Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by flyingember »

benjaminkelley wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 am The police department has no enforcement over the usage of bike lanes? This seem like a problem.
Too much of city code around bikes and pedestrians date to the mid 1980s and this is far from the best example of ancient items in city code.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Matt Staub has tweeted out that he's working with the council to fill that gap.

They also can't write tickets for birds on the sidewalk then either as there isn't a city ordinance disallowing it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Had a comfortable and safe feeling ride over lunch today. Only one person told me to "get the fuck out of the road". And, strangely, it was a person headed the opposite direction. What're you gonna do.
mykn

Post by mykn »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:27 pm Had a comfortable and safe feeling ride over lunch today. Only one person told me to "get the fuck out of the road". And, strangely, it was a person headed the opposite direction. What're you gonna do.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:27 pm Had a comfortable and safe feeling ride over lunch today. Only one person told me to "get the fuck out of the road". And, strangely, it was a person headed the opposite direction. What're you gonna do.
that was me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

what area were you riding?

LOL at aholes being aholes.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

This was Grand just south of Truman. I was headed north, A-hole headed south.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mykn wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:47 pm
Lol, exactly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:08 pm This was Grand just south of Truman. I was headed north, A-hole headed south.
So even where there was a bike lane....lol that guy.

Rode my longest ride yesterday (over a mile) and had a great time...and nobody yelled at me!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I ride them almost exclusively on Grand. Assholes will be assholes.

I actually struggle with etiquette. I don't want to drive on sidewalks, but i also don't feel safe driving on the side of the road, especially around intersections. In the very rare situation where I'm around a busy street, I drive in the lane especially if I'm turning. If I feel like I'm holding up traffic, I get off the street.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:48 pm I actually struggle with etiquette. I don't want to drive on sidewalks, but i also don't feel safe driving on the side of the road, especially around intersections. In the very rare situation where I'm around a busy street, I drive in the lane especially if I'm turning. If I feel like I'm holding up traffic, I get off the street.
Perhaps, Bird will succeed in Kansas City where it has failed in other cities because we care about etiquette. I can’t imagine someone in NY or SF or Portland caring about whether they are holding up traffic. Our ‘nice’ personalities might actually benefit us after all.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

same here. I try and stay on the road but if it's looking dicey upcoming and the sidewalks aren't packed from like an event, I'm jumping on a sidewalk....or if there was a busy sidewalk, I'd just jump off and walk it for a bit.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

First Friday was the perfect use case for scooters/bikes over cars tonight. Dockless cars blocking the box at every intersection, stacked a dozen deep on Grand, Main, 19th, and 20th. Feels really good to zip past a line of cars in the bike lanes...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like Bird is experimenting with morning Nests. There are a bunch concentrated on Plaza today but not much rest of Midtown/Westport as yesterday. This could be the first real test for any Plaza outcry with about 3 dozen starting within a few blocks. Though they'll fan out to surrounding areas over the day.

Odd that River Market appears to have zero Nests this morning, the busiest day of week. Did RM request this? Then again, maybe all are in use.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Outside downtown, this Sunday morning Bird nests more focused along Westport Rd and Plaza, they seem to avoid Main and east for nests. But city overall apparently hasn't hit much over 100 scooters yet. Doesn't seem to be nearly enough as last evening most were gone/off map by 5PM.

They are rolling out to a lot of new cities so KC expansion might be on backburner.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Plaza is now a no ride/park zone
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:25 pm Plaza is now a no ride/park zone
Doesn’t seem to be working very well. Six are available on the Plaza right now. How long til someone suggests a bird mob?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I don't think it's very enforceable.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Classic Plaza move.

I'm curious how a decision on a no bird zone gets made. Does KCMO make the call w/ Bird?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sigh, though not surprising. Means no morning nests. And saw somewhere that Bird may cancel your acct if you repeatedly park in a red zone.