Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote:Will streetcar/scooter complement or compete for riders?
Probably both. Someone with a starting point and destination that aren't too far apart in the Downtown area may just opt for a scooter instead of the streetcar. Someone looking to go from somewhere like 18th and Vine to the River Market could use both streetcar and scooter.

I think as both the streetcar and Bird are expanded into Midtown, there are more instances where using mixed-modes makes more sense.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:
earthling wrote:So just did a spot check on map and it shows less than 50 again. In this case appears to be about a lot checked out at once in active use as the number of map updates per minute higher than through the week. Makes sense given streetcar ridership also higher on weekends. Will streetcar/scooter complement or compete for riders?
Anecdata alert! My scooter trips have mostly replaced walking trips, and a few bus trips (my office is located on several bus lines but they are relatively low frequency and only take me to the East Side or the CBD). I plan to reduce the scooter/walking replacement trips when it's no longer 80 degrees at 7:30am.
I also see using it particularly on hot days. Walking blocks yesterday in 100 was uncomfortable but didn't notice heat when riding scooter.

So between 11:09 and 11:10AM I counted 12 updates on map, much higher than through the week - though next minute only a few. Or to summarize, first day had a map update (check in/out) about once over minute or two, next couple days was typically 1-5/minute with weekend even more usage on avg. If Bird only needs to see 300 rides/day to trigger an expansion, that shouldn't be an issue.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
earthling wrote:Will streetcar/scooter complement or compete for riders?
I think as both the streetcar and Bird are expanded into Midtown, there are more instances where using mixed-modes makes more sense.
Agree.

On another note, cities should work with scooter operators to develop city-specific laws/rules within the app. Like at checkout, specify the amount of fine if riding on a sidewalk. Even if not enforced, should discourage misuse. A KC article did mention KCPD will fine sidewalk riders.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

My first Bird sighting in KC was one trapped in my apartment lobby at 11:30 last night...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

All of them have disappeared to the west side of downtown. :D

I love these things and hope they're successful. It's going to take a few years for infrastructure to catch up.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's actually really interesting to watch them move around. I don't have any near me in the CBD right now. If they're happy with the launch, I hope they'll drop some more. First player advantage :)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Very few on the map now at 4:38PM. Seems ridership is so high most are running out of power by late afternoon, just a guess.

We were in RM this afternoon (late lunch at Freestyle Poke - yum) to Union Station and noticed anecdotally fewer ride on sidewalk compared to first few days. Also didn't see any poorly parked. BTW, streetcars were often jam packed with 4 running.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

earthling wrote:Very few on the map now at 4:38PM. Seems ridership is so high most are running out of power by late afternoon, just a guess.

We were in RM this afternoon (late lunch at Freestyle Poke - yum) to Union Station and noticed anecdotally fewer ride on sidewalk compared to first few days. Also didn't see any poorly parked. BTW, streetcars were often jam packed with 4 running.
Our sidewalks are too shitty to ride on. I think a lot of people start on the sidewalk until they get a feel for the controls, and move to the street once they get comfortable.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote:All of them have disappeared to the west side of downtown. :D

I love these things and hope they're successful. It's going to take a few years for infrastructure to catch up.
Two hours later there’s a total of seven available

One is way up off NW 68th
Three in downtown NKC
One in the river market
Two in midtown.

Then one more appeared in midtown making it 8.

Yesterday evening around 7:00 saw six in use in two blocks downtown. They were all pairs of people riding together. One set looked like they were being used for a date.

If this becomes normal they will need to add a lot more.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If you take a scooter on the streetcar do they still charge by the mile? Is it GPS based or does each scooter have an internal odometer?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:If you take a scooter on the streetcar do they still charge by the mile? Is it GPS based or does each scooter have an internal odometer?
It's time based, by the minute (after the initial $1 checkout fee). Each scooter has a GPS radio and a cellular modem, so they know where they're at all times. I tried to rent one today that had a messed up modem, so it wouldn't let me check it out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Article on Chargers, aka Bird Hunters...
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ss/560747/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Did some random checks around 2PM in KC and other cities. KC already down to under 20 on map, maybe meaning most are already out of power, possibly implying more usage than even yesterday as it hit below 20 after 3PM.

I checked Dallas (hundreds operating), Austin (about 100 like KC) and Baltimore (a couple hundred) and most still have power at this time. Either they have Chargers recharging throughout day or KC activity is abnormally high - or something else. No matter how you slice it, time to drop another 100 in KC. Or will the novelty wear down?

I also noticed none show a charge below 15% in any city so suspect when it hits 15% it's taken offline (allowing enough power for Charger people to find scooter).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

We had several that showed on the map but had problems today. I ran into one yesterday that had a similar issue: showed on the map, but can't check out it.

Today we rode to La Bodega for lunch, then rode up Summit (slowly!), across 14th to Washington/Wyandotte, over the Town of Kansas bridge, down the elevator and across Riverfront Park, then up Lydia/2nd/Holmes/3rd to City Market. Great way to explore your city on a warm day.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^What was your total tab for all those rides?

Under 10 on map now.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

To La Bodega
1.4mi / 0:12m / $2.80

To City Market
5.3mi / 0:34m / $6.10
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A 7 mile tour for under $10 not too bad.

I had a problem a couple days ago where the QR code wouldn't scan on 3 scooters next to each other. So I tried the 4 letter code but also wouldn't work, like it wouldn't submit. It worked fine for others so I closed app, re-opened app and it then worked.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Does anyone know if any of have been stolen or tampered with?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Does anyone know if any of have been stolen or tampered with?
Someone reported finding a few in a recycling bin, but they were rescued.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Dave, you mentioned that '100 were dropped in KC'. Seems to be only 70-80 in service each morning so apparently a couple dozen are broken/missing/stolen/hoarded or something along those lines. They have been stolen/chopped in other cities for the batteries, apparently can get up to $50 for the batteries.