Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by earthling »

In STL, Lime cut bikes down to about 200. And scooters are at about 1000, which apparently is the current limit for KC for 2 operators. How many Bcycle bikes in KC now, 200-250?

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/met ... b62b7.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:47 amHow many Bcycle bikes in KC now, 200-250?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've ridden a couple different types of limes and they don't seem to have as good of power...granted I'm not the smallest rider ever but the birds I've ridden seem to have more power?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:15 pm I've ridden a couple different types of limes and they don't seem to have as good of power...granted I'm not the smallest rider ever but the birds I've ridden seem to have more power?
Conversely, Birds seem to adhere strictly to the 15mph speed limit while most of the Limes can easily hit 17mph. I've also had more issues with the Bird app than the Lime app, and I like that non-riders can report improperly parked scooters in the Lime app.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I like the lime app better feature wise and the checkout / check-in flow seems to be quicker.... but my last two lime rides when I end the ride it gets all buggy after I take the pic and the app seems to think I've still got the scooter checked out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The newest birds with the underlighting are my new favorite.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bird has cut down on midtown scooters lately, though Lime still has many.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

earthling wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:52 am Bird has cut down on midtown scooters lately, though Lime still has many.
The fleet has been down lately again. The new "Gen 0" tanks were having many issues so almost all have been pulled, and that's why we have the Segway's now. Expect an uptick in Birds again as 200+ were supposed to be delivered this week.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Ok, when is the city going to start cracking down and ticketing people for riding these things on the sidewalks? They were everywhere on the sidewalks on First Friday. Crowded sidewalks, and about every minute the call of "Excuse me! Coming through! Excuse me!" as another herd of scooter riders pushed their way through the crowd instead of being in the street where they belong. In one section where pedestrian traffic was lighter my 5-year-old nephew missed by just inches getting hit by one going not quite at full speed because he jumped up from a bench to run toward his cousin.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Given that FF attracts the bridge/tunnel crowd there will always be newbie riders who don't know the law and getting used to riding them. Would help if the app specified city fine for sidewalk riding with a popup screen when checking a scooter out. Even if not enforced it would get the message across.

Methinks the City needs to be specific about say, a $60 fine, even if they don't enforce it. Would be a bit involved for operators to track fines per city but many national apps providing city services have city specific values to deal with. It's doable.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

KCFD: Only 19 accidents in four months involving electric scooters popular in Crossroads, downtown

https://www.startlandnews.com/2018/11/k ... dium=email
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I wonder how many car accidents there were during that same period?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

apparently the nationwide rate is 4.2 crashes per million miles driven
per capita drivers each drive about 12,000 miles per year

If the average driver comes downtown to work and drives 10 miles round trip on downtown streets (50 miles per week) for all 28,000 jobs that's 1.4 million miles per day downtown or 511 million miles annually just for employment.

So that's 2146 crashes annually, or 5-6 per day.

Whereas scooters have one every 6 days. So the car rate is no less than 6x higher. The number would go up including tourists, people who live downtown and work elsewhere, people passing through downtown, workers that visit downtown, etc
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

How many car crashes typically involve injuries? (which is what they were talking about and I guess is what i should have asked in the beginning)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:03 pm How many car crashes typically involve injuries? (which is what they were talking about and I guess is what i should have asked in the beginning)

For pedestrians hit by cars, 1700 per year across the metro. There's MARC studies on this.
Hard to get good data on the subject because nearly everything covers deaths
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Lime recalled it's Gen 1 scooters (Okai) in addition to the Segway scooters for the concerns of the decks breaking. Gen 3 should be the only one's you see out and about for awhile. Lime is ramping down as well with a sharp decrease in nests for releasing. Bird hasn't changed a thing so far except for picking up the scooters early on the days it snows.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Lime is launching per minute car share in Seattle. Can rent via same app as scooters.

"Rides in the LimePod will cost $1 to unlock the car and 40 cents per minute of use." ($24/hr)

So under $15 for airport run from Plaza if no traffic, less from downtown.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/13/lime- ... this-week/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

When they first announced their move into car sharing a few months ago, they indicated they would launch it in all 125 of their markets. That obviously includes KC. However, KCMO has not prepared for "free floating" car share at all and is still designing a pilot program for scooters (and facilitating a less successful Zipcar pilot downtown).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would think Lime will also need to arrange dedicated parking for airports, which would probably be a popular use especially in KC (not having effective public transit to airport).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/MattFlenerKMBC/stat ... 2244718593
Ridership numbers for @limebike and @BirdRide scooters in KC so far 259,580 rides so far. 79,149 unique riders from July-Nov.
That's about 65K per MONTH for 1,000 devices.

Meanwhile, KCATA provides about 45,000 trips per DAY. Streetcar provides about 6K trips per DAY. Johnson County provides about 1,200 trips per DAY.

Transit makes up about 1% of all commute trips in the region, per ACS data.

Uber/Lyft provide about 20K trips per DAY in the region. Docked bike share provides about 25K trips per YEAR.