PortKC launches new inland port development

Transportation topics in KC
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

PortKC launches new inland port development

Post by missingkc »

New multimodal facility on site of old AK Steel near 485, Front St., and MO River. Rail, highway, and barge access.

https://www.waterwaysjournal.net/2018/0 ... hrough-p3/
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: PortKC launches new inland port development

Post by warwickland »

Interesting

I always wondered why there was so little river activity around KC and on the missouri river in general. must be some navigational reason for that, or maybe just inertia with most of the ports being on the mississippi in the state.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

You can transfer to a railroad at St. Louis to get to KC so why take a boat here?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Bulk by barge is cheaper than rail.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

This is really positive news - I assume KC will keep its other port. With the difficulties trucking is experiencing - demand for commodity barge traffic should really accelerate over the next couple of years.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm guessing that the renewed need for river barge traffic has something to do with the fact that 40 percent of American grain (mostly grown in the Midwest) is sent overseas now. A large amount of that is probably shipped out from New Orleans or Houston. Shipping grain from the Midwest using the Missouri, Ohio, and Mississippi makes the most sense when so much volume of grain is being sent over the oceans. The Chinese are also buying a lot of sand and cement for building construction. I think I read recently that China now uses more cement than the rest of the world combined.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The new inland port “Missouri River Terminal” is supposed to be an intermodal container port. Not commodities like the current one. UrbanSTL has a lot of information about a group called Americans Patriot Holdings that is about to build a line of river container ships. These new ships will service Missouri, Ohio, and Mississippi River cities out of a base just south of New Orleans.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

This is a terrible part of the city, environmentally ravaged and blighted after decades of heavy industry

I think this this is actually a really exciting project as labor and fuel continues to push overland truck shipping up and up in cost. Will be interested to see the final plans.

I have read several articles about planned ports near STL in Herculaneum using those Patriot Holdings ships.

https://www.workboat.com/news/coastal-i ... -services/

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 3f30c.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The KC port authority hosted an event for that shipping company. Sounds like they are he ones who plan on using this port
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Well, as long as we're going to keep the Missouri a big ditch, I would like to see as much economic benefit come from it as possible.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

a limiting factor for the missouri river is the last lock in the chain of rocks canal on the mississippi just north of st. louis, along with depth and all of the wing dikes. if they can scale these container ships down to work with that and still be profitable then great. all of the renderings of these things i have seen are for the non-lock and dam section of the mississippi river for st.louis and south and are rather large.

that being said im all about getting trucks off of I-70.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 am This is a terrible part of the city, environmentally ravaged and blighted after decades of heavy industry

I think this this is actually a really exciting project as labor and fuel continues to push overland truck shipping up and up in cost. Will be interested to see the final plans.

I have read several articles about planned ports near STL in Herculaneum using those Patriot Holdings ships.

https://www.workboat.com/news/coastal-i ... -services/

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 3f30c.html
here's a quote from that post-dispatch article:

Because the vessels are too large to get through the Mississippi River lock and dam system that starts north of St. Louis, officials said, the St. Louis area is a logical place to locate a loading and unloading hub, fed by rail, barge and truck.

Litrico said that of the local ports, his firm preferred Jefferson County because it’s south of the metro area’s bridges, which could cause clearance problems during high-water periods.

Litrico’s company also plans to build somewhat smaller container vessels that could get through the locks and also use tributaries such as the Missouri and Illinois rivers
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This project continues to move forward. Nossman will be providing legal advisory services to PKC as they pursue a P3 delivery. RFPs for commercial and financial advising went out earlier this month.

It sounds like PortKC envisions this project leading to a massive growth of manufacturing and industry jobs in the NorthEast and Blue River corridors.

Mods - can you rename this thread “Missouri River Terminal” as that is the official project name.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:02 pm This project continues to move forward. Nossman will be providing legal advisory services to PKC as they pursue a P3 delivery. RFPs for commercial and financial advising went out earlier this month.

It sounds like PortKC envisions this project leading to a massive growth of manufacturing and industry jobs in the NorthEast and Blue River corridors.

Mods - can you rename this thread “Missouri River Terminal” as that is the official project name.
Have there been any surveys on the dollar cost for remediation of this site?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:47 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:02 pm This project continues to move forward. Nossman will be providing legal advisory services to PKC as they pursue a P3 delivery. RFPs for commercial and financial advising went out earlier this month.

Have there been any surveys on the dollar cost for remediation of this site?
I’ve gotten mixed messages on that front. I had thought that the site was still a toxic waste land ,but Jon Stephens said in passing it was already remediated.

The planned port site was used as a landfill by the steel mill and BP Sugar Hill Refinery. IIRC, BP dumped heavy hydrocarbons (refinery left overs) in areas that were never recorded. An unremediated,active? coal waste (or such) pit sits adjacent to the site as well. I would imagine it has been leaking it’s contents onto the surrounding parcels.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

New render posted by Jon Stephens and re-tweeted by PortKC today? Ongoing conversations with MODOT about this inland container port.

I really agree that this seems to be a great idea that Kansas City can really drive the market for.

https://twitter.com/portofkc/with_repli ... r%5Eauthor
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:14 pm New render posted by Jon Stephens and re-tweeted by PortKC today? Ongoing conversations with MODOT about this inland container port.

I really agree that this seems to be a great idea that Kansas City can really drive the market for.

https://twitter.com/portofkc/with_repli ... r%5Eauthor
Similar renderings have been around for well over a year now. Setting up a rail/logistics hub with connections to every Class 1 in KC would be a first as far as I know. I see potential for an intermodal yard here to anchor the redevelopment of the valley.

The river shipping company on the other hand seems promising but I doubt their ability to get this off the ground in the proposed time frame. The people behind the ships also felt sketchy when I went to one of their pitches. They also made somewhat inappropriate jokes to my face about my demographic/background.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I wonder if they'll close the small port facility in the West Bottoms if this becomes a reality.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

missingkc wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 am I wonder if they'll close the small port facility in the West Bottoms if this becomes a reality.
I imagine it’d be easier to consolidate all river traffic, I didn’t even know the WB port was still in operation, what do they even process over there?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 am
missingkc wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 am I wonder if they'll close the small port facility in the West Bottoms if this becomes a reality.
I imagine it’d be easier to consolidate all river traffic, I didn’t even know the WB port was still in operation, what do they even process over there?
it reopened in 2015

Given they have rail connections in their current spot, I would hope this is about growing their capabilities rather than shutting down again.