Transportation topics in KC
TrolliKC
Supporter

Hyperloop between KC and STL

Post by TrolliKC »

Black & Veatch released results from Hyperloop Study with key findings:

- 80% increase in ridership demand from 16,000 to 51,000 riders per round trip
- Savings from less time spent on the road, adding up to $410 million per year
- Reduction in accidents along the I-70, putting up to $91 million per year back in people’s pockets
- Travel time between Kansas City and St. Louis could be as little as 28 minutes, compared to 3 ½ hours today, and travel time for trips from either Kansas City or St. Louis to Columbia could be 15 minutes, compared to nearly 2 hours
- The cost to take a hyperloop from St. Louis to Kansas City could be lower than the cost to drive (based on gas alone), while still cutting down the time by three hours
- The study confirms that VHO’s linear infrastructure costs are around 40% lower than those seen in high speed rail projects around the world, while the system delivers speeds that are two to three times faster

Virgin Hyperloop One press assets, including a video from a recent Missouri DevLoop visit, can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kodam1er771 ... ibQ2a?dl=0
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Hyperloop between KC and STL

Post by missingkc »

Any attempt at this will be killed in the legislature due to lobbying by the state's Fraternal Order of Gas Sellers and Convenience Store Owners.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm onboard for anything that can take me between KC and StL in 30 minutes for less than the cost of driving. I'd go twice a year just to walk around looking at old buildings.

8)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm I'm onboard for anything that can take me between KC and StL in 30 minutes for less than the cost of driving. I'd go twice a year just to walk around looking at old buildings.

8)
There is sort of. It has 6 wheels and 2 wings. It has a flight time of 30 minutes. Now if you use the IRS cost per mile, it’s cheaper than driving at $90. It’s called Southwest Airline’s 737
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i wish hyperloop would stop trolling us with this b.s.

meanwhile in china:

jiemian.com

i've ridden european engineered, proven tech, high speed rail in china, like a subway between two cities 100 miles apart going 200 mph.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm I'm onboard for anything that can take me between KC and StL in 30 minutes for less than the cost of driving. I'd go twice a year just to walk around looking at old buildings.

8)
There is sort of. It has 6 wheels and 2 wings. It has a flight time of 30 minutes. Now if you use the IRS cost per mile, it’s cheaper than driving at $90. It’s called Southwest Airline’s 737
that's no comparison to pulling up in a downtown station and being on the street in 5 minutes. when i fly to chicago i still have to battle getting out of o'hare and then either traffic or a long CTA ride, which doesn't include getting to the airport early. i'm looking forward to illinois high speed rail being done...because rail works.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

warwickland wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 am

8)
that's no comparison to pulling up in a downtown station and being on the street in 5 minutes. when i fly to chicago i still have to battle getting out of o'hare and then either traffic or a long CTA ride, which doesn't include getting to the airport early. i'm looking forward to illinois high speed rail being done...because rail works.
I totally agree with you in the benefits of high speed rail. HSR is what Missouri should build.

However, I think hyperloop , if it is even possible to build, is going to end up being a lot more like flying.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

8)
Yeah, not even close.

Southwest's flights are 55-60 minutes long from gate to gate and you have another ~30 minutes on the train into downtown on the St. Louis side and about 30-45 minutes on the bus on the KC side and a minimum of 30 minutes of padding for arrival, security, etc (boarding time)

Your 30 minutes is really 2.5 hours.

If you book for next week it's $208. If you book for February the cheapest is $103
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

By the time this thing gets built, we'll have Star Trek-like transporter technology. Won't even need it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:54 pm Any attempt at this will be killed in the legislature due to lobbying by the state's Fraternal Order of Gas Sellers and Convenience Store Owners.
The ignorance about this political reality is astonishing. Once we find out their public funding request, it might not even make it to the legislature.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

8)
And it's actually carrying real passengers now and the infrastructure is in place. None of that applies to Hyperloop (which is now basically maglev, which already existed). This is 100% marketing bullshit.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 am

8)
Yeah, not even close.

Southwest's flights are 55-60 minutes long from gate to gate and you have another ~30 minutes on the train into downtown on the St. Louis side and about 30-45 minutes on the bus on the KC side and a minimum of 30 minutes of padding for arrival, security, etc (boarding time)

Your 30 minutes is really 2.5 hours.

If you book for next week it's $208. If you book for February the cheapest is $103
(1) I said the flight time is 30 minutes. The Hyperloop time is at best a rough estimation of its “flight time” based off of never before achieved speeds. Yes, there is an extra 30 minutes of taxing and such when flying. But there is no way Hyperloop wouldn’t have the same. There would have to be some sort of “switching tracks”, and prolonged deceleration at each stop. This is going to really add time to the Hyperloop Trip.

(2) Hyperloop originally had proposed stations far out in the suburbs. Just like how the airports are in the suburbs.

(3) Do you expect Hyperloop to not need 30+ minutes of “padding time”? I don’t know how boarding wouldn’t take just as long as an airplane. A vacuum bullet is highly vulnerable and highly fragile. They are going to have to have TSA like security measures in place.

(4) SWA airfares start at $90-$100 and naturally increase as the travel date gets closer. (Less supply + they can milk business travelers who book tickets close in). Just like every other sort of modern transit, Hyperloop tickets will increase in price as travel date nears.

In my opinion, we already have something very similar to what Hyperloop plans on offering (if it’s even possible).

Edit: this isn’t meant to come off aggressive.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Can't find the link, but the Saudi's pulled their $1 billion investment in Virgin Hyperloop because Branson pulled out of the Davos in the Desert thing due to the Journalist being murdered. That will likely have two outcomes. 1. it might mean that VHO refocuses efforts on the US since they had been wanting to start in Dubai. 2. It could also slow the development due to such a significant funding loss.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

HyperloopTT CEO: Rides are coming 'earlier than you would think'
Hyperloop Transportation Technologies could open its first commercial lines as early as 2022, the company’s CEO said this week.

In an interview with CNBC from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Dirk Ahlborn estimated that passengers could ride hyperloop “probably earlier than you think. The commercial lines we expect to have done approximately in three years.”
Missouri is vying for a Hyperloop route from Kansas City to St. Louis, a trip for an estimated $30 that would take about 30 minutes compared with almost four hours by car. Its effort is in connection with Virgin Hyperloop One. The state's nine-month feasibility study, led by Kansas City-based engineering firm Black & Veatch, found in October that the route is a viable option.

https://tinyurl.com/y7qyv9xn

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/22/hyperlo ... -2022.html

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/01/22/h ... mbedplayer
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The route might be viable, but people have been dreaming of vactrains for 100+ years. I'll believe it when I see it.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

people keep overlooking the fact that freight is what will make the hyperloop feasible. In our age of exploding internet shopping with people expecting same day/next day deliveries, connecting KC, STL and Chicago is a good spine for their network as they are the top 3 freight rail hubs in the US and major multimodal hubs.

Human transport is just a bonus, but gets all the media attention.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dnweava wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:03 pm people keep overlooking the fact that freight is what will make the hyperloop feasible. In our age of exploding internet shopping with people expecting same day/next day deliveries, connecting KC, STL and Chicago is a good spine for their network as they are the top 3 freight rail hubs in the US and major multimodal hubs.

I’m not sure how this is much of an improvement over airfreight.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm
dnweava wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:03 pm people keep overlooking the fact that freight is what will make the hyperloop feasible. In our age of exploding internet shopping with people expecting same day/next day deliveries, connecting KC, STL and Chicago is a good spine for their network as they are the top 3 freight rail hubs in the US and major multimodal hubs.

Exactly, and all of that infrastructure has been built.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Frequency, speed for the distance as a premium service.

If you just sold a $150,000 engagement ring and must get it across state right now, spending a few hundred dollars to be certain that happens is no big deal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:02 am

Frequency, speed for the distance as a premium service.

If you just sold a $150,000 engagement ring and must get it across state right now, spending a few hundred dollars to be certain that happens is no big deal.
Most KC-STL-Chicago freight realistically does not require Hyperloop speeds. Think bulk commodities, heavy machinery, bulk domestic staples, etc. Companies involved with shipping these types of items seek lowest possible cost shipping options due to their ultra low margins.

I’m sure the ring example is true for the <1,00 people in the Metro who can afford that ring. Yours is not a realistic example. Premium freight requiring speed already travels by plane. Premium mail, medicines, ($150,000) rings.

In 2010, roughly 1,845 tons of freight moved through the regions airports. KCI reported ~105 tons in 2018. Total freight movement - all modes- for the metro region was 59,833,038 tons in 2010. That means 0.00003% of Kansas City region freight traveled by airplane - the quick/premium mode. The “premium freight” market that is championed just does not exist.