OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

He doesn't run a very big organization. Their annual budget isn't more than $5 million and nearly half that goes to salaries. They're officially a charity but that much for salaries is often describes as being a red flag for donations.

So their statewide annual budget for influencing things is less than the cost of one streetcar. That's tiny at the scale they try to work at.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Glass, Glazing and exterior curtain wall scopes have gone out to bid.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I was looking back in the archives and it's been a over a year since the last batch of renderings were released (Aug 16th, 2018).

KCDowntown
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KCDowntown wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 pm I was looking back in the archives and it's been a over a year since the last batch of renderings were released (Aug 16th, 2018).

KCDowntown
Yeah, we've seen little activity on that front. I was hoping to see a good quality walk through video rendering. The renderings we've seen so far give very little details.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mykem wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:50 pm
KCDowntown wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 pm I was looking back in the archives and it's been a over a year since the last batch of renderings were released (Aug 16th, 2018).

KCDowntown
Yeah, we've seen little activity on that front. I was hoping to see a good quality walk through video rendering. The renderings we've seen so far give very little details.
It’s design build, they may still not have the visual details finalized yet.

The plan was 60% designed by July, 90% by the end of the year.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

flyingember wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:54 am
mykem wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:50 pm

KCDowntown
It’s design build, they may still not have the visual details finalized yet.

The plan was 60% designed by July, 90% by the end of the year.
to me it looks like it's going to be a pretty standard airport terminal. Not sure how that hulking garage nearby will play out for the natural lighting inside the ticket lobby.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mykem wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:29 am to me it looks like it's going to be a pretty standard airport terminal. Not sure how that hulking garage nearby will play out for the natural lighting inside the ticket lobby.
They're putting skylights in as I recall.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

flyingember wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:06 pm
mykem wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:29 am to me it looks like it's going to be a pretty standard airport terminal. Not sure how that hulking garage nearby will play out for the natural lighting inside the ticket lobby.
According to the renderings at this time, they are. Too bad the garage has to be a whole story taller than the terminal though. I also think they should of left a little more room between the two so there is room to put something there in the future like a rail station, or a new car rental facility.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mykem wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 pm
According to the renderings at this time, they are. Too bad the garage has to be a whole story taller than the terminal though. I also think they should of left a little more room between the two so there is room to put something there in the future like a rail station, or a new car rental facility.
1.Between the garage and terminal is probably the worst place to put a train station.

2. A new rental center probably won’t be considered for at least another 20+ years (after terminal expansion). The parking garage in its current location is pretty much at the minimum distance it can be from the Airport Police and Airport Tower.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Is there any chance that they take terminal b down once the new terminal opens? What's the cost of keeping it around vs. just taking it out and having it ready for expansion?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:06 am Is there any chance that they take terminal b down once the new terminal opens? What's the cost of keeping it around vs. just taking it out and having it ready for expansion?
They already announced all three terminals are coming down.

Watch the changing overlay text on the top image here
https://www.buildkci.com/future-kci/
Last edited by flyingember on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:36 am
1.Between the garage and terminal is probably the worst place to put a train station.
The ideal spot would be a two level structure east of the garage and south of the approach road. Remove parking and cut an entrance to add a dedicated path through the garage on both levels to use the same road crossings.

The track can come in elevated at the end and avoid the garage access roads entirely and people come up a level for departure while arrivals is at level with ticketing.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Making any considerations for a train that isn't coming before the new building is EOL would be kind of silly anyway.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am Making any considerations for a train that isn't coming before the new building is EOL would be kind of silly anyway.
The same space could serve a dedicated BRT station. It's far from silly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am Making any considerations for a train that isn't coming before the new building is EOL would be kind of silly anyway.

Don't underestimate KC fighting kci 3.0
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

SAVE OUR FUTURE KCI!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:29 am
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:06 am Is there any chance that they take terminal b down once the new terminal opens? What's the cost of keeping it around vs. just taking it out and having it ready for expansion?

Hmm, is that budgeted though as part of this project?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:59 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:29 am

Hmm, is that budgeted though as part of this project?
I would have to search for where I saw the reference to be certain, but I believe so.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:36 am
mykem wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 pm

2. A new rental center probably won’t be considered for at least another 20+ years (after terminal expansion). The parking garage in its current location is pretty much at the minimum distance it can be from the Airport Police and Airport Tower.
SFO runs Airtrain between the terminals and the garage so idk why you would think that would be considered the worst place to put a station???
All I'm saying is the garage is right up next to the terminal roadway and there is absolutely no room for anything to possibly expand/ put there. And I'm sure, that there are more reasons than just close walking distance for the garage's location to be where it's going to be built.
As for the car rental facility, it's nice and I've used it annualy since 2010, and love the flow of it. Just wish it was within walking distance of the terminal.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mykem wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 pm SFO runs Airtrain between the terminals and the garage so idk why you would think that would be considered the worst place to put a station???
All I'm saying is the garage is right up next to the terminal roadway and there is absolutely no room for anything to possibly expand/ put there. And I'm sure, that there are more reasons than just close walking distance for the garage's location to be where it's going to be built.
As for the car rental facility, it's nice and I've used it annualy since 2010, and love the flow of it. Just wish it was within walking distance of the terminal.
Good point. The system doesn't need to be connected to anything else to be valuable. There's busses running all over the airport right now moving people to different destinations.

The train stop space could be used for a system between the terminal and the car rental facility and then onto the long term lots. There's far worse spots than the airport for a maintenance facility and instead of trying to lay 20 miles of track, we start with the 2.5 miles that provide the most immediate value to the most people and use this short section as the catalyst to connect to downtown when demand grows.

Adding $1 per car per day to park at the airport could bring in $3-4 million per year.