We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Did we try the rehab once? 700M to not fix all the problems and use an old building seems silly.
yes. 10-15 years ago. the airport got the current floors with the same project
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

flyingember wrote:10-15 years ago. the airport got the current floors with the same project
The airport had wooden parquet floors originally. The 1990s rehab gave us the current terrazzo floors plus the multi-story parking garages and their tunnels.

$700M for additional rehab is highly suspicious. It's plumbing and electrical updates mainly, which could probably be put out to bid for far less. I think that this number has been inflated in order to nudge the decision makers toward demolition.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

herrfrank wrote:
flyingember wrote:10-15 years ago. the airport got the current floors with the same project
The airport had wooden parquet floors originally. The 1990s rehab gave us the current terrazzo floors plus the multi-story parking garages and their tunnels.

$700M for additional rehab is highly suspicious. It's plumbing and electrical updates mainly, which could probably be put out to bid for far less. I think that this number has been inflated in order to nudge the decision makers toward demolition.
I bet we put off years of needed work because the city thought it was going to build new instead.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"$700M for additional rehab is highly suspicious. It's plumbing and electrical updates mainly, which could probably be put out to bid for far less. I think that this number has been inflated in order to nudge the decision makers toward demolition."

There is way more to it than that but you got your mind already made up.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Gambling coming to KCI soon
Travelers will soon be able to gamble at Kansas City International Airport.

Joe McBride, a spokesman for the Kansas City Aviation Department, confirmed that the airport (Code: MCI) will start selling lottery tickets and running keno games inside the airport's passenger terminals through the Missouri Lottery.
WTF
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there's your precious boarding experience, kansas city.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

It still won't be Vegas.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:It still won't be Vegas.
:shock:
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

With the slot machines by the gates.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Let's get a craps table on the streetcar. C'mon Dave, make it happen.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

So, does the majority still believe that the airport is all about creating an inviting and welcoming customer experience, or money? I'm choosing Money, as I have all along...

Next thing you know they're going to claim that there's not enough Slot machines and that a new terminal would fix that!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The opposition made it about money. They think they city won't be spending a fortune if we don't build.

Thus I expect the city to show up with a crazy expensive plan for the current terminals at some point, and 75% of it will be necessary to do.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

flyingember wrote:The opposition made it about money. They think they city won't be spending a fortune if we don't build.

Thus I expect the city to show up with a crazy expensive plan for the current terminals at some point, and 75% of it will be necessary to do.
I'm afraid once again they will delay their findings to allow a renovation argument to be fully heard.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMax wrote:Gambling coming to KCI soon
Travelers will soon be able to gamble at Kansas City International Airport.

Joe McBride, a spokesman for the Kansas City Aviation Department, confirmed that the airport (Code: MCI) will start selling lottery tickets and running keno games inside the airport's passenger terminals through the Missouri Lottery.
WTF
O'hare has a few lottery kiosks sprinkled around the airport as well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mykem wrote:
flyingember wrote:The opposition made it about money. They think they city won't be spending a fortune if we don't build.

I'm afraid once again they will delay their findings to allow a renovation argument to be fully heard.
any vote will fail 70-30 if they don't.

"they just want new" is easy to understand.
"We need to spend X vs Y and you get ____ from each options" is equally simple to understand but is a very different argument.

too many people think the city's exaggerating on the cost of repairing. We simply don't know if this is the case or not. A year delay to get the right information is worth it.

last summer they came back with needing to do foundation repair. that's the scope of the kind of repairs we're looking at. expensive ones we need real numbers on, not guesses
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Given the city's willingness, nay, eagerness to knock down buildings it's going to be hard not to be skeptical of any numbers they provide.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

mean wrote:Given the city's willingness, nay, eagerness to knock down buildings it's going to be hard not to be skeptical of any numbers they provide.
Tell me you're not conflating urban renewal with the airport.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

A comments concerning KCI improvements:

Quote:
A long-running assumption in the civic conversation about the future of Kansas City International Airport has involved the relative efficiencies in security that might result from single-terminal operation.
Not necessarily so, says John Della Jacono, the TSA’s federal security director for western Missouri. When coaxed to envision the air-travel benefits of a new terminal with centralized security versus the multi-checkpoint layout at KCI today, Jacono told the KCI Terminal Advisory Group on Tuesday, “I don’t think it’s going to be that dramatic.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/25/49 ... rylink=cpy
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

grovester wrote:
mean wrote:Given the city's willingness, nay, eagerness to knock down buildings it's going to be hard not to be skeptical of any numbers they provide.
Tell me you're not conflating urban renewal with the airport.
I'm not "conflating" anything. Offering inflated repair numbers to sway public opinion is an obvious tactic. I don't think whoever commissions a consultant to come up with those numbers is going to think, "We really shouldn't pad these to further our interests, someone might conflate what we're doing here with urban renewal!"
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Parties are just as likely to deflate repair numbers. I was referring to your comment about the cities "eagerness" to knock down buildings in general.