Johnson County Transit (The JO)

Transportation topics in KC
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Johnson County Transit (The JO)

Post by Tosspot »

So now instead of 10 people riding the JO on a daily basis, they've got about 11.6 people.
Last edited by Tosspot on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: So now instead of 10 people riding the JO on a daily basis, they've got about 11.6 people.
Baby steps...    :lol:
KC is the way to be!
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

I would love to be take the JO on a daily basis.  There is a stop close to my home in Olathe (walkable on a nice day, short drive to park on nasty ones) and then it continues over to the Sprint Campus.  The only problem is I get one shot at it each morning and afternoon, and my job doesn't always lend itself to leaving at a prescribed time everyday.  So, for now, its a handy alternative when the jalopy is in the shop.

Its a chicken-and-egg thing, I know.  Perhaps more people would ride if the frequency was better, but how do you justify adding buses when Tosspot's 11.6 people are all that are on the ones running now.
ralfonso
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ralfonso »

jimb wrote:The only problem is I get one shot at it each morning and afternoon..
It's almost the same thing for me.  I can usually leave at the same time every day, but the Jo schedule would have me working slightly less than seven hours.  I don't think I'd get away with it.  I usually ride my bike to work, but it would nice to have an alternative on icy/snowy/very rainy/hungover days.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I'm as big of a transit advocate/rider as anyone on here, but i doubt i'd ride the JO due to the simple fact that i wouldnt want to get fired for missing the ONE bus or having to drive a distance to catch it...talk about a token bus "system." I don't doubt that there are thousands of johnson countians who would use a decent transit system.
Last edited by warwickland on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i wonder how much additional ridership the jo could attract if they would just post route and schedule information on the street in areas where people work -- downtown, crown center, the plaza.  most of the jo buses that come into missouri pass by crown center and the 10th and main transit center, yet there's no evidence of the service except when a jo bus is actually present.

instead, the jo continues to be a secret -- its existance known only to those (few) folks who have already (somehow) found out about it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From the Star today:

U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore has secured $1.75 million in transit funding for Johnson County, the Unified Government in Wyandotte County, the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority and the city of Lawrence.

The money will go for buses or bus facilities.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

In yesterday's paper, it didn't say the KCATA.  I'm gathering this is just for JoCo and Wyandotte counties to pay to the KCATA.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

That works out to roughly 1076 riders per day. Riding 21 routes, that's 51 riders per route, per day. Let's assume(wrongly) that all of those riders are riding during the six hours of rush hour, per day. That's 8 people per hour, per route.

That's up from what, 7?

I agree with warwickland. The Jo seems to me to be a pretty big joke, and on top of that, with minuscule ridership.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think it depends on the route, some of the routes run longer than others.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

ComandanteCero wrote: I think it depends on the route, some of the routes run longer than others.
Absolutely, but those are still some abyssmal numbers.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

no doubt, the JO is pretty useless for most of the stuff i want to do.  My mom tried to use it for her morning commute, but once she figured out the routes and the schedule, it quickly became apparent it was not going to work.  Ditto for my dad.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

New Bus Service on K-10

Post by KCFutbol »

NEW BUS SERVICE ON K-10

Students, faculty and staff: If you use K-10 to commute to and from the KU campuses and Johnson County Community College, you’ll be able to give your wallet and your vehicle a break starting in January. A new transit service that connects the University of Kansas campus in Lawrence with the Edwards Campus and JCCC in Overland Park will launch on January 17. Some quick details:

·      Service will operate Monday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Friday.

·      Fare will be $2.50 per one-way trip ($5 round-trip).

·      10-ride and monthly passes will be available for purchase.

·      The service is open to the general public: students, faculty, staff and others are encouraged to take advantage of this regional transit service.

·      The express route will have stops at the west-side park-n-ride lot on the KU Campus as well as the Haskell Indian Nations University parking facility, the Edwards Campus and Johnson County Community College in Overland Park

Additional detail on schedule and bus stop locations will be made available in the very near future.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Bus Service on K-10

Post by dangerboy »

where did you see this?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sounds slick. They ought to run the same route durring football and bball games so that all of the Johnson Countians don't have to drive over and find parking. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

dangerboy wrote: where did you see this?
It was an email sent to KU students and faculty. Probably will be in the news tomorrow.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

kcmetro wrote: It was an email sent to KU students and faculty. Probably will be in the news tomorrow.
Must have only gone out to the Lawrence campus, we haven't seen anything about it on the Medical Center campus...
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

dangerboy wrote: Must have only gone out to the Lawrence campus, we haven't seen anything about it on the Medical Center campus...
It's a one-way service.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

It will only be serving the Lawrence and Edwards (JOCO) campuses. It won't be going to the Med Center.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

dangerboy wrote: where did you see this?
An email to JCCC faculty.