
I was just there a month ago. It was nice. Much nicer than KCI but not all that big. San Francisco is one of favorite large airports in the country.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

StrangerThings wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:What is the council breakdown on support for the airport, anyway? Are there some anti development members who are against a new airport?
I watched the public forum they had a few weeks ago and a female member of the city council seemed very anti-new airport as far as I could tell. I think the majority are for a new airport.

Was it this person? http://kcmo.gov/hall/

She thinks she is the next Sarah Palin.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

My secret confession is that I enjoy most airports and don't really understand why people complain about flying. Most airports that people complain about I find just fine.

KCI really is one of the few I hate. My biggest complaint 99% of the time at most airports is getting to and from the airport. I get so bored of people talking about time to gate and security process. I understand it's important to other people though. I just don't think I'll ever really process it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WoodDraw wrote:My secret confession is that I enjoy most airports and don't really understand why people complain about flying. Most airports that people complain about I find just fine.

KCI really is one of the few I hate.
I actually like airports too. And I have spent a lot of time there. I don't mind flying but at 6'4", I am very displeased with how incredibly tight seating has become on aircraft. Until this year, the majority of my flights were business class with most going overseas so I didn't mind so much but I am now experiencing much more frequently how the other half flies. Not as fun. But I still enjoy airports and have a lot of frequent flier miles so I will need to enjoy them.

Regarding KCI, looks like yet another petition drive, this time to get the private option going again. Labor group taking the lead.

Getting to be like light rail with a cast of characters involved that probably should not be.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edito ... 20369.html
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I have never liked a single airport I have ever been in. When people talk about SFO or DIA or PDX being "nice", I'm as baffled as I am when talking to Trump supporters.

I dislike airports just slightly less than riding in cars for more than about 5 hours. Otherwise I think they are really awful places and air travel itself is really just a series of tests of my willpower.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Highlander wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:My secret confession is that I enjoy most airports and don't really understand why people complain about flying. Most airports that people complain about I find just fine.

KCI really is one of the few I hate.
I actually like airports too. And I have spent a lot of time there. I don't mind flying but at 6'4", I am very displeased with how incredibly tight seating has become on aircraft. Until this year, the majority of my flights were business class with most going overseas so I didn't mind so much but I am now experiencing much more frequently how the other half flies. Not as fun. But I still enjoy airports and have a lot of frequent flier miles so I will need to enjoy them.

Regarding KCI, looks like yet another petition drive, this time to get the private option going again. Labor group taking the lead.

Getting to be like light rail with a cast of characters involved that probably should not be.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edito ... 20369.html
Oh, I'm all about complaining about airlines! ;)

I know what you're saying though. I guess I was saying more the airport process. There are airports I love and airports I dislike, but most for sentimental reasons. I'll gripe along with the best of them at frustrating times, but I've never understood people complaining about security or having to walk too far or this convenience thing people talk about.

I know I'm weird though and love airports. I have memories burned into my head of airports all over the world and not a single one of them involves how long it took me to walk to a gate.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

LaGuardia, NY; original terminal. If that doesn't cause you to complain about flying/airport, then I don't know what will.

LaGuardia currently is the only airport in the U.S. that I hate. Actually, just flying in/out of the NYC is at the bottom of my list of places that suck to fly to/from.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I hate San Diego, Laguardia, LAX, and San Luis Obispo (small crappy terminal). KCI is slowly becoming San Diego for me in terms of cramped space and never a clean restroom when you need it. My favorite airports are Sacramento, Phoenix Sky Harbor, Austin, Love Field, and Burbank. Really can't beat the simplicity of the new Sacramento terminal and the openness. Lots of good choices for eating as well. I know a lot of folks hate Phoenix, but for some reason I like it. I travel there more than anywhere else and there is a trick to knowing how to migrate it. Once you figure that out, it is very convenient to get into and out of.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

SWFan wrote:
LaGuardia, NY; original terminal. If that doesn't cause you to complain about flying/airport, then I don't know what will.

LaGuardia currently is the only airport in the U.S. that I hate. Actually, just flying in/out of the NYC is at the bottom of my list of places that suck to fly to/from.
It's pretty bad. I'm lucky in that I never connect through NYC, so I only deal with it for the random vacation trip here and there.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but Midway, Chicago is one that isn't my favorite that a lot of people don't mind. Very narrow, people constantly spilling out in the walkways from the gates, not enough room at restaurants/bars unless you want to eat at the shitty food court, and annoying waits at baggage claim. But I know people that refuse to even look at ORD, which I've normally had very good experiences at.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WoodDraw wrote:
SWFan wrote:

It's pretty bad. I'm lucky in that I never connect through NYC, so I only deal with it for the random vacation trip here and there.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but Midway, Chicago is one that isn't my favorite that a lot of people don't mind. Very narrow, people constantly spilling out in the walkways from the gates, not enough room at restaurants/bars unless you want to eat at the shitty food court, and annoying waits at baggage claim. But I know people that refuse to even look at ORD, which I've normally had very good experiences at.
I'm in the same boat as you, i hate midway but love ORD, although I might like it more because I spend a lot of time in the Airport Lounges at ORD so it makes it a lot less stressful
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

cityscape wrote:I hate San Diego, Laguardia, LAX, and San Luis Obispo (small crappy terminal). KCI is slowly becoming San Diego for me in terms of cramped space and never a clean restroom when you need it. My favorite airports are Sacramento, Phoenix Sky Harbor, Austin, Love Field, and Burbank. Really can't beat the simplicity of the new Sacramento terminal and the openness. Lots of good choices for eating as well. I know a lot of folks hate Phoenix, but for some reason I like it. I travel there more than anywhere else and there is a trick to knowing how to migrate it. Once you figure that out, it is very convenient to get into and out of.
The new terminal at San Diego is amazing, you must fly Soutwest a lot because where they are located is horrible but where the other airlines are located the San Diego Airport is very nice.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

brewcrew1000 wrote:The new terminal at San Diego is amazing, you must fly Soutwest a lot because where they are located is horrible but where the other airlines are located the San Diego Airport is very nice.
Yes, I fly Southwest almost exclusively. Haven't seen the new San Diego terminal and my only experience is with SouthWest's. I wish they would just demolish the Southwest terminal and rebuild, but from what I understand they just "renovated" it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ruckus this week, Burns & Mac CEO hinted at "another agency" to get tax exempt financing.....hmmm....Port Authority?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:Ruckus this week, Burns & Mac CEO hinted at "another agency" to get tax exempt financing.....hmmm....Port Authority?
Wouldn't that require transferring the airport to them?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Ruckus this week, Burns & Mac CEO hinted at "another agency" to get tax exempt financing.....hmmm....Port Authority?
This whole "get private companies to fight for the project" thing is getting interesting

If people think that voting yes gets the city a special deal it could help there