Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by snigglefritz »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 70345.html

I wish that they had dedicated docking stations for the scooter "nests". Hopefully having all your CC info loaded into the app will blunt potential abuses a little bit. Regardless, I'm excited to see the extent to which these are utilized and how long it will take before petitions to ban them start circulating.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by Critical_Mass »

I'm excited to try these out, but are helmets really legally mandatory and enforced? That will keep our household from using this. My wife and I don't have helmets and don't plan on purchasing any for a three to five minute ride.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The Bird app shows 50+ scooters (maybe over 70) in Greater Downtown area but none in Midtown/Westport/Plaza area. Maybe they'll migrate naturally? Or would they move them back downtown if found elsewhere?
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

Unless KC has moped/bike helmet requirements, I don't think helmets are legally required. It looks like, since they are motorized, they need to stay on public rights-of-way (no sidewalks) and you need to have a valid license to drive them.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I think the chargers are required to return them to designated "nests", which appear to only be in Downtown at this time.

The article says that they will expand with more scooters in more neighborhoods, depending on demand.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

snigglefritz wrote:Unless KC has moped/bike helmet requirements, I don't think helmets are legally required. It looks like, since they are motorized, they need to stay on public rights-of-way (no sidewalks) and you need to have a valid license to drive them.
Can get a foldable bicycle helmet that more easily fits in backpack...
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... cle+helmet
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote:I'm excited to try these out, but are helmets really legally mandatory and enforced? That will keep our household from using this. My wife and I don't have helmets and don't plan on purchasing any for a three to five minute ride.
I don't think helmets are required--that notice in the app is just telling you to be aware what your jurisdiction requires...I think.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks to be catching on quickly. This morning it showed only a few scooters in River Market, at lunch hour there are quite a few more. There were a few at Anton's an hour ago, now none. They're shifting around.

Could this impact streetcar ridership? In some cases it may improve ridership if used to get to streetcar but given they're motorized, it could hurt streetcar ridership more.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:Looks to be catching on quickly. This morning it showed only a few scooters in River Market, at lunch hour there are quite a few more. There were a few at Anton's an hour ago, now none. They're shifting around.

Could this impact streetcar ridership? In some cases it may improve ridership if used to get to streetcar but given they're motorized, it could hurt streetcar ridership more.
Now that I've seen them in action I'm coming around to the idea that we should be worried about B-Cycle.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Given they can be dropped off anywhere, electric and depending on range, agree Bcycle could be in trouble unless scooters cause issues and KCMO bans them. A couple cities have so far.

edit: Back down to only 4 scooters in RM at about 12:30. They are indeed being used.

Found that range is 15-18 miles if 100% charged, top speed 15mph.

Hope to see in Midtown/Plaza area soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: e-Scooter Share

Post by KCPowercat »

You don't have to take the picture to stop the ride....my first one I accidentally fat fingered by the screen and it still stopped the ride. I did take the picture the second time.

I rode on the sidewalk...and if they want to make that illegal I want all those security guards on segways off the sidewalk too
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DaveKCMO wrote:
grovester wrote:That's not going to work if it's a parking spot.
That's the furniture zone. It's where you'll find street trees, bike racks, bus stop signs, and parking meters. Park your car accordingly.
Those things have the advantage of being immovable objects.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's really not in the way at all....that's like 15th on the list of potential problems that may come from these.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I found it pretty convenient over lunch to use for running an errand. The $4 price was maybe a little steep and will help keep my B-cycle membership going in cooler weather.

I rode in the street except when I needed to go the wrong way on a street :D

Riding on the sidewalk with all the grates and people (I don't care what Rustin Dodd says) makes me nervous.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:^Given they can be dropped off anywhere, electric and depending on range, agree Bcycle could be in trouble unless scooters cause issues and KCMO bans them. A couple cities have so far.

edit: Back down to only 4 scooters in RM at about 12:30. They are indeed being used.

Found that range is 15-18 miles if 100% charged, top speed 15mph.

Hope to see in Midtown/Plaza area soon.
Updating my prior comments: My lunch ride was a little over $4 for a 20 minute ride. I think at that price I'd use it for shorter trips but on cooler days still use B-Cycle depending on my destination.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Locations & ETA comparison are now available for Birds in Transit app: https://transitapp.com
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Excited for KC to have these! They'll spread out soon enough. Such incredible city-condensing devices, that are just getting started.

More discussion from the past month here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20572
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bspecht wrote:Excited for KC to have these! They'll spread out soon enough. Such incredible city-condensing devices, that are just getting started.

Spechter what do you make of the price? Seems to add up rather quickly.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

smh wrote:
bspecht wrote:Excited for KC to have these! They'll spread out soon enough. Such incredible city-condensing devices, that are just getting started.

Spechter what do you make of the price? Seems to add up rather quickly.
Can – depends on you other options, almost always cheaper than solo Uber or taxi. Pricing is definitely structured for point-to-point travel now, but don't be surprised to see monthly subscription options before too long.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like they are spreading outside of downtown a bit - one currently in KCK and 4 E of Costco. Appears to be Bcycle office and they are nearly fully charged. Is Bcycle collaborating?