OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 pm I agree with most of the above. I just hope people remember the political leadership that led us here. No one campaigned for a beautiful airport. They were scared to even mention it with a vote, and even after the vote passed overwhelmingly, they're still scared.

We're waisting money on financing because the city is so stupid.

There was no political leadership to make this a good airport. Compare that to the Sprint center, or power and light, or private initiatives like the performing arts center or Nelson Atkins.

This project has had a complete lack of leadership and it shows in what we ended up with.
Agreed. Especially the first part. Which really isn't a leadership problem per se . More of a dumb public raking our leaders over the coals for "wasting money on an unneeded airport"

Additionally no airline was looking to make KC a signature place for them so none of them were willing to sign up for a bigger lease.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

We can’t forget that the relatively hot Kansas City construction market isn’t also playing into this.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 pm I agree with most of the above. I just hope people remember the political leadership that led us here. No one campaigned for a beautiful airport. They were scared to even mention it with a vote, and even after the vote passed overwhelmingly, they're still scared.

There was no political leadership to make this a good airport. Compare that to the Sprint center, or power and light, or private initiatives like the performing arts center or Nelson Atkins.

This project has had a complete lack of leadership and it shows in what we ended up with.
Yes, because they kept saying the didn't want a "Taj Mahal"
And that convince was the number one objective for a new airport terminal. They wanted to stress that because they were concerned with voter approval.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 pm People thought P&L was ugly when built and the Sprint Center was value engineered from its original rendering. The PAC is missing its entire third hall.

Now no one cares because they’re super functional as they are. The PAC look is super nice from the nkrth but I find the south side to be lazy at best and it really doesn’t matter.
The Sprint center was a competition between the best sports architects and a world renownded architect.

The power and light is rightly criticized for some issues, but I think mostly delivered.

The PAC they almost didn't build it. It went from three halls to two but the public pressure kept the design. It was a bad time so they had to move the third hall to build what is now one of the most iconic buildings in Kansas City.

Nelson Atkins is probably still controversial, but it gets architecture awards.

It would have been nice if they at least tried instead of your mantra of no one likes airports anyway. All those projects had people putting their entire life into it.

Name the person doing that for the airport?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:41 pm

I believe the city is not moving ahead with the private financing option because it was a stupid idea.

https://fox4kc.com/2019/03/07/nearly-1- ... -terminal/
I believe the first $90 million is privately financed instead of borrowing from city funds. I don't believe any bonds have been issued.

So the city will pay significant interest on a loan to avoid using their own money.

If I am wrong, someone correct me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The $90M is now bonds...
Eventually, city officials settled on a short-term bond borrowing that will be rolled into the long-term financing plan for the airport. The city is planning to issue bonds through the Industrial Development Authority, which will be repaid through fees from airlines for use of the airport. In the event airport revenue is not enough to service the debt, the airlines have agreed to guarantee it.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 80779.html
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Deleted
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:23 pm The $90M is now bonds...
Eventually, city officials settled on a short-term bond borrowing that will be rolled into the long-term financing plan for the airport. The city is planning to issue bonds through the Industrial Development Authority, which will be repaid through fees from airlines for use of the airport. In the event airport revenue is not enough to service the debt, the airlines have agreed to guarantee it.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 80779.html
Mea culpa
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Terminal A signage down. Construction trailers up.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Any news of a construction cam yet?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Now we enter the "Mission Gateway" phase.

OOOohhhhh...trolling is kind of fun.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

That brings up a good question, which gets built first- the airport or Mission Gateway?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:58 pm That brings up a good question, which gets built first- the airport or Mission Gateway?
*whispers*

Airport
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They both will beat picklemans downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:44 am They both will beat picklemans downtown.
=D> =D> =D>
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Lol
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Nothing like spring flowers and heavy demolition equipment.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Too bad Safdie didn't do our airport.

Safdie Architects Designs a 130-Foot-High Indoor Waterfall for Singapore’s Jewel Changi Airport

Most travelers are happy if an airport has clean restrooms, decent dining options, and a well-stocked souvenir store. But expectations will go sky-high with the opening of Jewel Changi Airport, designed by Safdie Architects.

A 130-foot-high indoor waterfall, a five-story terraced garden, and over 280 shops and restaurants now welcome travelers flying in and out of Singapore. Located at the heart of the renowned Changi Airport on the eastern tip of the island, Jewel brings amenities traditionally found in the city right to the doorstep of the Southeast Asian metropolis’s main aviation hub.
https://www.metropolismag.com/architect ... rchitects/

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:08 pm Too bad Safdie didn't do our airport.
Looks expensive
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:29 pmLooks expensive
Great buildings tend to be like that